British Champs: Nationals Predictions Game (N/S Round) | Golden Skate

British Champs: Nationals Predictions Game (N/S Round)

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Here is the thread where you can make your predictions for the British Championships.

Entries/Results Page:
http://www.iceresultsuk.org.uk/BritishChampionship/2017/

The Senior competitions start on 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] December 2017 at 14:28 GMT with the Short Dance.

So, the target time to get your predictions in is 1 hour before that, i.e. 13:28 GMT.

If you need any help working out what time this is where you are, here is the Time Converter that Mrs. P has been very kindly directing us to the past few years.

Please remember to read the rules for the Predictions Game:

https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?67496

Entries

Ladies:

Men:

Pairs:

Dance:

Please Note: On the Entries / Results Page, they have mistakenly said that Robynne Tweedale is skating with Nick Buckland, rather than his wee brother Joe. I’ve heard of skaters competing in Singles and Pairs in the same event. But skating with two different partners in the same category at an event! That would be something! :drama:

Let the fun begin!!! :biggrin:

CaroLiza_fan

I wonder who will possibly win in the pairs' category?!!

On a more serious note, is that really it for entries? So few, which is really depressing. Maybe we should invite competitors from Scandinavian countries to boost numbers a bit? And maybe some of the Russians who haven't quite made their own championships?

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I wonder who will possibly win in the pairs' category?!!

On a more serious note, is that really it for entries? So few, which is really depressing. Maybe we should invite competitors from Scandinavian countries to boost numbers a bit? And maybe some of the Russians who haven't quite made their own championships?

Have a look at the number of entries in the younger Ladies competitions: 46 in Basic Novice A; 34 in Basic Novice B; 30 in Juniors.

The numbers for the Men's and Dance competitions are much smaller, but still quite respectable. Most of these competitions have between 5 and 7 entries, with the lowest being 4. The exception is Advanced Novice B Men, which has a grand total of 11 entries!

Pairs is very poor. Only Basic Novice has more than 1 entry, and it only has 3.

Rather than importing skaters from other countries, I think something needs to be done to encourage the kids to stick with it. Like, there are a very healthy number of girls taking up singles skating, as evidenced by the sheer number of Novice and Junior competitors. But, they fall off once you get to the Senior competitions.

But, I suppose that once they hit their mid-teens, priorities shift to GCSE's, and then A-levels. Which isn't a bad thing for real life, but is for the sport.

Oh, and something definitely needs to be done to try to get more boys to take up figure skating, as that is why there are so few pairs teams at all levels.

It'll be nice to see Zoe get another British title under her belt. But, it must feel pretty depressing to know that you didn't have to achieve anything to get it - you just had to turn up.

CaroLiza_fan

Weathergal

Medalist
Men
1 Graham NEWBERRY
2 Phillip HARRIS
3 Peter-James HALLAM
---
4 Harry MATTICK

Ladies
1 Natasha MCKAY
2 Nina POVEY
3 Karly ROBERTSON
4 Danielle HARRISON
5 Kristen SPOURS
---
6 Katie POWELL

Pairs
1 Zoe JONES / Christopher BOYADJI (I added this prediction because I'd like to get something correct :drama:

Dance
1 Penny COOMES / Nicholas BUCKLAND
2 Lilah FEAR / Lewis GIBSON
3 Robynne TWEEDALE / Joseph BUCKLAND
4 Olivia DUFOUR / Luke RUSSELL
5 Jessica MARJOT / Aleksandr JEMELJANOV

Have a look at the number of entries in the younger Ladies competitions: 46 in Basic Novice A; 34 in Basic Novice B; 30 in Juniors.

The numbers for the Men's and Dance competitions are much smaller, but still quite respectable. Most of these competitions have between 5 and 7 entries, with the lowest being 4. The exception is Advanced Novice B Men, which has a grand total of 11 entries!

Pairs is very poor. Only Basic Novice has more than 1 entry, and it only has 3.

