How to attach a file to a conversation (private message) | Golden Skate

How to attach a file to a conversation (private message)

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Attaching a file to a conversation is reserved for members who have subscribed to the Premium Bundle.

Attaching a file to a conversation is done by clicking on the paperclip icon that is shown at the bottom left of your text box (see below). The files allowed are as follows: .png, .jpg, .jpeg, .jpe

When a file is attached, it will be displayed as a thumbnail in a post that is approximately 200 pixels wide. When it's clicked on, it will show a size up to 1000 pixels and can also be downloaded by other members.

1618248799734.png

Last edited:

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Attaching a file to a conversation is done by clicking on the paperclip icon that is shown at the bottom left of your text box (see below). The files allowed are as follows: .zip, .txt, .pdf, .png, .jpg, .jpeg, .jpe, .gif

Just noticed today that the list of files that can attached has changed slightly since this thread was started. GIF images (.gif) are not able to be sent as attachments any more, but the new Excel spreadsheets (.xlsx) are. (Incidentally, Excel spreadsheets that use the old .xls extension are not able to be sent).

Now that I have noticed this this, can I ask something?

Would it be possible for Word documents (.doc) to be added to the list?

The reason I ask is that I recently wrote a new Fan Fest post out in a Word document and, before posting it to the forum next month, I wanted to send the file to the skater in question so that she could check it over to see if everything is correct, and make edits to it if necessary.

Instagram is the only social network that she uses, and when I tried to send the file to her on there this morning, I discovered that Instagram only lets you attach image files to PM's. And when I tried to send it to her on here (she is a forum member), I came up against the same problem.

In the end, I copied the Fan Fest post into the body of a PM on here and sent it to her that way. So, it got sorted easily enough. But I decided to suggest it anyway, in case somebody wants to send something that is too long to paste into the body of a PM, or which includes formatting not supported by XenForo.

It's not a big deal. It's just an idea I thought I would raise.

CaroLiza_fan

yesterday

Record Breaker
Just noticed today that the list of files that can attached has changed slightly since this thread was started. GIF images (.gif) are not able to be sent as attachments any more, but the new Excel spreadsheets (.xlsx) are. (Incidentally, Excel spreadsheets that use the old .xls extension are not able to be sent).

The reason I ask is that I recently wrote a new Fan Fest post out in a Word document and, before posting it to the forum next month, I wanted to send the file to the skater in question so that she could check it over to see if everything is correct, and make edits to it if necessary.

Instagram is the only social network that she uses, and when I tried to send the file to her on there this morning, I discovered that Instagram only lets you attach image files to PM's. And when I tried to send it to her on here (she is a forum member), I came up against the same problem.

In the end, I copied the Fan Fest post into the body of a PM on here and sent it to her that way. So, it got sorted easily enough. But I decided to suggest it anyway, in case somebody wants to send something that is too long to paste into the body of a PM, or which includes formatting not supported by XenForo.

CaroLiza_fan

Another possibility would be to export the doc as a .pdf and send this file. Usually it's no big deal to mark, cross out or comment in pdf. Even easier now as e.g. chrome has an updated Adobe addon so you can do all this directly in the browser.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

CaroLiza_fan
For security reasons we only allow certain formats. The excel sheet was allowed for the tabulators for Prediction contests. You should be able to send a .pdf?

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Another possibility would be to export the doc as a .pdf and send this file. Usually it's no big deal to mark, cross out or comment in pdf. Even easier now as e.g. chrome has an updated Adobe addon so you can do all this directly in the browser.

Thank you for the advice! :bow: :clap: :points:

:thank:

That would have been a good solution, except I don't know how to save a document in Word to PDF. (I'm using Word 2003, because I don't like the way the toolbars are laid out in the newer versions). But, now that I know that you can attach PDF's on the forum, I will certainly try to find out.

Firefox is the main browser I use. I only use Chrome for watching things on Eurosport Player. And for watching videos on sites where things may be geo-blocked, such as YouTube, I use Opera. I haven't installed any add-ons for any of them.

For security reasons we only allow certain formats. The excel sheet was allowed for the tabulators for Prediction contests. You should be able to send a .pdf?

Ah, that makes sense.

Thank you for the explanation.

:thank:

CaroLiza_fan

Last edited:

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The problem is that people can download documents to their PC that could harm them. Unless they have a virus scanner. .jpg are safe.

I have just updated the files that are allowed.