Kazuki Tomono | Page 236 | Golden Skate

Kazuki Tomono

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
I really really want to hear Kazuki sing... but I have a feeling these parts will be guarded jealously by the rights owner, so any Hyoen footage of Kazuki will be next to impossible to find. :)

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
Now, I wish he could skate in shows that don't have the "ISU/JSF pet" repelling effect [...] to prove that his fan appeal extends to shows...

I’m trying to make sense of this but can’t (sorry :scratch2:). Do you mean, because Kazuki is still an amateur and therefore can only skate in shows approved by JSF, he as well as other skaters in these shows would be seen as “pets”? Or that the shows have a repelling effect because of the federation’s involvement? The only Japanese shows without JSF-approval are those with casts exclusively consisting of professional skaters/skaters that don't compete for the Japanese federation (so basically only Mao’s and Hanyu’s recent shows). That Kazuki has fan appeal is pretty much proven by the amount of fan banners at the shows he participates in.

Meanwhile, a TV special about Hyoen was broadcast yesterday, and they showed a bit of Kazuki's photoshoot and voice training! Apparently he said his role has a lot of lines and he will be singing too 👀 It makes sense now that he won't be doing any PIW shows in late April/May, the preparations for Hyoen seem intense - but very rewarding!

Based on Kazuki’s costume my very tentative guess is that he might play a character connected to a fossil excavation at the “Pliocene Coast”, which is the first stop on Giovanni’s and Campanella’s galactic trainride in the original story (please don’t take my word for it – he could also be a completely original character :unsure:).

Last edited:

Figskater23

Final Flight
That would be so cool! I really wish show producers took a leaf out of Kassouya/Hyoen's book and experimented more with concepts for ice shows.

I was expecting that, because I think at this point in his career Kazuki would want to announce his programmes in his own time, most likely via non-no. If you remember, last year he announced his SP on non-no, and I think the plan was to do the same for the FS, but Misha got ahead of himself... I guess they talked and Misha learned his lesson now lol

As for the Australian skater, here are the pictures:

Belinda Noonan, the legendary Australian commentator, liked this tweet 🥹🫶

Meanwhile, a TV special about Hyoen was broadcast yesterday, and they showed a bit of Kazuki's photoshoot and voice training! Apparently he said his role has a lot of lines and he will be singing too 👀 It makes sense now that he won't be doing any PIW shows in late April/May, the preparations for Hyoen seem intense - but very rewarding!

Finally, Daiichi Juken revealed on Twitter that they helped Kazuki to find his apartment! They are so nice 😊

I’m not just saying this, but that was really good when he sung those notes. He just has to be one of the main characters in the story if he has many lines and singing which is fantastic! That’s so nice of Daiichi Juken. 🙂

DizzyFrenchie

Record Breaker
I’m trying to make sense of this but can’t (sorry :scratch2:). Do you mean, because Kazuki is still an amateur and therefore can only skate in shows approved by JSF, he as well as other skaters in these shows would be seen as “pets”? Or that the shows have a repelling effect because of the federation’s involvement? The only Japanese shows without JSF-approval are those with casts exclusively consisting of professional skaters/skaters that don't compete for the Japanese federation (so basically only Mao’s and Hanyu’s recent shows). That Kazuki has fan appeal is pretty much proven by the amount of fan banners at the shows he participates in.

Based on Kazuki’s costume my very tentative guess is that he might play a character connected to a fossil excavation at the “Pliocene Coast”, which is the first stop on Giovanni’s and Campanella’s galactic trainride in the original story (please don’t take my word for it – he could also be a completely original character :unsure:).
To be honest, I don't know myself what prospective attendants think exactly, and if they're more repelled by the mere implication of ISU and JSF (but then, Fantasy on Ice tickets wouldn't sell so well, the only occasion when they didn't sell as well what for Fantasy on Ice in Miyagi last year, and not only had Sendai people had Notte Stellata some weeks earlier, but the organisers had chosen the very weekend of the very busy Sendai semi-marathon, so many people from elsewhere could come only with a same-day return journey or staying far away, because all accommodation in Sendai had been booked a long time before, plus traffic problems, yet it was sold out even the Friday show) or by the presence of overscored skaters.

synesthesia

Final Flight
Country
Germany
To be honest, I don't know myself what prospective attendants think exactly, and if they're more repelled by the mere implication of ISU and JSF [...] or by the presence of overscored skaters.

