Yuzuru Hanyu has announced his marriage! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu has announced his marriage!

Icey

Record Breaker

Now we understand the purchase a few months back of two new luxury apartments in Sendai!

No, we don't know who to and there seem to be no pictures of Mrs Hanyu, for someone with his huge public profile in Japan and Asia, the sheer fact that he has been able to keep his relationship so quiet and then announce the news himself, in his own time - almost casually on a Friday afternoon - and in his own way, is amazing enough (as it is, his tweet has received over 25 million views in half a day, and the media and weibo have gone bonkers, but as always Yuzuru does things his way ❣️❤️❣️).

But heaps of congrats to our Ice King, I hope and pray that that he and his new partner will be as happy and blessed as he deserves, even if we never ever ever get to see the wedding photos!

View attachment 6735

I swear, we all thought he was firmly wedded to ice-chan...

Icey

Record Breaker
Marriage is a matter of public record, so surprising someone hasn't found out who his partner is.

Magill

Record Breaker
Marriage is a matter of public record, so surprising someone hasn't found out who his partner is.
I am not sure what you mean by "public record" but I understand legislation varies from country to country. AFAIK, the family register in Japan is a "public record" but information it contains is considered to be sensitive, therefore access has been restricted to authorized individuals and agencies only. But I am not Japanese so maybe someone here is more knowledgeable and can explain it better.
Anyway, unless the newlyweds want to make this information public themselves, it is none of our business really.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
I also had questions about the gender of the spouse. Whatever, Hanyu is a dignified, humble and discrete human being so I am not surprised at the lack of specific information. He is happy and that is all that matters.

Given Hanyu's immense celebrity, I am surpised that we don't know every detail by now. Doesn't Japan have tabloids? Don't they have Paparazzi to sneak up and take pictures thru famous people's bedroom windows?

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Given Hanyu's immense celebrity, I am surpised that we don't know every detail by now. Doesn't Japan have tabloids? Don't they have Paparazzi to sneak up and take pictures thru famous people's bedroom windows?
My wife is of Japanese heritage.

There is a deep cultural tradition of staying out of other's affairs.

Some figures, including Hanyu, are the subject of intense interest, but for the most part that extends only as far as their public personas. Japanese people tend not to pry into personal lives if the individual does not share.

And, yes... I recognize that is a broad cultural statement, perhaps even stereotyping... but that doesn't mean it's not true.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Sorry to give offense. Let me rephrase my post.

I am surprised but delighted that the Japanese press has not tried to pry into Yuzuru's private life. I hope that this admirable restraint and respect continue.
I'm surprised too (I'm also of Japanese heritage) and can only assume that it's because he's given them no justification to pry. Remember when Nobu Oda had a fairly minor drink driving accident? Provided he and his wife stay out of trouble, he will probably protect their privacy. I imagine they are both super careful, though, about who they talk to, what they say, and what they share on social media.

TallyT

Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm surprised too (I'm also of Japanese heritage) and can only assume that it's because he's given them no justification to pry. Remember when Nobu Oda had a fairly minor drink driving accident? Provided he and his wife stay out of trouble, he will probably protect their privacy. I imagine they are both super careful, though, about who they talk to, what they say, and what they share on social media.
He is a very private man where his personal life is concerned, and most of those close to him - pretty much all of Sendai for that matter - try to protect that. The press did find out that he bought 2 apartments earlier this year, but hardly anything else...

Magill

Record Breaker
Sorry to give offense. Let me rephrase my post.

I am surprised but delighted that the Japanese press has not tried to pry into Yuzuru's private life. I hope that this admirable restraint and respect continue.
This really sounds much better, thank you. Apologies accepted :)