National teams for ISU championships. | Golden Skate

National teams for ISU championships.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Here are the assignments.

I like how they have split things up to give as many possible spots.

The main question mark remains the second spot for worlds in men... It is probably between Stephen and Conrad.
And that also meant that they decided not to send Stephen to Junior worlds...

2023 ISU FOUR CONTINENTS FIGURE SKATING CHAMPIONSHIPS
COLORADO SPRINGS, USA – FEBRUARY 7-12, 2023

Pair

Kelly Ann Laurin / Loucas Ethier
Lia Pereira / Trennt Michaud
Deanna Stellato-Dudek / Maxime Deschamps

Ice Dance
Laurence Fournier Beaudry / Nikolaj Soerensen
Piper Gilles / Paul Poirier
Marjorie Lajoie / Zachary Lagha

Men
Stephen Gogolev
Keegan Messing
Conrad Orzel

Women
Sara-Maude Dupuis
Justine Miclette
Madeline Schizas

2023 ISU JUNIOR WORLD FIGURE SKATING CHAMPIONSHIPS
CALGARY, ALBERTA, CANADA – FEBRUARY 27 – MARCH 5, 2023

Pair

Ava Kemp / Yohnatan Elizarov
Chloe Panetta / Kieran Thrasher
Ashlyn Schmitz / Tristan Taylor

Ice Dance
Nadiia Bashynska / Peter Beaumont
Sandrine Gauthier/ Quentin Thieren
Hailey Yu / Brendan Giang

Men
Wesley Chiu
Aleksa Rakic
Edward Nicholas Vasii

Women
Kaiya Ruiter

2023 ISU WORLD FIGURE SKATING CHAMPIONSHIPS
SAITAMA, JAPAN – MARCH 20-26, 2023

Pair

Brooke McIntosh / Benjamin Mimar
Lia Pereira / Trennt Michaud
Deanna Stellato-Dudek / Maxime Deschamps

Ice Dance
Laurence Fournier Beaudry / Nikolaj Soerensen
Piper Gilles / Paul Poirier

Men
Keegan Messing
TBD

Women
Madeline Schizas

ETA : If this information is redundant, please delete. I had not noticed it was already posted in the Canadian Skate of Nations thread.

Last edited:

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
The only real surprise is Laurin/Ethier replacing M/M instead of P/M at 4CC. I assume Brooke and Ben are OK with this. Brooke may still not be fully recovered from that hard fall she took at NHK.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
The only real surprise is Laurin/Ethier replacing M/M instead of P/M at 4CC. I assume Brooke and Ben are OK with this. Brooke may still not be fully recovered from that hard fall she took at NHK.
Yeah... and I would think that they probably wanted to give 4 teams some event and not just 3, considering how close the scores were between Lia and Trennt and Kelly Ann and Loucas (about 1 point if I recall)...

Considering opportunities and visibility to prepare for the future, I am okay with the choice. The only other option was to give Kelly Ann and Loucas a spot at 4CC and Worlds to Lia and Trennt, which I think isn't such a good idea considering Lia and Trennt have not competed on the GP circuit and only once internationally.

So, this way, everyone gets something and on top of that, it gets Canada their best team for Worlds.

My main surprise was Aleksa going to junior worlds...

Reverie

On the Ice
Disappointing to see Ruiter did not get 4CC. Maybe timing wise too close to Worlds Jr. Hopefully she gets named to WTT with Schizas.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Disappointing to see Ruiter did not get 4CC. Maybe timing wise too close to Worlds Jr. Hopefully she gets named to WTT with Schizas.
It does make sense though as the other girls definitely need the opportunity to compete..

If anything happened to Maddie and she couldn't attend worlds, it's best to have a back up and I don't think Skate Canada likes to send skaters in events so close apart, yet so far away in distance, like Junior Worlds and Senior worlds.

rain

Record Breaker
Glad to see that Laurin/Ethier get Four Continents. I think they have a lot of potential (especially if they get better music next season, lol). I think that McIntosh/Mimar have more international competitive experience this season than Pereira/Michaud, so it makes sense to send Pereira/Michaud to Four Continents before worlds as well. After reading about just how ill Deanna is, I can see them possibly pulling out of Four Continents if things haven't drastically improved. Altitude would be horrendous in her present state.
The main question mark remains the second spot for worlds in men... It is probably between Stephen and Conrad.
And that also meant that they decided not to send Stephen to Junior worlds...
I think you're right that the second spot for men must be between Stephen and Conrad. They've given Wesley Chiu junior worlds and not Four Continents, so they seem comfortable knowing what he can do. Looks like Stephen and Conrad are having a skate-off at 4CC.

