Deniss Vasiljevs | Page 220 | Golden Skate

Deniss Vasiljevs

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Did anyone read specifically what music from La Bayadere?.I wondered. if that meant it would be from the Pas de deux. I was also wondering if anyone has skated to Bayadere before.
Muramoto/Takahashi and Alissa Czisny come to mind, I'm not sure if there have been others.
Since Vadim mentioned Solor I am guessing it would include music from scenes involving him (i.e. variations or PDD with Nikiya or Gamzatti)?

ChristineB

On the Ice
Did anyone read specifically what music from La Bayadere?.I wondered. if that meant it would be from the Pas de deux. I was also wondering if anyone has skated to Bayadere before.
I think Kana and Daisuke skated to music from La Bayadere, if I'm not mistaken. Not sure which specific piece of music we'll get, but I'm SO looking forward to it. Deniss is so balletic and this seems like a perfect convergence of ballet and artistry.

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker
Alissa Czisny had a Bayadere program in 2005-2006, with a pot-pourri of airs from the ballet:

Of course, Kana Muramoto and Daisuke Takahashi had theirs, with gorgeous costumes, in 2021-2022:

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker
Kana Muramoto and Daisuke Takahashi also had a pot-pourri of different airs from the ballet. What I found original is that they started with the beginning of the Third Act, the slow descent of the Shadows: this part requires absolute perfection from the corps-de-ballet, but when it is reached it gives me goosebumps; I believe though, that for people who don't know and love ballet, this part is very boring (but not the music):

Of course, there are many wonderful pas-de-deux (duos) in this ballet, but the male principal, Solor, has a number of very different vairations, and I think that its music is one of the best ballet musics. Here's Vadim Muntagirov as Solor:

But what stuns me, rather than the choice of the music (I'm sure that Deniss Vasiljevs will make a very creditable Solor) is that I don't know any other ballet dancer or choreographer, who would have been the main choreographer of a Figure Skating competitive program? Or am I wrong?
It's not that ballet dancers are strangers to Figure Skating, far from it, but although some Figure Skating programs can evoke ballet, incorporate some ballet moves as choreographic elements, overall skating and dancing are very different and generally involve very different moves. I think that ballet dancers are forbidden to skate, because of the high risk of injury due to this difference.

Last edited:

ChristineB

On the Ice
Muramoto/Takahashi and Alissa Czisny come to mind, I'm not sure if there have been others.
Since Vadim mentioned Solor I am guessing it would include music from scenes involving him (i.e. variations or PDD with Nikiya or Gamzatti

Kana Muramoto and Daisuke Takahashi also had a pot-pourri of different airs from the ballet. What I found original is that they started with the beginning of the Third Act, the slow descent of the Shadows: this part requires absolute perfection from the corps-de-ballet, but when it is reached it gives me goosebumps; I believe though, that for people who don't know and love ballet, this part is very boring (but not the music):

Of course, there are many wonderful pas-de-deux (duos) in this ballet, but the male principal, Solor, has a number of very different vairations, and I think that its music is one of the best ballet musics. Here's Vadim Muntagirov as Solor:

But what stuns me, rather than the choice of the music (I'm sure that Deniss Vasiljevs will make a very creditable Solor) is that I don't know any other ballet dancer or choreographer, who would have been the main choreographer of a Figure Skating competitive program? Or am I wrong?
It's not that ballet dancers are strangers to Figure Skating, far from it, but although some Figure Skating programs can evoke ballet, incorporate some ballet moves as choreographic elements, overall skating and dancing are very different and generally involve very different moves. I think that ballet dancers are forbidden to skate, because of the high risk of injury due to this difference.

Wasn't Deniss's choreo for Romeo and Juliet done (at least in part) by a Ukranian ballerina named Kateryna Shalkina? I believe she is part of a dance company in Switzerland.