Watanabe: Can she break into the top? | Golden Skate

Watanabe: Can she break into the top?

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Watanabe noted that this was a very important event for her as she her only major international junior event was last season at the 2022 World Junior Figure Skating Championships where she finished 10th.

“I did compete in one Challenger series, so that’s probably why I got invited to participate in two Grand Prix events this season,” Watanabe acknowledged. “So part of me is really excited about it and part of me is wondering if I should really be here. I’m going to do what I can and what I have to do, and from then on, perhaps the results will follow, for example, the Grand Prix Final. For me, going into the NHK Trophy, I’m going to try my best. I have three weeks to prepare.”

“It was a good performance today and I wanted to carry a smile through my performance,” said Kihira. “With my injury, I am making progress, little by little, and my goal is to get all my triples back.”

There are many very talented and experiences Japanese women competing. With Rika working on her injury, do you think this opens a door for Watanabe? How do you think she will fare with the rest of the Japanese women this season?

What are your thoughts on the other performances/skaters at this event?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
A good skater with a triple axel can certainly break through. However, I find her less interesting to watch than Kaori, Rika, Wakaba or even some of the junior Japanese women. Less performance quality than the others, at the same time, she has way less experience competing internationally, so the performance qualities can improve with time. I have noticed Rinka in BC Summer skate a few season ago when she trained in Canada... I would say that some of the issues noted then, including URs are still there but she has improved a lot in confidence. Definitely a dark horse.

lzxnl

Final Flight
Rinka scored <200 at this event. At either the GPF (if she qualifies), Japanese Nationals, 4CC or Worlds, a similar score isn't likely to fare all that well. Compare to Kaori scoring 215+, Rika scoring 230+ in her prime (which, if we're lucky, we will see again this season), Rinka has a while to go. She might have a shot at Japanese #3 (#2 if Rika doesn't recover her lutz and flip for nationals), but she can't afford any slip-ups.

YuBluByMe

May Rika spin her hair into GOLD….in 2026.
Final Flight
Rinka scored <200 at this event. At either the GPF (if she qualifies), Japanese Nationals, 4CC or Worlds, a similar score isn't likely to fare all that well. Compare to Kaori scoring 215+, Rika scoring 230+ in her prime (which, if we're lucky, we will see again this season), Rinka has a while to go. She might have a shot at Japanese #3 (#2 if Rika doesn't recover her lutz and flip for nationals), but she can't afford any slip-ups.
To be fair, Skate Canada was incredibly strict with technical calls. Also, Watanabe beat Sakamoto earlier this year and has one of the highest scores of the season. A 210+ score.

With that being said, I 100% agree with you. In fact, I’m actually expecting a situation where Watanabe - who already beat the reigning World Champion, won a GP, and will most likely qualify for GPF - won’t make the Japanese World’s team. She has a 3A, but that doesn’t stand out in Japan. Every other girl with a 3A (i.e. Yoshida) is better than her and those without 3As are better than her too (i.e., Sakamoto, Matsuike, Chiba, Mihara). That’s five skaters already and I haven’t gotten into the skaters that are too young (Little Mao, Nakai) and those recovering from injury (Rika, Higuchi). Then there are complete wildcards like Egawa, Sumiyoshi and Kawabe. Egawa and Sumiyoshi already beat Watanabe domestically this year.

I would put Watanabe on the same level as Ami Nakai. Both skaters have 3As and both need work on their expression and connection to music. But Nakai’s only 14 and Watanabe’s a late bloomer. She’s definitely having a breakout year, but I’m just not seeing her as Japan’s #3 or even top 5. She’s really going to have to skate her tail off at Nationals while others make mistakes (which definitely can happen) to get to that level.