The women's and dance selections were always obvious. I'll remain forever bitter that Lajoie/Lagha can't go to worlds due to lack of spots. I think it does hurt their momentum moving up internationally to miss worlds. This is where I hope Skate Canada is politicking away, reminding everyone that this is a top-tier team that's not going to be there just because of an unusual year.

Ziotic

Medalist
I actually get not sending the JW people to 4CC as this will give them time to focus on their junior programs since there is some variations with Seniors. I think SC wants a good showing for home worlds and it’s very possible for Wesley to medal with Kaiya as an outside shot depending on how others skate. Of course they expect a medal in dance, just depends on the colour.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I hope you are correct because Canada otherwise may have shot itself in the foot. If Deanna cannot compete, Brooke and Ben have lost an attempt to show they are a top ten team. I appreciate Laurin/Ethier did very well at Nats but to rely on them and Trennt and Lia if something goes wrong with Max and Deanna could spell disaster. Brooke and Ben have the best shot of doing well if Max and Deanna can't skate or don't do well especially with her illness. I hope she heals fast - and that someone figues out what is wrong!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Glad to see that Laurin/Ethier get Four Continents. I think they have a lot of potential (especially if they get better music next season, lol). I think that McIntosh/Mimar have more international competitive experience this season than Pereira/Michaud, so it makes sense to send Pereira/Michaud to Four Continents before worlds as well. After reading about just how ill Deanna is, I can see them possibly pulling out of Four Continents if things haven't drastically improved. Altitude would be horrendous in her present state.

I think you're right that the second spot for men must be between Stephen and Conrad. They've given Wesley Chiu junior worlds and not Four Continents, so they seem comfortable knowing what he can do. Looks like Stephen and Conrad are having a skate-off at 4CC.

The women's and dance selections were always obvious. I'll remain forever bitter that Lajoie/Lagha can't go to worlds due to lack of spots. I think it does hurt their momentum moving up internationally to miss worlds. This is where I hope Skate Canada is politicking away, reminding everyone that this is a top-tier team that's not going to be there just because of an unusual year.
Good points. I forgot about altitude. Canada in ice dance has to blame itself with the Danadians and Piper and Paul failing to deliver at worlds.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
When you look at the results at Nats and potential I am thinking Canada is hoping Stephen gets it together as he has a much higher scoring capacity than Conrad. As you saw in the freeskate Conrad was lower than the top women. His scoring capacity isn't nearly as high as Stephen and while he is a good skater he is no Patrick Chan/Jeffrey Buttle. Now is the time for Gogo to get consistent and build his artistry.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I hope you are correct because Canada otherwise may have shot itself in the foot. If Deanna cannot compete, Brooke and Ben have lost an attempt to show they are a top ten team. I appreciate Laurin/Ethier did very well at Nats but to rely on them and Trennt and Lia if something goes wrong with Max and Deanna could spell disaster. Brooke and Ben have the best shot of doing well if Max and Deanna can't skate or don't do well especially with her illness. I hope she heals fast - and that someone figues out what is wrong!
If Deanna and Max cannot compete, Brooke and Ben will be substituted. No loss here. i believe that's exactly the plan. Skate Canada is very smart with their assignments (they have learned since the 1990s)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Good points. I forgot about altitude. Canada in ice dance has to blame itself with the Danadians and Piper and Paul failing to deliver at worlds.
Stuff happens you know. There is no need to blame anyone or a whole country. I remember a time when there were 3 guys in the USA in the top ten but only 2 spots earned. It's just simple arithmetic and sometimes, it just doesn't add up.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
When you look at the results at Nats and potential I am thinking Canada is hoping Stephen gets it together as he has a much higher scoring capacity than Conrad. As you saw in the freeskate Conrad was lower than the top women. His scoring capacity isn't nearly as high as Stephen and while he is a good skater he is no Patrick Chan/Jeffrey Buttle. Now is the time for Gogo to get consistent and build his artistry.
Conrad got 150+ points in the free skate... the top woman was about 20 points lower than that.. not sure what you are trying to say here.
I agree that Stephen has a higher range as his technique is cleaner and gets him higher GOEs. Stephen skated clean with about 170 points. Conrad tripled two of his quads and had a scratchy axel. They have pretty much the same layout. Stephen's PCS is a bit better than Conrad but they both need to work. What am I saying is that on the world scene, if both skate clean, as they present the same layout more or less, they both would receive about the same score +/- 3 or 4 points.

Nobody is Patrick Chan.
Nobody is Jeffrey Buttle either.

Let's appreciate skaters as their own. They all have their own special quality.