Figure Skating Podcasts (in any language!) | Golden Skate

Figure Skating Podcasts (in any language!)

griessel

Rinkside
Hey everyone,

as a passionate language learner I always enjoy listening to podcasts about my favourite topics in different languages. I listen to a couple of figure skating podcasts but they all happen to be in English and so far I was not really successful in finding podcasts in other languages. So I thought, as this is a forum with people from all over the world, it would be nice to collect our favourite podcasts in any language here. I am especially interested in Japanese and Russian, I'm sure there are some.

I'll start this off with the ones I am listening to:
Flutzes and Waxels
Ice Tea Podcast
Lutz get down to business
Ice Talk
In the Loop
On Figure Skating Podcast

Tavi...

Record Breaker
The Flutz Corner: Polina Edmunds & Mirai Nagasu. English. New this season, has a focus on ladies, some discussion of other disciplines. Some interesting thoughts. I find it linked on Polina’s Instagram; not sure if available elsewhere.

The Skating Lesson. YouTube only. English. Everybody loves to hate it. Frequently gossipy; occasional good insights; often first to report insider information on injury, coaching splits etc. Usually overly long and meandering. They’ve done good interviews and good reporting on abuse, though most people won’t give them credit for it. Occasionally put out satirical “As the blade turns” focusing on drama in FS, most frequently in Russia. They usually feature Dave speaking in a heavy “Russian” accent. He can be quite funny and makes some good & serious points, although the many people who violently dislike him probably won’t agree.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
What about the wonderful videos by (Cafecito con) Masha on Youtube which are either in English or Spanish (with written translation into English which you can turn off)? Some wonderful interviews with skaters or ex-skaters as well as summaries of events. True, they're video's, not podcasts but could be enjoyable for someone who likes to hear about Figure Skating in another language.

CrazyKittenLady

Get well soon, Lyosha!
Record Breaker
Country
Austria
As an avid fan of podcasts myself, I'll link to my one-post thread about figure skating podcast "Ice Room" from last season. Ice Room is a Russian podcast where competitive skater Andrei Lazukin and figure skating coach Murad Kurbanov interview Russian figure skating personalities. So far there are only 6 episodes, but I hope they'll post more in the next off-season.
https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/threads/figure-skating-podcast-ice-room.88429/post-2760571

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I forgot that Chock & Bates also started a podcast (English) this season, Unlaced. I haven’t listened but I understand episodes are brief - about 15 minutes. It looks like it’s available in all the usual places.

Also, the Lilah Jo Show. Host /interviewer is British ice dancer Lilah Fear. She conducts in-depth interviews with skaters. I’ve listened to a couple and thought she did a great job. Available in all the usual places.

PJ Kwong (Canadian broadcaster) used to host a podcast. Not sure it’s still active (maybe our Canadian posters can weigh in) but I think at least historical episodes are still available.

Hyena

Tous les whiskys
Medalist
Right now I'm really enjoying Flutzes and Waxels. I think they have the best technical breakdowns and personally find them to be fairly unbiased.

I love Jackie Wong on Twitter and used to listen to Ice Talk, but often wanted much deeper analysis of the skating itself (and was a little too obviously produced by USFS) - if anyone listens to the newer version, how do you like it?

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Right now I'm really enjoying Flutzes and Waxels. I think they have the best technical breakdowns and personally find them to be fairly unbiased.

I love Jackie Wong on Twitter and used to listen to Ice Talk, but often wanted much deeper analysis of the skating itself (and was a little too obviously produced by USFS) - if anyone listens to the newer version, how do you like it?

Better but still not as good as the Jackie/Nick pairing of a few years back. I think Mirai and Tara were just not a good fit. Tara and Jackie are a better fit, but it’s still a bit surface as to analysis. They seem to have a strict time schedule and Tara sometimes drives the show a little fast.

If you are interested in ladies, give a listen to Polina and Mirai. Mirai is much better in this pairing. They aren’t as comprehensive as flutzes & waxels but have some interesting insights, and it’s quite funny to hear them echoing (and in some cases just discovering 😊) some of the same stuff fans talk about here.

I think Lutz Get Down to Business models itself on Flutzes & Waxels. They’re newer so maybe not quite as in depth but they similarly try to cover many competitors in each discipline and try to maintain a positive, unbiased tone while still stating their opinions.

I also like Fran, but she usually only covers singles.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hey everyone,

as a passionate language learner I always enjoy listening to podcasts about my favourite topics in different languages. I listen to a couple of figure skating podcasts but they all happen to be in English and so far I was not really successful in finding podcasts in other languages. So I thought, as this is a forum with people from all over the world, it would be nice to collect our favourite podcasts in any language here. I am especially interested in Japanese and Russian, I'm sure there are some.

I'll start this off with the ones I am listening to:
Flutzes and Waxels
Ice Tea Podcast
Lutz get down to business
Ice Talk
In the Loop
On Figure Skating Podcast
Ice Tea Podcast is the best and not just because they gave yours truly a shoutout.

I’d add Santee on Skates to your list.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I liked the original version MUCH better. I listened to half of one of the versions with Mirai and just got bored and never listened again. The version with Jackie and Tara is better but he’s too restrained in it for my taste.

labgoat

Done updating WJC rewatches!
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Anyone have a link to on edge part 3? I can't seem to access it.