Edeas or Jacksons: Which is for me? | Golden Skate

Edeas or Jacksons: Which is for me?

Avafigureskates24

Spectator
I'm currently in Freestyle 2 and i'm using Jackson Artistes. I'm thinking about upgrading, but I don't know what to upgrade to. I was thinking about Edeas or Jackson Freestyles, but I heard people don't like Jackson Freestyles because they only last for singles, and I don't know if Edeas are for me. Some help please?

Info-

Height: 5'3
Weight: 118
Shoe size: 9

I don't know if the info about me helps, but I hope so!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I'm currently in Freestyle 2 and i'm using Jackson Artistes. I'm thinking about upgrading, but I don't know what to upgrade to. I was thinking about Edeas or Jackson Freestyles, but I heard people don't like Jackson Freestyles because they only last for singles, and I don't know if Edeas are for me. Some help please?

Info-

Hi and welcome! Your height and weight help, but I need to know your foot type (look this up). Your shoe size doesn't help.

Also, if you would like a recommendation for a proper fitter, where you are in this world of ours.

:)

bostonskaterguy86

On the Ice
Country
United-States

Info-

Hello and welcome! :)

One thing that's very much worth considering - it takes time to go through the fitting process, and right now, shipping/supply chains are still messed up pretty much all over the world. People are waiting weeks or even months for their boots and blades to come in at the shop (I just got a new pair earlier this year, and it took almost 10 weeks to get my boots!). The Artistes you're in really aren't meant for an adult-sized skater to jump in - so the sooner you can go get fitted and start the process, the better, especially if you're working on jumps!

IcyMay23

Rinkside

Info-

I speak from personal experience - GET PROPERLY FITTED BY A REPUTABLE, PROFESSIONAL SKATE TECH! Otherwise you could wind up with the wrong pair of boot/blade combination and be out A LOT of $$$! I can also offer some advice on Jackson vs Edea for you since I have flip-flopped between both brands within the past 12 years. Both brands of boots are trusted and cherished, lol. Unfortunately I had to say goodbye to my Edea Ice Flys this year; in fact, because of how my feet changed shape over the years, I am no longer a candidate to wear any Edea boot. This is just a personal experience; not saying every skater will have this issue. In fact, my situation is unusual: I have what my skate tech refers to as a half-n-half foot. My toe box is wide but my heels are so narrowly tapered that unfortunately prevents me from wearing Edea boots safely. With Edea, they come as is: they are not very customizable as far as making any necessary adjustments. There's no middle ground with Edea; they either work for you or they don't. They also operate quite differently from traditional leather boots with different lacing and more of an "open ankle" design that allows your ankle to move as necessary in the boot. Most other brands, for example, Jackson are designed to lock your ankle in and work with your foot as one. I really miss wearing my Edeas; I had some of the best times on the ice with them; and they're so pretty! But I just can' t wear them anymore. Jackson is great though. I recently purchased the Jackson Premiere which have 65% rigidity for single/double jumps with the John Wilson Coronation Ace blades. That may work as a combination for you!
Whatever you do, PLEASE go through the fitting process with a professional skate tech! And don't just go to the first one you meet. Shop around and gain advice from your coach and/or other skaters who they recommend! Your wallet, feet, and skating will thank you!!
Hope this helps and happy skating!

Avafigureskates24

Spectator
Hello and welcome! :)

One thing that's very much worth considering - it takes time to go through the fitting process, and right now, shipping/supply chains are still messed up pretty much all over the world. People are waiting weeks or even months for their boots and blades to come in at the shop (I just got a new pair earlier this year, and it took almost 10 weeks to get my boots!). The Artistes you're in really aren't meant for an adult-sized skater to jump in - so the sooner you can go get fitted and start the process, the better, especially if you're working on jumps!
Ok, thank you so much! I will definitely be trying to get a pair as soon as possible!