Rather than importing skaters from other countries, I think something needs to be done to encourage the kids to stick with it. Like, there are a very healthy number of girls taking up singles skating, as evidenced by the sheer number of Novice and Junior competitors. But, they fall off once you get to the Senior competitions.

But, I suppose that once they hit their mid-teens, priorities shift to GCSE's, and then A-levels. Which isn't a bad thing for real life, but is for the sport.

Oh, and something definitely needs to be done to try to get more boys to take up figure skating, as that is why there are so few pairs teams at all levels.

It'll be nice to see Zoe get another British title under her belt. But, it must feel pretty depressing to know that you didn't have to achieve anything to get it - you just had to turn up.

CaroLiza_fan
Zoe's great; I remember her battle with Jenna Arrowsmith back in the '90s. I'm a similar age to her, and can't imagine being thrown around on a regular basis!

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Men
1 Graham NEWBERRY
2 Phillip HARRIS
3 Peter-James HALLAM
---
4 Harry MATTICK

Ladies
1 Natasha MCKAY
2 Nina POVEY
3 Karly ROBERTSON
4 Danielle HARRISON
5 Kristen SPOURS
---
6 Katie POWELL

Pairs
1 Zoe JONES / Christopher BOYADJI (I added this prediction because I'd like to get something correct :drama:

Dance
1 Penny COOMES / Nicholas BUCKLAND
2 Lilah FEAR / Lewis GIBSON
3 Robynne TWEEDALE / Joseph BUCKLAND
4 Olivia DUFOUR / Luke RUSSELL
5 Jessica MARJOT / Aleksandr JEMELJANOV

Unfortunately the pairs one doesn't count but I certainly understand the spirit!

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Guys - the Senior competitions start TODAY, not tomorrow.

The provisional timetable that I was working from said "Saturday 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] December" and "Sunday 4[SUP]th[/SUP] December", when it should have said "Saturday 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] December" and "Sunday 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] December". The dates for the weekdays at the start of the file were right, so I didn't twig that the dates for the weekend were wrong.

I've now fixed the date in the OP.

Thank goodness this is a non-scoring round. :drama:

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Zoe's great; I remember her battle with Jenna Arrowsmith back in the '90s. I'm a similar age to her, and can't imagine being thrown around on a regular basis!

Unfortunately, Zoe had already retired by the time I started getting interested in figure skating. But, I saw what she did at her comeback Nationals a couple of years ago, and it was amazing. I felt so sorry for her and for Danielle with the way it turned into a farce, because they both put in brilliant performances that did not deserve to be overshadowed by off-ice mistakes by the panel.

Anyway, here are my predictions for this year's Nationals.

Last season, Natasha McKay came out of no-where and surprised everybody by winning the Ladies title. But, coming into this, I was still looking at Danielle Harrison as the favourite. And Karly Robertson to be the bridesmaid yet again.

That was until I looked at how the girls have been getting on so far this season.

Natasha McKay set a huge new absolute PB when she finished 6th at the Coupe de Nice in October, putting her ahead of everybody else in the National field. And Nina Povey set a new absolute PB a fortnight ago when she finished 4th at the Warsaw Cup to put her into second. Karly and Danielle were only 3rd and 4th on the absolute PB list, with their scores from last year’s Nationals.

So, it seems Natasha’s wins last November at the Open d’Andorra and the British Championships weren’t a flash in the pan after all. Her scores have stayed a lot higher since then. You can’t argue with that.

Danielle hasn’t been scoring well this season so far. But, she just got into the 140’s at her last competition 3 weeks ago, the Volvo Open. So, I still fancy her to get onto the podium here.

So, the debate was about the order of 2nd to 4th. As I said, Nina has the highest score, and from most recently. But, apart from that one competition, her scores have been pretty similar to Danielle’s. Whereas Karly was consistently higher than both of them.

In the end, I went for an all Dundee Club podium, with the 2 Scottish girls at the top. Of the four English girls, I put Danielle into 3rd; Nina into 4th; Kristen into 5th; and the remaining Dundee Club member, Katie Powell, into 6th.

