Rika Hongo | Page 30 | Golden Skate

Rika Hongo

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Rika's FP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2Tdk7jk5Ks
She won the FP with a score of 115.78 and placed 2nd overall with a total score of 176.07. So happy to see her smiling again! I hope she does well at West Japan championships, too.
The music will take me a while to get used to but it's interesting, and I like her choreo. She nailed her jumps too. I just hope she changes the costume, this one looks like practice wear with sequins on it. Well, maybe it is a practice outfit...
Great job Rika! I didn't realize that she is "only" 24... it feels like she's been around forever. This is a fun program that suits her. And kudos for reeling off 5 triples. Agreed the costume could be upgraded, and the jumps were a bit forced (understandable), but she looked to be enjoying herself. I also didn't realize how tall she is! Hoping she has a season that she feels good about but already this is a good start for her!

CaroLiza_fan

MINIOL ALATMI REKRIS. EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA.
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Rika has a Twitter now! https://twitter.com/rika__hongo/status/1337348940128129024
My morning trip to Twitter made my day, yay :giggle:
I was also happy to learn that Rika isn't planning to quit competing yet, and she enjoyed competing at JNats. My hero 🌷

What a difference a few months make. A few hours ago, Rika used this very Twitter account to announce her retirement.

Here is how @cohkaix told us over in the Retirements thread:

Rika Hongo (JPN) just announced her retirement on her Twitter account:
https://twitter.com/rika__hongo/status/1404957561615306752?s=20

She returned to the competition last year, ranked 18 at All Japan Nationals.

I've already posted a tribute over in that thread. But, since this is her Fan Fest, it should be here too:

Nooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Not the news I wanted to see when I signed in this morning. 😞

I loved Rika. Easily my favourite Japanese skater since Mao Asada retired.

But, even I have to admit, the comeback didn't work out.

Here is my all-time favourite Rika programme, from when she was at her peak:

2015 Cup Of China FS

That performance earned Rika her absolute PB for the Free Skate. And contributed towards the second highest overall score of her career. (Her highest score came at Worlds later that season, where her FS score was 0.71 lower, but she achieved her absolute PB for the SP with a score that was 4.10 higher than she got in China).

Does anybody have a translation of what she says in the pictures? Because I would love to know if she says what her plans are.

I wish Rika-san all the best for whatever the future holds.

有り難う 理華さん (Hope that's right!)

CaroLiza_fan

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Translation of Rika's message on her twitter account:

“I would like to let you know that I’ve decided to retire. Thank you so much for your warm support all the time. Because my fans told me that they loved my skating and wanted to see me skate again, I was able to hang in there and get through difficult times. They really gave me strength.

I had always devoted myself to skating before I took a break from skating, but I was still able to come back to skating and to regain my love for skating as I achieved my various targets along the way, and that was a huge thing for me. At the same time, it has been the season in which I wanted to produce results now that I was back in competition, rather than just having fun.

After the Nationals, I did a lot of thinking about what I should do next, taking into consideration things such as my abilities at the moment, my competition results, and Canadian entry ban due to the pandemic. Then I made up my mind that I should think realistically and retire from skating to move on to a new chapter and do my best.
I am so grateful to you who cheered for me a lot in good times and bad times, and to my coaches. Thanks to all of you, I am able to retire now. I once thought about retirement when I took a leave from skating, but I am really glad that I came back without quitting and have skated to the fullest.

When I was a third grader in elementary school, Sendai rink closed, and I left my parents and moved to Nagoya with my coach. Since then, I have been very much wrapped in skating. I might have gone through more tough and painful times than happy times, but beyond that I was able to experience many things that I would never have experienced, if I had not skated. Also, I met many great people. Above all, it is thanks to everyone that, even though I was not particularly gifted, I was able to stand on the podium at international, Nationals and Grand Prix Series competitions.

As I write this message, I realize again that thanks to so many people I have been able to skate.

From now on I hope I can do something related to skating such as skating (as a pro). In my next phase of life I will give it my all with a smile, so I will be happy if you continue to watch over me.

I am sorry for being lengthy and thank you very much for reading this till the end. I would appreciate your continued support. I am truly grateful to all of you.”