Top 5 favourites from Finland

rain

Record Breaker
Mine in no particular order are:

1. Piper and Paul RD and FD
2. Hawayek/Baker FD
3. Rika Kihira LP
4. Redemption for Maddie Schizas in the LP
5. Bradie Tennell's SP (I love the choreography and delivery, even if technical aspects were lacking)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
1 Piper and Paul everything.. as a matter of fact, I considered making this post about 5 things about them...
2 Vatter Virtanen skating at home in front of baby girl
3 Finland winning its first ever ice dance medal at GP and first GP medal in a long time (Laura Lepisto may have been the last one at least a decade ago)
4 Rika's road to recovery including now the 3 flip... we are getting there !!!! I am rooting for her so much !!!!
5 This will displease some but I liked the Tech Panel making calls all across the field. Good technique and execution need to be rewarded.

Honorable mention : Madeline having a much better event overall.

Last edited:

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
OT: It is Kiira Korpi who won GP France 2010 and GP Russia 2012. Those are the latest Finland's GP medals. Laura had already retired when Kiira won 2012. I cannot make a list, impossible to choose, expect being at place was my top1.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
OT: It is Kiira Korpi who won GP France 2010 and GP Russia 2012. Those are the latest Finland's GP medals. Laura had already retired when Kiira won 2012. I cannot make a list, impossible to choose, expect being at place was my top1.
oh yeah !!! forgot about Korpi.. but then, same difference... a decade ago... :)

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
*Formal top 5*, live perspective:
1. Piper and Paul - the style and confidence they won with. Never seen them in this level of command. It definitely helps that their material is really one of the stronger ones this season (if not the strongest), but...the whole packaging just screams quality this season. Evita dress is swoon-worthy in person, so is their performance charisma and how they engage with audience telling the story. For me, it was worth to spend too much money than my budget just to witness this glorious FD performance.

2. Whole Ice Dance competition level - I enjoyed every single team when it comes to certain departments. It was a pleasure to be a part of live audience during this competition.

3. Mai Mihara eeking second win - she's one of my faves, I'm biased, but the fact that this lady is competing after what she went through health-wise is an inspirational story itself, let alone returning with such strenght.

4. Rika Kihira getting stronger - always a delight to watch. Always just great piece of skating, usually wrapped inside beautifully looking package. Her joy was one of highlights.

5. Tie between Turkkila/Versluis and Hawayek/Baker FDs - both really made an impression on me with live versions. Juulia is just do beautiful and serene with her expression, Matthias provides great framing to it while Kaitlin and Jean-Luc have just such strong connection on the ice and their quiet intensity of transmitting emotion is second to none.

*Informal top 5*:

1. Giving out all 14 crowns I've had (plus an extra one to a person involved in P² programs). Never expected this to happen after receiving information on 'no gifts' policy. Proves that will and determination (plus having an open mind to people around) goes a long way. The support, praise I got about my crafts stunned me. And to hear from Finns themselves that Finnish Fed should thank me for making GP Espoo special with crowns was the cherry on top. No words, just feeling super grateful.

2. Finnish tent of a flag versus Juulia and Matthias. The battle still make me giggle when I see the clip.

3. Patrice Lauzon doing :eek2: :)OOO) face at seeing me handing flower crown to Coach Joel for Oona and Gage.

4. Meeting Coach Carol, chatting with her (with realization of us sharing pretty much the same ID brain) plus Paul's hug. Will never forget that invitation and whole thing.

5. Skaters' reaction to flower crowns: Juho Pirinen wanting one for him, Yuka sitting in the crown during interview with media person, Juulia and Matthias posing graciously for me after practice, Jean-Luc curtsy bow when I put the crown on his head, Piper's eagerness towards tge crown, Paul's gratitude, Madeline Schizas thanking me via her IG stories...It means the world to me.

Edit- A BONUS: Virtanen family sitting row below my seat during rest on Men's FS. The whole family seems like a strong unit. And kiddos were very interested in my crafting last flower crown lol, even the littlest one :). Plus they were all pretty much Keegan fans.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
1. Kévin Aymoz everything.

2. Uncle Doctor slaying in front of the hometown crowd.

3. Kaitlin and Jean-Luc, I just love those programs

4. Piper and Paul did bring it, no doubt.

and last but not least (in fact first)

Beatrice's flower crowns for the win! 👑💐👑💐

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Well Beatrice, your flower crowns are definitely nr. 1 for me. So beautiful!

As for the other four:
Kevin, Kevin, Kevin - such a joy to watch, including the reaction in K&C after the FS.
The Finnish Doctor - Yay!
Piper and Paul both RD and FD - made me cry, and that really is a positive in this case!
Alisa and Ruben - but that's mostly because of the Dire Straits in the FS because I've seen them do the FS better. I know not everyone likes this music but I do.

Honourable mentions: the whole ID competition and Arlet Levandi"s step sequence in the SP.

16Olympics

On the Ice
Kevin all day long.
The comeback kid Ilia's FS (HM to Shun's 2nd silver)
H/B both programs
Seeing Rika's progress and her FS was beautiful
Mai winning a 2nd GP gold. I didn't have her anywhere near winning both but it's so refreshing that she did.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
1) Mai Mihara, both segments and the sheer joy she radiated throughout the competition
2) H&B, both segments
3) Rika recovering slowly but surely
4) Piper and Paul, both segments
5) Shun Sato managing to keep it together (and a shoutout to Tatsuya Tsuboi, who did remarkably well)

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Kevin all day long.
The comeback kid Ilia's FS (HM to Shun's 2nd silver)
H/B both programs
Seeing Rika's progress and her FS was beautiful
Mai winning a 2nd GP gold. I didn't have her anywhere near winning both but it's so refreshing that she did.
I think it's Mai's first GP gold?

16Olympics

On the Ice
I think it's Mai's first GP gold?
She has won two gold medals this year in GP's-GBR and Finland. She is in the lead going into GPF with 30 points. There are three other skaters with 28, 1 with 26 and Watanabe won the 22 points tie breaker.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
She has won two gold medals this year in GP's-GBR and Finland. She is in the lead going into GPF with 30 points. There are three other skaters with 28, 1 with 26 and Watanabe won the 22 points tie breaker.
Of course, I totally forgot about the first GP Gold. Mai is having a real breakthrough season this year!