When I came to the Men, I was surprised to see just one of the Newberry brothers taking part. And an even bigger surprise when I looked at Jack’s Rink Results Bio, and found nothing since March 2015!

Anyway, going by how they have been scoring over the past couple of years, it looks like it’s going to be a titanic battle between brother Graham, and Phillip Harris. Newberry scored his absolute PB just 2 weeks ago when he won the Merano Cup. BUT, Harris scored a higher absolute PB a month previously when he finished 7th in the Coupe de Nice.

However, I went for Newberry, as he has done a lot more competitions in the past year (14 for Newberry since last year’s Nationals, compared to 4 for Harris), and has broken the 200 point mark twice, whereas Harris only did it once.

Hallam has only done one competition since last year’s Nationals. But, he has consistently scored higher than Mattick, so I put Hallam onto the podium.

Pairs – well, I think we know who is going to win this.

Same in Dance. But, we could have an interesting fight for second. When Coomes and Buckland were out of action last year, Fear and Gibson won by 12 points over Tweedale and Buckland. But, with big brother Nick back, Joe will want to make it a Buckland 1-2.

It’ll be hard, because (as far as I can see) they have never beaten Fear and Gibson. So, I decided to be boring and went with form.

In fact, although it was not my intention, my Senior Dance predictions turned out to be identical to the results from the IJS Sheffield back at the start of August.

CaroLiza_fan

BRITISH CHAMPIONSHIPS

Ladies

1. Natasha MCKAY, DDE
2. Karly ROBERTSON, DDE
3. Danielle HARRISON, DDE
4. Nina POVEY, ISH
5. Kristen SPOURS, GUI

Just for fun:
6. Katie POWELL, DDE

Men

1. Graham NEWBERRY, LVL
2. Phillip HARRIS, COV
3. Peter-James HALLAM, ISH
4. Harry MATTICK, COV

Pairs

1. Zoe JONES / Christopher BOYADJI, SWI

Ice Dance

1. Penny COOMES / Nicholas BUCKLAND, NIC
2. Robynne TWEEDALE / Joseph BUCKLAND, NIC
3. Lilah FEAR / Lewis GIBSON, AXP
4. Olivia DUFOUR / Luke RUSSELL, NISA
5. Jessica MARJOT / Aleksandr JEMELJANOV, STR

asp11

Just a dedicated fan - not a skater
On the Ice
Sorry, but what does N/S mean?

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Sorry, but what does N/S mean?

The scores don't count towards the overall Game. It's basically just for fun.

We use this tactic for events where there are some people who want to make predictions, but there is not enough demand to make it a full blown round.

CaroLiza_fan

asp11

Just a dedicated fan - not a skater
On the Ice
The scores don't count towards the overall Game. It's basically just for fun.

We use this tactic for events where there are some people who want to make predictions, but there is not enough demand to make it a full blown round.

CaroLiza_fan

Thanks! Makes sense.

Alex D

Record Breaker
Do we have a thread to discuss the british skaters at nationals?

Ice Dance results in juniors and seniors look very interesting, maybe someone has first hand information about their performances or a video link?

CaroLiza_fan

Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
OK, so since this was a non-scoring round, I scored all four categories.

Although, there only were two players, so it wasn’t that difficult! :p

Here are the Ladies results.

GOLD with 55 points: CaroLiza_fan.

SILVER with 45 points: Weathergal.

Here are the Men’s results.

GOLD with 25 points: CaroLiza_fan, Weathergal.

Here are the Dance results.

GOLD with 75 points: Weathergal.

SILVER with 65 points: CaroLiza_fan.

Although, I should add that I would have got a perfect score as well if I had actually remembered to check that my predictions were correct before I posted them! Because I said in my analysis that I was having Fear and Gibson in second, followed by Tweedale and Buckland in third. But in my predictions, I had them the other way around. :bang:

I’m an idiot! :slink:

Pairs was not included in the Game due to the low number of entries. But, we both predicted anyway, and remarkably we both got the results completely spot on!

Congratulations!!! :cheer: :clap: :rock: :party2: :points:

CaroLiza_fan