2023-24 Canadian Figure Skating | Page 94 | Golden Skate

2023-24 Canadian Figure Skating

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
I saw how much Michael slipchuk was making ten years ago on some sunshine list. Maybe it is time for him to go.
He does have someone he reports to, the Director of Performance Excellence. Maybe he's not in charge of everything and someone else is giving him direction who isn't as visible as he is? I wouldn't use appearing on a sunshine list 10 years ago as an indication of how much he's making, my mother ended up one based on factors other than the dollar amount of her salary.

Maddie lacks dedication and passion.
I wouldn't say she lacks dedication and passion. It's not as easy as it was for her earlier and based on her post-Worlds interview, she's realized that.
If Deanna retires the pairs situation isn't exactly overly promising.
There's plenty of promise in juniors. The pairs development initiative of Skate Canada looks to be doing well and hopefully more of the junior pairs will be sent out on the JGP next season and make use of the spots that were earned at Junior Worlds.

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
What is Canada to do??? They are in so much trouble in singles skating with no real clear cut skater to make top ten in men's and or women? They maybe need a different approach. I saw how much Michael slipchuk was making ten years ago on some sunshine list. Maybe it is time for him to go. USA,, Georgia, Italy, Japan, France and if RUssia comes back are ahead of them team wise - the shame and humiliation if Canada fails to reach to reach the Olympic team finals which is very likely. Maddie lacks dedication and passion. Roman, Stephen. Conrad, Wesley are not exactly super competitive or consistent in a good way. If Deanna retires the pairs situation isn't exactly overly promising. DAnce yes, LaLa look to be ready to take over the mantle. Looks like Laurence and Nik are trending down:(
Somehow I don't think the media headlines are going to deride Canada for only having the world champions in two of the four skating disciplines this year (five if you want to count men's and women's singles separately)? And the silver medallists in a third? The world isn't going to come to an end if there happens to be a dearth of unusual talent for a while in singles skating. There are better things for the government to pour extra money into than one of the several sports we're usually rather good at. (Hockey? Curling? Speedskating? Etcetera?)

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Also, just for pointers, Deanna is NOT retiring. She wants the Olympics and has program ideas for every single one of the programs on the road to Italy. Lia and Trennt are just starting out and still were top 5 last year in their first season. They are developing nicely. Kelly Ann and Loucas are super young in terms of pair age. Fiona and Ben as well. And let's not forget the 3 or 4 super talented junior teams on the rise.

Seriously, sometimes I wonder why there is a need to be so dark about the state of Canadian skating. There are obviously things to improve in singles. Women has been weak for a number of years and we were lucky to be blessed with Osmond and Daleman recently. Men, it's the worst it's ever been since I follow skating... but this is what happens when a few skaters retire (Messing Nguyen but let's not forget that injuries derailed Nadeau and Phan's careers). I don't see much top 5 or even top 10 potential in Canadian men right now but it's the discipline that can turn on a dime very quickly. Wesley is potentially able to master 3 or 4 quads by the next Olympics and if he did so, with his nice overall skating (he is quite smooth and nice to watch live though he needs a bit more connection with the audience, he does his choreo very well and connects with music), he could quickly rise in the standing.. If there is one discipline right now where reputation points are not a big factor, it's men.

Dance, let me have a good laugh at any dark thoughts about our ice dancers. Piper and Paul won the FD at worlds against two team ranked better than them for the last year and in the RD. That's amazing.

LaLa overtook both their fellow Canadians and the Lithuanians and are now going to be seeded on GP circuit. Like seriously, what else could we ask for ? I wouldn't be surprised if they closed the gap even further with the Brits.

And finally, Canada has two more world titles in Synchro with both senior and junior Les Suprêmes winning this year.

If anyone would have asked me to sign on
3 world titles (pairs, synchro twice)
1 world silver (dance)
and top five for LaLa

at the beginning of the year, I would have signed with great pleasure. This year is so much better than anything I expected.

