Should skaters compete through illness or injury? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Should skaters compete through illness or injury?

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It depends on the injury and illness. But also the nature of the skater.

I'm not a skater. I'm a cheerleader. But one time before a competition, I had the WORST backache of my life. I didn't know where it came from. Usually I don't wince if I'm in pain unless the pain in unbearable. And believe me, it hurt so much that I was trying to go into different positions and I was making faces. When we were practicing at the school where the competition was, it was hurting so much that it was hard to practice. And I had to get a bag of ice from the trainer and I had to lie down on top of it. Then we competed. I didn't focus on the pain. And once we finished out routine, the pain VANISHED. Like it went away like that *snaps fingers.*

Also I can remember another time the previous year that I was cheering at a football game (high school) and I had a sprained ankle (I actually sprained my right ankle twice and left once in a period of THREE MONTHS....) and I wasn't supposed to do any tumbling for a week. I had two days left I think of no tumbling. But I begged my heart, lungs, and liver out to my coach to let me do one round-off back handspring on the track. And she finally let me. And I felt good.

My point is, skaters have the choice sometimes. They might weigh out the pros more even if the cons stack up and tower over the pros, but athletes don't like to give up usually. I mean like, they've waited to do a competition and they don't want to not do it because they would have felt like they wasted their time waiting.

peg

Medalist
Evgeni Plushenko was suffering pneumonia at the 2005 World Championships, skated the SP with a fever above 40C, and after that had to be hospitalised for three days.
Good God, the man is insane! It's one thing to skate with a slightly elevated temperature like Elena did, but over 40C is just plain reckless.

LRK

Record Breaker
Good God, the man is insane! It's one thing to skate with a slightly elevated temperature like Elena did, but over 40C is just plain reckless.

"We know he can handle the pressure - is he physically right?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iHS9Dt1qp0

"A Look of Defiance." (some of my favourite BESP commentary, by the way)

Didn't he turn out to have two sport hernias as well? Or am I mixing this up with something else?

Oh yes, he's insane - has always been. And I say that with utmost affection and love.:)

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
^I think 2005 Worlds was the groin hernias. 2006 Europeans was when he skated ill (though commentary says 39C, not 40).

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
"We know he can handle the pressure - is he physically right?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iHS9Dt1qp0

"A Look of Defiance." (some of my favourite BESP commentary, by the way)

Didn't he turn out to have two sport hernias as well? Or am I mixing this up with something else?

Oh yes, he's insane - has always been. And I say that with utmost affection and love.:)

You are right. Plushenko had two sport hernias. And the Russian doctors didn't know what is his problem. He had a terrible pain.
One week later Plush was operated in a Munich Hospital. Many people thought he can't recover to Turin Olympic Games. His deutch doctor said him, he will be healthy and he will be Oly Champion.
( I'm unable to watch that SP :hopelessness: )

Plush won the 2003 WCH with meniscus injury

Won the 2012 ECH he has serious problem with his knee. Orser said about him after that:

"Plushenko - supertalant . And the fact that he is still willing and able to compete with the younger guys , is admirable . What really surprised me in Zagreb - is his refusal to quadruple jump in the short program . Because Plushenko - unbeaten fighter. After what he did at the last European Championships in Sheffield, I became a fan of his . True . Remember thinking, OK, we have to admit he is a god figure skating, if he can fight like this. It was just amazing ! I did see him in training - so calm , even relaxed . But Plushenko knows exactly how to gather, when you go to the start. I know that he really wants to perform in Sochi, and I can only wish him to fully recover and get in shape . People like it , pushing all the other forward. This concerns my students . They look at him with wide eyes . Besides Plushenko - one of those people that surrounds special aura they create around themselves a special atmosphere. And it is impossible not to notice ."

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I'd say yes, if a skater feels they can put out a decent performance without risk to themselves (I mean, let's also remind ourselves that a perfectly healthy skater can get injured during a competition, and skaters are injured all the time and still compete). Ultimately it's up to the skater (and secondarily, their coach).

However, if a skater competes through injury or illness, which I acknowledge it's a factor in their performance, a skater (or their fans) should never use it as an excuse. If a skater goes out there, then I assume they are reasonably prepared to compete.

mrrice

Record Breaker
CanadianSkaterGuy says,

"However, if a skater competes through injury or illness, which I acknowledge it's a factor in their performance, a skater (or their fans) should never use it as an excuse. If a skater goes out there, then I assume they are reasonably prepared to compete."

True, true, and triple true!

Last edited:

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
If the skater is an adult it should be his/her decision as to whether or not to compete. Unless they are part of a pair or dance team, then the partner should be able to say no as well. If the lady doesn't feel comfortable being lifted by a male partner who is weakened then she should be able to make that choice.

If the skater is underage then the parent should make the choice with input from the skater.

I don't think anyone else needs to be involved in the decision other than giving a professional opinion in order for the skater/parent to make a choice.

WYW

Rinkside
If the skater is an adult it should be his/her decision as to whether or not to compete. Unless they are part of a pair or dance team, then the partner should be able to say no as well. If the lady doesn't feel comfortable being lifted by a male partner who is weakened then she should be able to make that choice.

If the skater is underage then the parent should make the choice with input from the skater.

I don't think anyone else needs to be involved in the decision other than giving a professional opinion in order for the skater/parent to make a choice.

As with all medical choices, competency is the one of the main issues. An adult that is competent has all the ethical and moral right to choose what is best for him or her. In a similar case, if you are underaged, but fully competent, you are still allowed to make your own decisions. Underaged cases are more grey area, and should be more team choice than the individuals choice. As with Hanyu at CoC, he was an adult at the time. It is up to the sports physician, psychiatrist, psychologist to assess his competency (ie. does he understand the benefits and risks to his decision). It is ethically difficult to force a decision upon an unwilling individual. I expect that the doctors told Hanyu the risks to what he is doing and cleared him to make HIS own decision.

Medical staff are not there to force what they think is best upon a skater. They are there to give the options and treatments to the skater, and then letting the skater decide.

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
As with all medical choices, competency is the one of the main issues. An adult that is competent has all the ethical and moral right to choose what is best for him or her. In a similar case, if you are underaged, but fully competent, you are still allowed to make your own decisions. Underaged cases are more grey area, and should be more team choice than the individuals choice. As with Hanyu at CoC, he was an adult at the time. It is up to the sports physician, psychiatrist, psychologist to assess his competency (ie. does he understand the benefits and risks to his decision). It is ethically difficult to force a decision upon an unwilling individual. I expect that the doctors told Hanyu the risks to what he is doing and cleared him to make HIS own decision.

Medical staff are not there to force what they think is best upon a skater. They are there to give the options and treatments to the skater, and then letting the skater decide.

Um...that's basically what I said. Not sure what your argument is:scratch:

WYW

Rinkside
Um...that's basically what I said. Not sure what your argument is:scratch:

I'm not arguing with you. I simply wanted to clarify that being underaged does not automatically mean the decision goes to your parents. Guess I misread your post as well!!

Last edited:

BravesSkateFan

Medalist
I'm not arguing with you. I simply wanted to clarify that being underaged does not automatically mean the decision goes to your parents.
Got it I was reading it wrong I guess. I agree that underage doesn't automatically go to the parent which is why I added "with the skater's input." I thought to add a few sentences about age of the skater playing a factor (as obviously a 17 year-old is more equipped to make a decision than a 10-year old), but I didn't want to get too long winded so I left it as it was. Guess I should have added it. :p