2024 Canadian Nationals Senior Women LP | Page 10 | Golden Skate

2024 Canadian Nationals Senior Women LP

LazyFuzai

Laziness is my only love.
On the Ice
Didn't watch a single skate but seems everything in place with Schizas once again blunder one of her programs 😅

BearryBear

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Such a disaster that Kaiya couldn't earn somewhere at 4CC or an other event her SP technical minimum. What they will do if Maddie is sick and cannot be at world ? They better look to send Kaiya to some of the Senior B just for securing at least one of the 2 ladies for world.

Kaiya hasn't been able to earn it in 2 seasons and her short score at Nationals still wouldn't be enough to get her minimum either. The only skater at Nationals that passed the tech minimum for Worlds was actually Uliana. Maybe they should send her to 4CC and see how she does.

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
Kaiya hasn't been able to earn it in 2 seasons and her short score at Nationals still wouldn't be enough to get her minimum either. The only skater at Nationals that passed the tech minimum for Worlds was actually Uliana. Maybe they should send her to 4CC and see how she does.
They can't send Uliana to 4CC, she hasn't been sent out to any international senior competitions.

Axel Rose

On the Ice
Just saw the last 30 seconds of Uliana’s program and I have no doubt international judges will love her.

soccerjc77

On the Ice
They can't send Uliana to 4CC, she hasn't been sent out to any international senior competitions.
I see no reason to not send Uliana to 4CC, she is the only one who is able to reach the minimal 32 in the SP and 53 in the FS very easily.
I would send Maddie, Uliana and Sarah-Maude to 4CC and Kaiya to YOG

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
I see no reason to not send Uliana to 4CC, she is the only one who is able to reach the minimal 32 in the SP and 53 in the FS very easily.
They can't send Uliana to 4CC since the time to get the TES minimums for it has passed. I'm hoping she gets a senior B instead, if she doesn't get JWC.

soccerjc77

On the Ice
They can't send Uliana to 4CC since the time to get the TES minimums for it has passed. I'm hoping she gets a senior B instead, if she doesn't get JWC.
Hope that Uliana get a senior B instead if she can go to 4CC :)
My prediction for the team would be :
4CC : Maddie, Sarah-Maude and Justine
YOG : Kaiya
JWC : Someone between Lulu Lin, Hetty Shi and Uliana Shiryaeva
World : Maddie (and if she is sick, send Uliana, Kaiya to a senior B and choose the one who obtain the minimal technical between Sarah-Maude, Justine, Uliana or Kaiya)

saine

Medalist
Country
Canada
Hope that Uliana get a senior B instead if she can go to 4CC :)
My prediction for the team would be :
4CC : Maddie, Sarah-Maude and Justine
YOG : Kaiya
JWC : Someone between Lulu Lin, Hetty Shi and Uliana Shiryaeva
World : Maddie (and if she is sick, send Uliana, Kaiya to a senior B and choose the one who obtain the minimal technical between Sarah-Maude, Justine, Uliana or Kaiya)
I have no idea for how they'll handle the JWC assignments now. They can't have Kaiya without a championship assignment as the winner, but she has underrotation issues that are making it hard to get the Worlds TES minimums in the short.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
I have no idea for how they'll handle the JWC assignments now. They can't have Kaiya without a championship assignment as the winner, but she has underrotation issues that are making it hard to get the Worlds TES minimums in the short.
I am pretty sure they will have to send Kaiya to JWC unless they give her a couple senior competitions to earn minimums as first sub for senior worlds.

soccerjc77

On the Ice
At european championship, an ukranian Anastasia GOZHVA get her SP minimum with a clean SP with a triple / double combination.
Maybe the key would be that Kaiya reduce her combo difficulty with a triple / double combo just for not losing point and she will earn her SP minimum. Maybe she is to ambitious with her triple / triple combo ...

