Preventing muscle imbalances | Golden Skate

Preventing muscle imbalances

treblemakerem

On the Ice
Wondering if anyone has advice for preventing muscle imbalances. I have a hip that tends to get kind of uneven and then causes pain. I have a good chiropractor I go to when this happens who fixes it, but it is not cheap. I was hoping someone might have some suggestions for exercises that might prevent this from happening. I already do a lot of conditioning exercises and I do those equally on each side, but whenever I start working on jumps more, this tends to happen, and also for some reason cannonball spins aggravate it whenever I try to work on that position. It's not too surprising considering skaters always jump one direction so I thought this might be a common problem.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
I've got a bit of pelvic twist too (+ scoliosis). I can't manage cannonball (makes the scoliosis symptoms worse), and broken-leg sit is also uncomfortable. No problem with pancake though. Maybe it's a specific pattern of hip tightness, or else I could just be not good at spinning 🤔

Not sure what exercises you do already, but mine are based on whatever physiotherapists or Pilates teachers have prescribed in the past (these work great until I slack off and stop doing them 😅 Or if I'm doing them incorrectly). Stuff that strengthens the glute medius/transverse abdominus/psoas/obliques, e.g. glute bridges, dead bug, lateral band walk, bird dog... Also, stretching and myofascial release of the hip/thigh muscles pre- and post-exercise, and whenever they feel tight.
It depends on the individual though, some exercises work better for me than others. Maybe you could try working with a personal trainer (someone with a kinesiology background might help)?

BTW I'm not a fan of chiropractors. When they work, it's because they also use techniques borrowed from massage/physiotherapy... But the latter don't expect you to come back for regular 'adjustments' and are generally cheaper.

tstop4me

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Wondering if anyone has advice for preventing muscle imbalances. I have a hip that tends to get kind of uneven and then causes pain. I have a good chiropractor I go to when this happens who fixes it, but it is not cheap. I was hoping someone might have some suggestions for exercises that might prevent this from happening. I already do a lot of conditioning exercises and I do those equally on each side, but whenever I start working on jumps more, this tends to happen, and also for some reason cannonball spins aggravate it whenever I try to work on that position. It's not too surprising considering skaters always jump one direction so I thought this might be a common problem.
This is the sort of medical issue that you should not try to resolve via an Internet forum. When I had issues with my neck, I first went to my general practitioner (GP). After diagnostics, the GP first sent me to a chiropractor for initial treatment. After a series of visits with the chiropractor, the GP then sent me to a physical therapist, who gave me follow-up treatment. After a series of visits, the physical therapist then gave me a set of exercises to keep my neck in good condition. Then back to the GP for check-ups.

I'm not saying that this is the proper sequence for your condition. What I am saying is there should be a medical professional coordinating all aspects of your treatment, including home exercises if appropriate.

treblemakerem

On the Ice
This is the sort of medical issue that you should not try to resolve via an Internet forum. When I had issues with my neck, I first went to my general practitioner (GP). After diagnostics, the GP first sent me to a chiropractor for initial treatment. After a series of visits with the chiropractor, the GP then sent me to a physical therapist, who gave me follow-up treatment. After a series of visits, the physical therapist then gave me a set of exercises to keep my neck in good condition. Then back to the GP for check-ups.

I'm not saying that this is the proper sequence for your condition. What I am saying is there should be a medical professional coordinating all aspects of your treatment, including home exercises if appropriate.
I’m not asking for medical advice. I’m looking for general exercises to balance out for skaters since we jump on the same side all the time. This has to exist.

treblemakerem

On the Ice
I've got a bit of pelvic twist too (+ scoliosis). I can't manage cannonball (makes the scoliosis symptoms worse), and broken-leg sit is also uncomfortable. No problem with pancake though. Maybe it's a specific pattern of hip tightness, or else I could just be not good at spinning 🤔

Not sure what exercises you do already, but mine are based on whatever physiotherapists or Pilates teachers have prescribed in the past (these work great until I slack off and stop doing them 😅 Or if I'm doing them incorrectly). Stuff that strengthens the glute medius/transverse abdominus/psoas/obliques, e.g. glute bridges, dead bug, lateral band walk, bird dog... Also, stretching and myofascial release of the hip/thigh muscles pre- and post-exercise, and whenever they feel tight.
It depends on the individual though, some exercises work better for me than others. Maybe you could try working with a personal trainer (someone with a kinesiology background might help)?

BTW I'm not a fan of chiropractors. When they work, it's because they also use techniques borrowed from massage/physiotherapy... But the latter don't expect you to come back for regular 'adjustments' and are generally cheaper.
Thanks I’ll look into some of those things.

I would say my chiropractor is not typical. He fixed all my soft tissue injuries when I was dancing competitively and basically diagnoses everything immediately when GPs dont even try to figure out what’s wrong. He doesn’t just do adjustments.

Flying Feijoa

On the Ice
Country
New-Zealand
Thanks I’ll look into some of those things.

I would say my chiropractor is not typical. He fixed all my soft tissue injuries when I was dancing competitively and basically diagnoses everything immediately when GPs dont even try to figure out what’s wrong. He doesn’t just do adjustments.
That's what I mean, he is nominally a chiro but practically a manual therapist (like RMT or physio). Chiropractic in its original form is rooted in pseudoscience and its practitioners would not enjoy nearly the same amount of mainstream popularity that they do now, now if they hadn't adapted to the times and incorporated some basic anatomical knowledge and techniques from evidence-based medicine. That's what is giving the results.

From a patient's point of view I guess sometimes the semantics don't matter as long as he fixes the issue.

skatingbeast

Rinkside
Country
United-States
Have you been to a physical therapist? They could probably give you the answers you seek. For instance, do you know if your legs are the same length or different lengths? A PT could evaluate you for this and give you an exercise to self-correct at home. They could tell you what muscles are stronger/weaker than others and create an exercise plan for you. For hips you might need to work on anything from hip flexor, glutes, quads, hamstrings, etc. Find someone who works with athletes.

2sk8

Rinkside
Of course, with a medical issue, you should invovle a medical professional, but if you are looking for off ice exercises to improve your skating and focus on correcting imbalances that can result from figure skating training, you may want to take a look at this program: Balanced Skaters which is designed for adult skaters.

MiraiFan

Final Flight
I really like Sofabar on YouTube--she has a lot of great videos and most of her content is geared toward skaters. My hip mobility and strength have improved a lot...