Choosing a figure skating dress | Golden Skate

Choosing a figure skating dress

dreamsk8

On the Ice
What do you look for when choosing a figure skating dress? Is all design or structural durability? Glitz versus timeless classic? Outrageous or modest?

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I have my dresses custom made. I finally got tired of feeling like I was playing dress up in dresses made with the proportions of kids in mind. I also have a long torso so finding dresses that fit was always a challenge. Because this tends to be more expensive, I try to have dresses designed that fit the music but also are dresses that I can use again. I tend to favor elegant dresses but I think every dress deserves some bling!

I suppose the exception is this year I am doing a tango so the dress is more themed but I plan on keeping the same program for adult silver so will get a lot of use out of it (I am competing Bronze this year).

I honestly think the most important thing is fit. If a dress fits well and fits to someones proportions then it will look good. A simple dress that fits well will generally look better than a blinged out dress that doesn't fit.

Last edited:

sandraskates

Final Flight
Country
United-States
As someone who both skates and makes costumes there is no one answer to that question; they run the gamut.

I've had customers who want unique practice dresses, skirt sets and even unitards for themselves or their child. They want a costume to match music for a program, although personal taste and comfort level dictate the glitz, sexyness or plainness of the costume.

Costumes for my ice dance teams were more subdued for official practices and more designed and sparkly for competition.

loopy

Final Flight
Since I look first at second hand, I look for flaws, the color and fit. Sometimes the program is selected after the dress.

When I order a new costume, I have my daughter look at designs she would be comfortable wearing. Then we talk about colors. For a new dress I am mostly concerned about it making sense with the program.