Well, as there are "a billion" ice shows in Japan and new ones popping up each year, I'd say the main factor is none of these (I don't think outside of the social media echo chamber all that many people agree on who is "overscored" or not), but oversaturation. The pandemic also played its part for a while (this effect has significantly lessened recently though). Until 2019 or so the problem of empty seats didn't really exist all that much. The shows that will survive in the long run are very likely going to be those that manage to reel in new audiences with creative concepts and crossover entertainment approaches. I guess casting choices will continue to play a role too, but maybe less so than in the past. Anyway, Kazuki's fan fest is maybe not the right place to discuss the many intricacies of what contributes to the success of ice shows, although him being part of any cast doesn't hurt for sure. ;)

Guys, the next print edition of non-no magazine (to be published on 20 May) will feature a conversation between Kazuki and Dai-chan!

🥰

Kazuki and Dai along with Keiji, Sena, Yuhana, Maria Egawa and Shunya Matsuoka are also going to be part of an event celebrating the 1st anniversary of the O-Vision Ice Arena in Fukuoka (in other words this is going to be a reunion of part of the Kassouya-cast at the venue the show was held at :love2:):

KiraraChin

Medalist
Kazuki and Dai along with Keiji, Sena, Yuhana, Maria Egawa and Shunya Matsuoka are also going to be part of an event celebrating the 1st anniversary of the O-Vision Ice Arena in Fukuoka (in other words this is going to be a reunion of part of the Kassouya-cast at the venue the show was held at :love2:)
Ahhh thank you for sharing! Another event with Dai-chan :love2: and part of the Kassouya cast + Keiji-kun and Yuhana-chan too! That should be really fun! Hopefully we'll get at least a press report and some pictures :pray:

Meanwhile, yesterday's Blue Post podcast featured Kazuki again:

The Mainichi Newspaper Sports Department Press Podcast "#BluePostLink" has been delivered. In this episode, we introduce our impressions of Tomono-kun's after talk and answer each other's questions to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the event. We hope you will laugh at the answers and nod your head when we introduce our impressions of Tomono-kun's talk! The first part is "The Mop Incident" lol.
Damn, I really wish I could listen to this (it's free but all in Japanese)

Today, Kazuki wrote that he missed Sota's IG live because he overslept... I know the feeling :sleep:

KiraraChin

Medalist
Kazuki at today's skating class event, organised by JSF 🥹

Translation of a fan report:
I participated in the Japan Skating Federation's Tochigi Basic Skating Class! This was my second time participating after Shin-Yokohama. I was happy to be taught by the same teachers as in Shin-Yokohama In the demonstration, Tomono-kun performed a back cross, a spin, and a 3A. Uma Murakami performed a cool start, and Keita Watanabe demonstrated a skating style unique to the short program.

All three athletes were very friendly and helped me with the crab walk. They are such amazing people... Tomono-kun gave specific instructions like "Put your hands on a desk" and "Imagine a bicycle," so it was really easy to imagine. I'm so glad I came all the way to Nikko to have active athletes teach me so thoroughly...!

When the adults finally managed to move forward, Tomono-kun and the children were jumping up and down on the ice, which surprised me 😂 During the group photo, one boy said he wanted to stand next to Tomono-kun, and it was heartwarming to see Tomono-kun talking to him about all sorts of things. Tomono-kun was also curious about Murakami and Watanabe's shoes, which were different from those for figure skating.

It was so helpful to have him demonstrate, "Basics are important in figure skating, and this is how we practice."I participated alone, but it was fun to talk to other people who participated alone this time. I hope to see you again! Thank you so much for giving me a ride to the station on the way back.

KiraraChin

Medalist
The full report of yesterday's event + an IG picture - look at how tiny Kazuki is next to the speed skaters!