Last edited:

Sackie

Medalist
Not having a single skater make the top 10 is a 2 edged sword. During the years when Canada was doing well in singles we had at least one top skater who was pretty much assured of being top 10 so this took the pressure off the 2nd or 3 skater to just go out and skate. So the were able to skate under the shadow of their team mate with little to no pressure. Lately we have been sending out 'new' skater ( 1st worlds) and hoping for the best. And some years it is someone new so they do not get a chance to progress. Have to wonder if SC would have sent Kaiya to SR Worlds if she had had her mins. Then if someone new wins next year would they be sending them. Also with our singles being ranked so low we don't get a lot of spots at GPs and therefore even when a skater makes it to 4CC or worlds they have little experience against the top skaters. I remember when Can used to have at least one entry in all GPs in singles, and a lot of time we had 2 entries , and not just at SCI.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
I have a question regarding Skate Canada not giving the girls international assignments. I don't understand how the organization works, so can someone please explain? My guess is that they're putting all their eggs in one basket with Maddie Schizas. But why ignore the other skaters, or have a backup plan? Are they thinking, "Nah, the other girls don't matter because they don't have difficult jumps." ?

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Not having a single skater make the top 10 is a 2 edged sword. During the years when Canada was doing well in singles we had at least one top skater who was pretty much assured of being top 10 so this took the pressure off the 2nd or 3 skater to just go out and skate. So the were able to skate under the shadow of their team mate with little to no pressure. Lately we have been sending out 'new' skater ( 1st worlds) and hoping for the best. And some years it is someone new so they do not get a chance to progress. Have to wonder if SC would have sent Kaiya to SR Worlds if she had had her mins. Then if someone new wins next year would they be sending them. Also with our singles being ranked so low we don't get a lot of spots at GPs and therefore even when a skater makes it to 4CC or worlds they have little experience against the top skaters. I remember when Can used to have at least one entry in all GPs in singles, and a lot of time we had 2 entries , and not just at SCI.
I think Kaiya would have done worse than Maddie with her jumps getting qs and <s all over the place though. I think Skate Canada needs to focus on clean jumps first. Maddie is usually a good bet but I think Fée Ann, with more experience would get the GOE needed on her jumps to be a more stable choice. Sara-Maude has ups and downs.. Justine, even more so. Uliana can land the tricks but almost no GOE. She needs to develop her overall skating as well. She should be sent internationally but perhaps not yet at Worlds.

I trust the juniors will overtake the current seniors very soon.

For men, we will just have to see how Wesley evolves. I don't see anyone else (sorry son) right now able to land the jumps required and have enough skating skills for top ten.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I have a question regarding Skate Canada not giving the girls international assignments. I don't understand how the organization works, so can someone please explain? My guess is that they're putting all their eggs in one basket with Maddie Schizas. But why ignore the other skaters, or have a backup plan? Are they thinking, "Nah, the other girls don't matter because they don't have difficult jumps." ?
money. the other girls, well many of them, have the jumps. It's a very different situation from a few years ago when only the top 3-4 women had all the triples (but 3a)... Right now, pretty much everyone who gets to Nationals is equipped with the jumps... it's a question of delivering them under pressure which they have issues to do, because they don't have competition experience because Skate Canada has no money to send them. So it's a circle.

BearryBear

On the Ice
Country
Canada

As someone said, money, but also they're lacking in tech content to really have a good chance of getting their minimums. Right now the SP tech minimums are pretty challenging for women and I don't think Canada is willing to invest a lot of money sending skaters to comps where it's very unlikely they'll get them. Even with nationals inflated scoring, Uliana was the only women's skater who was above the SP tech mins, even Kaiya didn't reach it. But then you also run the problem they're now lacking competition experience. Cranberry Cup this season is going to be an ISU Challenger event so it will be a lot more affordable then sending skaters to Europe but it's also really early in the season when Canadian skaters aren't really ready. Oh well.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
As someone said, money, but also they're lacking in tech content to really have a good chance of getting their minimums. Right now the SP tech minimums are pretty challenging for women and I don't think Canada is willing to invest a lot of money sending skaters to comps where it's very unlikely they'll get them. Even with nationals inflated scoring, Uliana was the only women's skater who was above the SP tech mins, even Kaiya didn't reach it. But then you also run the problem they're now lacking competition experience. Cranberry Cup this season is going to be an ISU Challenger event so it will be a lot more affordable then sending skaters to Europe but it's also really early in the season when Canadian skaters aren't really ready. Oh well.
I think some of our women have the tech content to get the minimums. Any woman right now has to skate it to get the tech minimums.... If you look at WC, MANY women didn't come close to the minimums scores, though they had achieved them in order to qualify. Fée Ann got a score above the mins at Challenge. I wouldn't necessarily think that our skaters get sugarcoated by the judges at Nationals really. The TP was pretty harsh at both Challenge and Nationals.