Avafigureskates24

Spectator
I speak from personal experience - GET PROPERLY FITTED BY A REPUTABLE, PROFESSIONAL SKATE TECH! Otherwise you could wind up with the wrong pair of boot/blade combination and be out A LOT of $$$! I can also offer some advice on Jackson vs Edea for you since I have flip-flopped between both brands within the past 12 years. Both brands of boots are trusted and cherished, lol. Unfortunately I had to say goodbye to my Edea Ice Flys this year; in fact, because of how my feet changed shape over the years, I am no longer a candidate to wear any Edea boot. This is just a personal experience; not saying every skater will have this issue. In fact, my situation is unusual: I have what my skate tech refers to as a half-n-half foot. My toe box is wide but my heels are so narrowly tapered that unfortunately prevents me from wearing Edea boots safely. With Edea, they come as is: they are not very customizable as far as making any necessary adjustments. There's no middle ground with Edea; they either work for you or they don't. They also operate quite differently from traditional leather boots with different lacing and more of an "open ankle" design that allows your ankle to move as necessary in the boot. Most other brands, for example, Jackson are designed to lock your ankle in and work with your foot as one. I really miss wearing my Edeas; I had some of the best times on the ice with them; and they're so pretty! But I just can' t wear them anymore. Jackson is great though. I recently purchased the Jackson Premiere which have 65% rigidity for single/double jumps with the John Wilson Coronation Ace blades. That may work as a combination for you!
Whatever you do, PLEASE go through the fitting process with a professional skate tech! And don't just go to the first one you meet. Shop around and gain advice from your coach and/or other skaters who they recommend! Your wallet, feet, and skating will thank you!!
Hope this helps and happy skating!
Omg, thank you so much! My feet are very unusual like yours so I'll think about what you said. I definitely will be working with a skate tech for the first time. This was so helpful, thank you so much again!

Avafigureskates24

Spectator
Hi and welcome! Your height and weight help, but I need to know your foot type (look this up). Your shoe size doesn't help.

Also, if you would like a recommendation for a proper fitter, where you are in this world of ours.

:)
I know my foot's pronation type is the neutral type, and I have wide feet. I have also never had a proper fitting by a pro skate tech, or molding so if you know some places/people in CA, preferably near SSF, San Mateo, or San Jose that would be great. Thank you!

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I know my foot's pronation type is the neutral type, and I have wide feet. I have also never had a proper fitting by a pro skate tech, or molding so if you know some places/people in CA, preferably near SSF, San Mateo, or San Jose that would be great. Thank you!
I need to know your foot type or I can't suggest brands.

LolaSkatesInJapan

♥ Kami Valieva fan ♥
Final Flight
Country
Israel
GET PROPERLY FITTED BY A REPUTABLE, PROFESSIONAL SKATE TECH! Otherwise you could wind up with the wrong pair of boot/blade combination and be out A LOT of $$$!
This is always the best and correct advice, and I would add that it needs to be in person, as in you physically go to meet with the professional.
Talks from online people who never meet you in person and don't physically see you, your legs and feet and how those fit into the skates, are rather meaningless.

I love my Edea Ice Flys so much, but I physically go to a professional, and no matter how much I describe my feet online, it can't compare to a professional analyzing your feet in person, so my description is rather irrelevant.

I don't know anyone who lives very close to any professional skate fitter, currently it takes me about 2 hours to go there and 2 hours to come back and there are people who go there who spent much longer trips to commute there, but as IcyMay23 says, not going through this process can cost you way more $$$$, time and all kind of problems by not having the best footwear match for you.

hope_skate

Rinkside
Country
Russia
no matter how much I describe my feet online, it can't compare to a professional analyzing your feet in person, so my description is rather irrelevant.
THIS! because what is narrow/wide/high arch/low arch to you may not be the same to others. I thought that my feet is narrow but the C width in Edea fits me best. So, although it is still narrower than others, it's not as narrow as I thought it to be. I bought a skate (thankfully a cheap recreational ones) based on this assumption of "narrow" and it was too narrow for my feet.

IcyMay23

Rinkside
This is always the best and correct advice, and I would add that it needs to be in person, as in you physically go to meet with the professional.
Talks from online people who never meet you in person and don't physically see you, your legs and feet and how those fit into the skates, are rather meaningless.

I love my Edea Ice Flys so much, but I physically go to a professional, and no matter how much I describe my feet online, it can't compare to a professional analyzing your feet in person, so my description is rather irrelevant.

I don't know anyone who lives very close to any professional skate fitter, currently it takes me about 2 hours to go there and 2 hours to come back and there are people who go there who spent much longer trips to commute there, but as IcyMay23 says, not going through this process can cost you way more $$$$, time and all kind of problems by not having the best footwear match for you.
Yes, definitely in-person fitting - totally agree! My skate tech is about an hour drive away without traffic, so I feel ya! But totally worth it!