Evan Bates Captain of US Oly Skating Team! | Golden Skate

Evan Bates Captain of US Oly Skating Team!

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
Congratulations, Evan!!!!

humbaba

Final Flight
Congrats to Evan. That he was chosen by his teammates makes this a very special honor. :hap10:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Congratulations Evan for being elected as Team USA Figure Skating Olympic Captain!
https://www.instagram.com/p/BeYyM5uFDCA/?hl=en&taken-by=usfigureskating
:hap10::hap10:

Wanted to add that per USFS, Alexa Knierim and Alex Shibutani were #TeamUSA’s spokespeople during the #WinterOlympics Team Event.

Between the two of them (without Evan), Alexa and Alex handled the U.S. presence at all the pressers for the top three teams at the end of each day of the team event.

IIRC for Sochi, team captains represented the team at all the team event pressers? No separate "spokespeople" in 2014, AFAIK?

But FWIW, the roles seem to be separate in 2018 (and not only for the U.S.)?

brightphoton

Medalist
Wanted to add that per USFS, Alexa Knierim and Alex Shibutani were#TeamUSA’s spokespeople during the #WinterOlympics Team Event.

Between the two of them (without Evan), Alexa and Alex handled all the pressers for the top three teams at the end of each day of the team event.

IIRC for Sochi, team captains represented the team at all the team event pressers? No separate "spokespeople" in 2014, AFAIK?

But FWIW, the roles seem to be separate in 2018 (and not only for the U.S.)?

(BTW, the ISU site did refer to Alexa as "team captain." And/or Alex.)

Wow great job as team captain Evan

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... But FWIW, the roles seem to be separate in 2018 (and not only for the U.S.)? ...

Lest anyone wonder, the point of my post above was not to criticize Evan Bates.

Over three days of pressers, Canada had at least four different skaters -- Patrick, Eric, Tessa, Scott -- representing the team at the team event pressers.

I don't even know whether Skate Canada had made any prior announcement identifying its team captain(s).
In any case, I assume that the Canadian team does not have four team captains.

I partly was making note that in 2018 (unlike 2014), the "spokespeople" roles do not seem limited to team captains.

And I partly was mentioning that it is cool for Alexa and Alex that they spoke on behalf of the U.S. at the pressers.

No disrespect to Evan intended from me.
(As far as I am concerned, it is cool for Evan that the team elected him as captain.)

mintx

On the Ice
Congrats to Evan. Alex and Alexa are also doing a great job as team leaders. Marai credited Alexa for yelling Start when Marai almost got a time penalty. Clearly Alex is also accomplished in media and can represent as needed.

Eclair, who would you have left out of the team event so Evan could participate in the competition? They were only allowed 2 substitutions.

Eclair

Medalist
Congrats to Evan. Alex and Alexa are also doing a great job as team leaders. Marai credited Alexa for yelling Start when Marai almost got a time penalty. Clearly Alex is also accomplished in media and can represent as needed.

Eclair, who would you have left out of the team event so Evan could participate in the competition? They were only allowed 2 substitutions.
I wouldn't have named him team captain in the first place since in no scenario he would have skated. What's the purpose of that title, if you're not speaking for the team in the team event?

Why didn't they make Alexa or Alex Shibutani the team captain the first place? That would have made so much more sense.

brightphoton

Medalist
yeah! you are no part of the team event, but as a consolidation we give you the hollow title of a team captain. Isn't that generous?

Haha, poor Evan. I feel second hand embarrassment for him. He must not have known he wouldn't be part of the team event, before he accepted

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Your teammates vote for you as “team captain”, IIRC.

Not hollow at all, therefore, but an honor. One to be proud of. I would be more embarrassed for any thoughts to the contrary:confused: