Pondering twizzle positions? | Golden Skate

Pondering twizzle positions?

silverlily1

On the Ice
I have a twizzle in my solo and I don't like the position I've been doing it in. I want to change it up. I realize some positions are going to be quite advanced, but my coaches tend to give me some leeway on styles and movements in my solo, probably because I'm an adult. I saw a pairs routine where the couple did twizzles with their non-skating leg at 90 degrees in front of them, and started wondering what other positions are reasonably possible. Anyone ever do a twizzle in y scale? What other options are common or less common? I've seen holding the non-skating foot behind the bum, basic knee bend...? What about arm positions?

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
I have a twizzle in my solo and I don't like the position I've been doing it in. I want to change it up. I realize some positions are going to be quite advanced, but my coaches tend to give me some leeway on styles and movements in my solo, probably because I'm an adult. I saw a pairs routine where the couple did twizzles with their non-skating leg at 90 degrees in front of them, and started wondering what other positions are reasonably possible. Anyone ever do a twizzle in y scale? What other options are common or less common? I've seen holding the non-skating foot behind the bum, basic knee bend...? What about arm positions?
What is your music? I'm thinking of arm positions that might help interpret different types of music, like Spanish, ballet, abstract avant-garde..........

silverlily1

On the Ice
What is your music? I'm thinking of arm positions that might help interpret different types of music, like Spanish, ballet, abstract avant-garde..........
It's P!nk. And she's singing "...We can run into the fire..." during the twizzle. So a lot more electro-pop than strictly musical.

Right before it I have a y-scale spiral, and afterward a front to back Mohawk as set up for the next movement.

Last edited:

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
It's P!nk. And she's singing "...We can run into the fire..." during the twizzle. So a lot more electro-pop than strictly musical.

Right before it I have a y-scale spiral, and afterward a front to back Mohawk as set up for the next movement.
Wrong age to help you with interpreting music, in that case, I'm afraid :shrug:. You need someone a generation younger who knows the singer, the song, and the style. I hope someone here can give you advice, although I'd think it would be difficult to describe twizzle varieties in just words. I still skate pairs for fun, but pairs only started putting twizzles into programs fairly recently, and my partner and I never had to do them in competition. Even now we seldom choreograph them, and then just the very basic type. Good luck! :)

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I know the song you're talking about - great choice! Just for context for those who aren't familiar - the title of the the song is "Trustfall," and it uses that as a metaphor for the need to have trust in a partner as you're starting a new relationship.

So, the lyrics sort of alternate between describing feelings of fear and vulnerability in the verses, and having the strength and courage to take risks in the chorus (which is where these lyrics are from). I'm thinking a position that physically embodies strength and courage would make sense to interpret these lyrics. Maybe something like this:

GE2WCNXVCYI6LMDW4S52NI74MY.jpg

A bit too on-the-nose, perhaps - but it's the first thing that came to mind for me! :)