The grand prix finalists | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The grand prix finalists

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Very interesting that the ladies who made the GPF are actually the top 6 on the Seasons Best Total Scores! Not the same in the other disciplines - but most are at least made the top 10, except in Dance where a team that made the final is only ranked # 12 on the Seasons Best List! Guess H/D were the luckier ones in regards to assignments.

Hubbell & Donahue actually defeated three teams head-to-head that have higher SBs: Bobrova & Soloviev, Ilinykh & Zhiganshin, and Gilles & Poirier....

Head to head, H/D defeated four teams with higher SBs. Tobias/Tkachenko are the fourth.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Originally Posted by mrrice View Post
If you're 40 or older, did you ever think in a million years that the US wouldn't have a single woman in the GPF and that 3 Dance Teams would make it.

Well it was a bit of a fluke to be honest. Who would have every had thought Gracie would implode so badly and that Ashley would be so off. However, it is not nearly as bad as Russia which may only have two pairs teams and two dance teams at the next olympics.

Good point, Skater Boy. There's so much sturm und drang about US Ladies. It's a fluke; and such fluctuations abound in other countries as well, in all figure skating disciplines. In the days of Yagudin and Plushenko, who would have thought no Russian men would make the GPF?

I'm a bit tired of the hand-wringing about the U.S ladies. Ashley had a bad day at CoC, and I thought at the time she seemed jet-lagged and/or off balance. It can happen to anyone. It seems more relevant to focus on her 16 grand prix medals, five of them gold, and 3 Grand Prix Final medals, as well as finishing 4th twice. She's a hero for U.S. figure skating; no other US lady has made a GPF more than twice since Michelle Kwan. And I don't recall so much outcry when US men had no representatives at a GPF once or twice. If I'm not mistaken, USA has had no men make the GPF since Lysacek, Weir and Abbott in 2009. Until now, and suddenly we have two! Yay for Adam and Nathan.