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
At european championship, an ukranian Anastasia GOZHVA get her SP minimum with a clean SP with a triple / double combination.
Maybe the key would be that Kaiya reduce her combo difficulty with a triple / double combo just for not losing point and she will earn her SP minimum. Maybe she is to ambitious with her triple / triple combo ...
she has other issues with spin levels... this is also why it's been a problem for the longest time.

discodisco

On the Ice
I rewatch Uliana Shiryaeva FS and common ! How in the world that they lowballed so much her GOE and PCS was shocking to me.
And Uliana is the only girl that could earn easily her TES minimum for world because she is always so strong in the TES.
She easily get 32 and higher for the SP minimal and easily get 53 for the FS minimal in all her competition this season.
If they want an easy backup for Maddie, the answer is Uliana Shiryaeva or Kaiya Ruiter.
Watch again and focus on skating skills and not jumps. Watch her ponderous crossovers, and how she barely gets into her knees and has short upright strokes. Watch the angle of her skate blades and how she consistently skates either on the flat, or very shallow edges. Focus on the lack of stretch and limited expression. Be aware that it is very difficult to see on screen, but she is very slow. Watch her ice coverage and how her skating rarely uses the entire surface of the ice, instead utilizing mostly the inner 2/3 of the ice surface. That sort of thing. Even with the jumps, look at the technique and how it is about muscling the jumps with the upper body. When you look at all these things, you realize that skating is more than just the rotating part.

discodisco

On the Ice
I guess it is worth seeing how Uliana would fare on the international scene. She reminds me a lot of Leung, technically capable of rotating jumps, but shockingly poor skating skills that held her back perpetually. She would always skate relatively clean programs and look shocked at her low scores

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Overjoyed for Reuter's win, but annoyed that Shiryaeva didn't podium. We liked Brezden, Pomerleau and Landry as well.

lariko

Medalist
Country
Canada
Watch again and focus on skating skills and not jumps. Watch her ponderous crossovers, and how she barely gets into her knees and has short upright strokes. Watch the angle of her skate blades and how she consistently skates either on the flat, or very shallow edges. Focus on the lack of stretch and limited expression. Be aware that it is very difficult to see on screen, but she is very slow. Watch her ice coverage and how her skating rarely uses the entire surface of the ice, instead utilizing mostly the inner 2/3 of the ice surface. That sort of thing. Even with the jumps, look at the technique and how it is about muscling the jumps with the upper body. When you look at all these things, you realize that skating is more than just the rotating part.
Sure. And if there was a Canadian woman capable of landing two triple-triples while maintaining PCSs, doing a decent layback spin who didn’t splatterfest every second program, we won't be having this conversation.

And yes, I saw the flash that someone in the audience flashed at Schizas just before she missed her first combo, but if tgat and reception Ruiter gets at home fries her nerves she can't face top Japanses women either.

Last edited:

discodisco

On the Ice
Sure. And if there was a Canadian woman capable of landing two triple-triples while maintaining PCSs, doing a decent layback spin who didn’t splatterfest every second program, we won't be having this conversation.

And yes, I saw the flash that someone in the audience flashed at Schizas just before she missed her first combo, but if tgat and reception Ruiter gets at home fries her nerves she can't face top Japanses women either.
Right. But that really isn't the question. We all know that if Madeline doesn't land her triples or combos, then it doesn't matter if her skills are superior. But it is significant that even with all of her misses, she's still finished far ahead of her competitors pretty much flawless skate. That tells you that we're not just talking about someone with great jumps and slightly lesser quality skating skills. We are saying that if she had not skated a totally clean program, her skating skills would have probably put her in the 80s at best. That is really significant. That tells you that her scanning skills don't belong within a country mile of an international competition at this point.

Sabsi

On the Ice
Congrats to Kaiya! Just watched the ladies event… Can someone explain to me why there were so many empty seats in the arena? I thought figure skating was popular in Canada?

DougDorsey

On the Ice
That tells you that her scanning skills don't belong within a country mile of an international competition at this point.

What are you even talking about?

Uliana finished a respectable 9th at her first ever JGP event, despite some jump errors that are unusual for her. The international judges there, at a junior event at which she had serious errors no less, gave her higher PCS than she received at nationals.

And at the Skate Canada Challenge just over a month ago, she received PCS about 10 points higher than she received here.

Her scoring at nationals was a joke, and was clearly an intentional effort to keep her off the podium. Skate Canada should be ashamed. And they're downright fools to take a skater like her for granted when they hardly have any women who can meet international tech minimums.