Regarding Cranberry Cup, I am not holding any hope about that. Autumn Classic was in the Montreal region and not only didn't Sara Maude get invited there but Justine only got there after really earning it after CQÉ. They only sent two women when they could have sent many more. Some of these women, like Audréanne Foster could have benefited from the experience. The last time she was sent out was as a junior in 2021, yet she is capable of good performances.

So in a nutshell, I am not disagreeing with most of what you are saying here but there is nuance to be made... The reality is simply that without opportunities, there are no minimums... Some of the women I saw at worlds earned their minimum scores in very small European challengers and are NOT better than some of our women struggling to get theirs.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Emmy Bronsard will be the first Canadian skater to compete in Solo Ice Dance internationally at the upcoming Washington Picken Solo Ice Dance International, taking place from the 25th to 28th of April. ☺️

Very not surprised she would be doing solo dance. She is capable of so much !

I have been asking for Emmy and Bruce to partner up and also wish Bruce would do solo dance :) I like Jacob but he is much weaker than Aissa was and less well matched with Emmy (in terms of skills not in terms of lines)... though they have improved a lot... Of course, it doesn't mean that they have split but I am looking forward to see her solo.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Triglav Trophy. Podium. Lia Cho had a very impressive skate.
FPl.NameClubNationPointsSPFS
1Lia CHOCAN
CAN.GIF
CAN
2Ksenia KROUZKEVITCHCAN
CAN.GIF
CAN
3Sandrine BLAISCAN
CAN.GIF
CAN

BlissfulSynergy

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Maddie lacks dedication and passion. Roman, Stephen. Conrad, Wesley are not exactly super competitive or consistent in a good way. If Deanna retires the pairs situation isn't exactly overly promising.
😳 Your commentary always tends to be disparaging and negative. Why are you putting down the skaters in this way? It's one thing to be disappointed and critical, but the way you have knocked Maddie is OTT. I don't think it's accurate or considerate to flat-out say that Maddie "lacks dedication and passion." Simply because a skater might struggle to meet competition expectations does not mean they aren't passionate and dedicated. :palmf:

Also, while Deanna has been a crucial component in Canadian pairs' return to top competitiveness, she is not the only bright spot for Canadian pairs. For one thing, Max DesChamps is not merely an appendage. Deanna and Max together have built a beautiful, successful partnership. 🎉 I doubt that these newly crowned World champions have plans to retire anytime soon. Their eyes are firmly set on competing at the 2026 Winter Olympics.

As well, your comments are completely dismissive of Lia & Trennt, and of Laurin/ Ethier. Both of these teams are competitive, and they clearly demonstrate passion, dedication, and ambition. I would not write either team off as lacking substantive promise in pairs internationally, especially Lia & Trennt. Both teams are continuing to improve, so it's unfair and unproductive to make a dismissive assessment about their promise or their future prospects. And, as already mentioned by others, Canada has very promising junior pairs teams.

Granted, Canadian men are going through a difficult period, but not because they lack the talent needed to succeed. Thus, I would not be so quick to get completely down on all of them.

Last edited:

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
Interview with Julia Bernardo, co-captain of Les Supremes. One of their skaters was injured right before they competed last week, so they had to use two alternates for their routines.

On the inclusion of Synchro at Nationals:

“We love it. It means so much to us to finally be included in the Canadians, so we’re among all the greatest athletes in Canada, all the different disciplines,” said Bernardo. “We grew up looking up to them, all the different disciplines, so just to be with them and included with them, it just feels amazing that we are finally side by side with them.

jorge2912

On the Ice
Country
Chile
And now the free skates!

Les Supremes Senior - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZvIP8uDY1I
Nova Senior - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZLWZKHoLgE

Great skates for both teams and fantastic results for Les Supremes!
I liked it both , Nova theme and choreography i liked it , is nice and with music it does nice to watch, even brought me memories from Team surprise FS in 2009

Les Supreme was mind blowing , beautiful , rich technically talking and is like a masterpiece because even have rhythm transition and that makes it so interesting to watch and not bored really.