Should I go with MK Galaxy blades? | Golden Skate

Should I go with MK Galaxy blades?

2kkfami

Spectator
Country
Canada
Hello!
My girl has recently landed her single axel jump and is working on some doubles. We were at the skating shop and the fitter suggested to get her the CA blades but I asked if it was necessary as she might just outgrown them in less than a year. The fitter then suggested MK Galaxy blades since its a more economic option and it's available right away. To order anything other styles, it will take weeks to arrive and to be honest will be more expensive compare to the MK Galaxy.

What she had was the Legacy 8 (bought used) and she had no problem with the blades, they're just so worn out and a bit too short for her new boots. She's a regular sized kid about 65lbs or ish.

I've tried to look up more info about the MK Galaxy, lots said its a begginer blades with cross-cut toepicks, I wonder if the MK Galaxy will be a good option for her in your opinion.

Any suggestion will be much appreciated! Thank you!!!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Hello!
My girl has recently landed her single axel jump and is working on some doubles. We were at the skating shop and the fitter suggested to get her the CA blades but I asked if it was necessary as she might just outgrown them in less than a year. The fitter then suggested MK Galaxy blades since its a more economic option and it's available right away. To order anything other styles, it will take weeks to arrive and to be honest will be more expensive compare to the MK Galaxy.

What she had was the Legacy 8 (bought used) and she had no problem with the blades, they're just so worn out and a bit too short for her new boots. She's a regular sized kid about 65lbs or ish.

I've tried to look up more info about the MK Galaxy, lots said its a begginer blades with cross-cut toepicks, I wonder if the MK Galaxy will be a good option for her in your opinion.

Any suggestion will be much appreciated! Thank you!!!
Hi and welcome. No don't go with the galaxy blades. If she's going to outgrow anything it's those. Go with the CA blades, she can use those up through doubles.

2kkfami

Spectator
Country
Canada
Hi and welcome. No don't go with the galaxy blades. If she's going to outgrow anything it's those. Go with the CA blades, she can use those up through doubles.
May I ask why you think the galaxy are not ok? I also checked with the coach but haven’t got a reply yet.

I’m a bit frustrated because the fitter kept telling me that the galaxy is a hidden gem, I then paid and reserved them in the shop for mounting later this week. Now I think we are in a situation that’s a bit awkward now

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
May I ask why you think the galaxy are not ok? I also checked with the coach but haven’t got a reply yet.

I’m a bit frustrated because the fitter kept telling me that the galaxy is a hidden gem, I then paid and reserved them in the shop for mounting later this week. Now I think we are in a situation that’s a bit awkward now
Because I'm a professional and former elite who has skated on many blades (testing them and otherwise). Galaxy's are a bottom of the line all-purpose aka basic blade. They are nowhere near what your daughter should be skating on at this stage.

2kkfami

Spectator
Country
Canada
Because I'm a professional and former elite who has skated on many blades (testing them and otherwise). Galaxy's are a bottom of the line all-purpose aka basic blade. They are nowhere near what your daughter should be skating on at this stage.
Thank you so much for your advice.I guess the fitter really wanna get things start going that’s why he suggested the Galaxy. I’ll contact the shop and request to order CA or something in equivalent.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Thank you so much for your advice.I guess the fitter really wanna get things start going that’s why he suggested the Galaxy. I’ll contact the shop and request to order CA or something in equivalent.
CA or MK Pro

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Coronation Ace or MK Pro are the best blades for your daughter's standard and progress, but if you really can't wait for them, then go with another Legacy 8 (or 7), which would be far more appropriate than MK Galaxy, which are definitely a beginner blade and not suitable for her level.

2kkfami

Spectator
Country
Canada
Coronation Ace or MK Pro are the best blades for your daughter's standard and progress, but if you really can't wait for them, then go with another Legacy 8 (or 7), which would be far more appropriate than MK Galaxy, which are definitely a beginner blade and not suitable for her level.
I've contacted the shop and they are willing to modify the order for my daugther. They only have the legacy 7 in stock, while legacy 8 takes about two weeks and CA wait time is unknown. The next competition is in Feb 2024, I think we will need to make up our mind asap so she can have enough time getting used to the new blades. I tend to get her the legacy 7 1)there's no wait time, 2) both CA and MK pro are 7' rocker, I "assume" if she upgrades the blades again later, it'll be slightly easier?

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I've contacted the shop and they are willing to modify the order for my daugther. They only have the legacy 7 in stock, while legacy 8 takes about two weeks and CA wait time is unknown. The next competition is in Feb 2024, I think we will need to make up our mind asap so she can have enough time getting used to the new blades. I tend to get her the legacy 7 1)there's no wait time, 2) both CA and MK pro are 7' rocker, I "assume" if she upgrades the blades again later, it'll be slightly easier?
If you can get the Legacy now, then do that. When the time comes she won't have a difficult transition to MK Pro or JW CA.

Good luck!

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Yes, if you can get the Legacy 7 now, then do that. If she upgrades again later, it won't be a difficult transition.

2kkfami

Spectator
Country
Canada
Yes, if you can get the Legacy 7 now, then do that. If she upgrades again later, it won't be a difficult transition.
Thank you @Ic3Rabbit and @WednesdayMarch for your suggestion. I’ve got her the Legacy 7 mounted yesterday and she’s working on getting used to the new blades. She said the spins got a bit easier but she hasn’t got her jumps back, she claimed having some trouble getting the toe picks for jumps. Hopefully the transition won’t take too much time for her.

Thanks a lot again!

WednesdayMarch

Nicer When Fed
Medalist
Country
United-Kingdom
Thank you @Ic3Rabbit and @WednesdayMarch for your suggestion. I’ve got her the Legacy 7 mounted yesterday and she’s working on getting used to the new blades. She said the spins got a bit easier but she hasn’t got her jumps back, she claimed having some trouble getting the toe picks for jumps. Hopefully the transition won’t take too much time for her.

Thanks a lot again!
That sounds absolutely spot on for the transition. The jumps will soon come back.