Axel question | Golden Skate

Axel question

min1228

Spectator
So to jump axels / waltz you bend down on your skating leg in order to jump up right?

Well my problem is that when I do this for axel I get too much of an left outside edge that causes me to hook n jump around myself, causing upto whole 1/2 pre rotation.

Waltz jump, waltz loop, waltz anything, any axel exercises it doesn’t happen but when I try for axels most times it happens.

I’m gonna go nuts, I’ve built a bad habit and now I believe I don’t think I’ll ever fix this 😭 I tried not doing axels for a month then attempt at it month after but it just happens..

I’m so jealous of the skaters who can do axels / delayed axel with distance n jumping forward..

Anyways that’s me

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
So to jump axels / waltz you bend down on your skating leg in order to jump up right?

Well my problem is that when I do this for axel I get too much of an left outside edge that causes me to hook n jump around myself, causing upto whole 1/2 pre rotation.

Waltz jump, waltz loop, waltz anything, any axel exercises it doesn’t happen but when I try for axels most times it happens.

I’m gonna go nuts, I’ve built a bad habit and now I believe I don’t think I’ll ever fix this 😭 I tried not doing axels for a month then attempt at it month after but it just happens..

I’m so jealous of the skaters who can do axels / delayed axel with distance n jumping forward..

Anyways that’s me
So are you asking for advice or just venting?

robosk8er7

Spectator

Anyways that’s me
A whole 1/2 rotation is too much, but if you look at the newer technique for axels, there is a small amount of “hook” that happens before you leave the ice. Likewise, in your other jumps, you don’t want to pre-rotate per se, but a small part of your rotation starts on the ice. This is heresy to the older skaters but it’s the newest standard for teaching these jumps.

Aside from that, consult your coach :)

kolyadafan2002

Fan of Kolyada
Final Flight
A whole 1/2 rotation is too much, but if you look at the newer technique for axels, there is a small amount of “hook” that happens before you leave the ice. Likewise, in your other jumps, you don’t want to pre-rotate per se, but a small part of your rotation starts on the ice. This is heresy to the older skaters but it’s the newest standard for teaching these jumps.

Aside from that, consult your coach :)
Even standard to older skaters. Sal, toe and loop has always had this rotation (looking back to dick button). Axel may be from forwards to the older older skaters, but looking to David Jenkins (1957), he did 1/2 on the ice sometimes. May have been more uncommon, but not unheard of.