Also, another heartwarming report from a fan who attended:
Basic skating class⛸️
Even among the younger children, my son struggled in the first half, and when we went to take a break he was at the back and had a hard time catching up with the others...Then Tomono-kun came over and said, "You've gotten so good! That's amazing!" and taught him, and at the end he pushed him from behind until he got up.

I didn't realise it at the time because I was a parent and I was outside the rink, but when I checked the video, I saw that he was in tears. He was being encouraged by people from the federation on both sides, and he was trying his best, but his was clenching his teeth and holding back tears. Tomono-kun noticed that and spoke kindly to him (he had spoken to him twice before that and knew of his progress),

When Tomono-kun came, the federation left him to me, and when he returned to my place, my son said, "It's hot, my head hurts", trying not to be noticed by the tears. Normally I would have stopped there, but he did his best to participate in the second half because Tomono-kun encouraged him at that time.
In the second half, he became very good and was able to skate to the centre for the photo shoot 😳✨.

My son was so excited that he could learn from Tomono-kun, but he was not good at appealing, so he couldn't approach him by himself.
In the second half, Watanabe and Murakami taught him how to skate in a more advanced way. The teachers at the federation were also really kind.

It was a wonderful class, full of smiles for all adults and children.
Thank you so much for allowing my child to participate in such an occasion.
Filming from outside the link is allowed and there is a kind video of Tomono-kun, but I don't know how to operate a social networking service, so I will keep it under wraps for now.
I would be happy to have another opportunity ✨.

Also, when the first three skaters were showing their tricks, I heard cheers behind me, especially for Tomono, and a sigh of "Your skating is really beautiful, it's wonderful", and I thought it was a participant, but it was a staff member from the federation. ☺️
It was a very heart-warming experience.

KiraraChin

Medalist
Welp, some of you might seen that JSF has released their funding list for 2024-25, and Kazuki's funding has been downgraded from the Special Strengthening Group to Group A

I'm *hoping* he will be alright financially considering his sponsors, media work, and shows. I believe he wouldn't be living alone (an achievement for anyone in their mid-20s these days!) if his financial situation wasn't solid :pray:

The main issue IMO is assignments - in theory he should have two GP assignments, but he might not have an Autumn Challenger next season as JSF might just send their 'Special Group' for Challengers (especially considering the 'funny' schedule this year). Sigh.

In better news, Daiichi Juken Group announced they added an autographed picture of Kazuki to their curry room 🍛
This is a slightly different picture from the one they released before (without the glasses)

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
I'm glad to hear Kazuki's sponsors are stepping in with announcements for next season :) Judging by the fan meeting and flower sale numbers that were mentioned here earlier, Kazuki should now be very attractive for prospective new sponsors as well.

I agree the timing of CS is very silly this season, effectively eliminating North America for those doing summer shows, and Slovakia for those doing the first GP events. Still, I do hope Kazuki gets a Challenger. I mean, if they gave him, say, GP #1 and #3, they could even send him to Tallinn or Warsaw, both of which are early enough to let one rest well before Nationals... plus it would benefit Kazuki, who tends to peak later. I can dream, right?

KiraraChin

Medalist
I'm glad to hear Kazuki's sponsors are stepping in with announcements for next season :) Judging by the fan meeting and flower sale numbers that were mentioned here earlier, Kazuki should now be very attractive for prospective new sponsors as well.

I agree the timing of CS is very silly this season, effectively eliminating North America for those doing summer shows, and Slovakia for those doing the first GP events. Still, I do hope Kazuki gets a Challenger. I mean, if they gave him, say, GP #1 and #3, they could even send him to Tallinn or Warsaw, both of which are early enough to let one rest well before Nationals... plus it would benefit Kazuki, who tends to peak later. I can dream, right?
I really love that every organisation that gets involved with him seems to be really passionate about him - no doubt due to his likeable personality, but I think also because of the fan engagement he generates. Every organisation apart from... JSF 💀

As for the Challengers, we can dream together 😭

On a different note, we have a new piece of info about his character on Hyoen: