2014 Skate Canada Mens SP 10/31 | Page 21 | Golden Skate

2014 Skate Canada Mens SP 10/31

ice coverage

Record Breaker
My IN feed worked flawlessly through the first group, then started getting iffy through Menshov, before getting completely choppy during...you guessed it...Max.

Here's a video of his SP.

Kevin Bacon does not wear an untied bow tie, but I feel like the costume is supposed to be later in the night at the prom? Even if the bow tie is maroon instead of black. Actually, I was watching the movie again last night, and all things considered, this is not as horrific as it had the potential to be.

Thanks for the Max vid, karne.

Was just curious about the bow-tie thing. Thx for the context. Don't get me wrong; Max's tie -- esp. b/c it is maroon -- is a bit of a pleasant reminder (for me) of a Scott Moir costume from years ago :).

I saw Kevin Bacon walking on Broadway not too long ago. Damn, I should have asked him! ;)

Actually, I think this could be a very good program for Max, but today it was tight. Beginning of season nerves probably.

A real-life First Degree of KB moment? ;) :cool:

I do hope that Max's SP will get better and better. :)

(LOL, I don't suppose KB and the lovely Kyra S. ever would be caught dead near Frump City -- a locale quite familiar to me, I'm afraid.)

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
Thanks for the Max vid, karne.

Was just curious about the bow-tie thing. Thx for the context. Don't get me wrong; Max's tie -- esp. b/c it is maroon -- is a bit of a pleasant reminder (for me) of a Scott Moir costume from years ago :).

A real-life First Degree of KB moment? ;) :cool:

I do hope that Max's SP will get better and better. :)

(LOL, I don't suppose KB and the lovely Kyra S. ever would be caught dead near Frump City -- a locale quite familiar to me, I'm afraid.)

This is totally off-topic, but a good story nonetheless...

A few years ago, my mom and I were coming home by subway from seeing a Broadway show. And who should be sitting across from us on the subway than Kyra S and a friend of hers, also coming home from a show. And the whole ride uptown my Mom kept saying to me, "Isn't that Kyra S? That really looks like Kyra S. She's married to Kevin Bacon, right? Oh, I really like her show..." And it was fun to see Kyra "pretending" not to hear, while undoubtedly lapping up every word!

Only in New York, kids, only in New York...

Did anyone see the TSN coverage?

(1) Any interesting analysis from Craig Buntin's software?

(2) What kind of behind-the-scenes stuff did Tessa/Scott do? And what did they say in the interview with B. Williams?

In the interview with Craig Buntin, he talked a bit about looking at the speed of males skaters as they go into their quads. The example was last year's SC and as expected, Chan was the fastest in the competition at over 25 km/h. Hanyu was, if I remember correctly, just under 25. They also showed ice coverage, speed, time, and pattern of Chan's step sequence. Buntin also explained that the analysis would be shown during the slow motion replay and viewers would be able to compare the numbers between skaters to get a better understanding of why one skater did better technically than another.

Behind the scenes with Tessa and Scott: http://www.tsn.ca/video/skate-canada-the-post-skate-1.121763

Mao88

Record Breaker
MEN'S SHORT PROGRAM - VIDEOS & RESULT

1. Javier FERNANDEZ (ESP) - 86.36 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
2. Takahito MURA (JPN) - 82.57 Short Program, 2nd Copy
3. Konstantin MENSHOV (RUS) - 81.70 Short Program, 2nd Copy
4. Stephen CARRIERE (USA) - 80.33 Short Program
5. Max AARON (USA) - 76.50 Short Program, 2nd Copy
6. Takahiko KOZUKA (JPN) - 75.85 Short Program
7. Michal BREZINA (CZE) - 73.29 Short Program
8. Florent AMODIO (FRA) - 72.14 Short Program, 2nd Copy
9. Andrei ROGOZINE (CAN) - 70.95 Short Program
10. Liam FIRUS (CAN) - 64.94 Short Program
11. Adam RIPPON (USA) - 62.83 Short Program, 2nd Copy

unico

Final Flight
In the interview with Craig Buntin, he talked a bit about looking at the speed of males skaters as they go into their quads. The example was last year's SC and as expected, Chan was the fastest in the competition at over 25 km/h. Hanyu was, if I remember correctly, just under 25. They also showed ice coverage, speed, time, and pattern of Chan's step sequence. Buntin also explained that the analysis would be shown during the slow motion replay and viewers would be able to compare the numbers between skaters to get a better understanding of why one skater did better technically than another.

Behind the scenes with Tessa and Scott: http://www.tsn.ca/video/skate-canada-the-post-skate-1.121763
It's such an interesting idea to quantify the sport like this and help inform the viewer. It's difficult to get the full "sense" of a program (speed, ice coverage, etc) from home, and of course it's completely different from watching live, but one can compare the numbers relatively to other skaters. Hanyu and Chan are obviously some of the fastest skaters, I would love to see how their speeds differ from competition to competition and how they would relate to skaters from lower PCS tiers.

And yes, thank you for sharing, gecko! :)

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Many thanks, gecko. :)

Hope that Buntin's software will be applied to quantify the speed, etc., of more skaters currently competing.

Love the Tessa/Scott video. I miss them as competitors, but enjoy seeing them as on-air personalities. :) [And so happy that the video is not geo-blocked in the U.S.]

gecko, I hope you don't mind that I am going to copy your posting of the video link into the videos thread.

Mao88

Record Breaker
MEN'S SHORT PROGRAM - VIDEOS & RESULT - updated

1. Javier FERNANDEZ (ESP) - 86.36 Short Program, 2nd Copy, 3rd Copy
2. Takahito MURA (JPN) - 82.57 Short Program, 2nd Copy
3. Konstantin MENSHOV (RUS) - 81.70 Short Program, 2nd Copy
4. Stephen CARRIERE (USA) - 80.33 Short Program, 2nd Copy
5. Max AARON (USA) - 76.50 Short Program, 2nd Copy
6. Takahiko KOZUKA (JPN) - 75.85 Short Program
7. Michal BREZINA (CZE) - 73.29 Short Program, 2nd Copy
8. Florent AMODIO (FRA) - 72.14 Short Program, 2nd Copy
9. Andrei ROGOZINE (CAN) - 70.95 Short Program
10. Liam FIRUS (CAN) - 64.94 Short Program
11. Adam RIPPON (USA) - 62.83 Short Program, 2nd Copy

ice coverage

Record Breaker
This is totally off-topic, but a good story nonetheless...

A few years ago, my mom and I were coming home by subway from seeing a Broadway show. And who should be sitting across from us on the subway than Kyra S and a friend of hers, also coming home from a show. And the whole ride uptown my Mom kept saying to me, "Isn't that Kyra S? That really looks like Kyra S. She's married to Kevin Bacon, right? Oh, I really like her show..." And it was fun to see Kyra "pretending" not to hear, while undoubtedly lapping up every word!

Only in New York, kids, only in New York...

Great story. The best part is that Kyra is no stranger to the subway. :)

It's such an interesting idea to quantify the sport like this and help inform the viewer. It's difficult to get the full "sense" of a program (speed, ice coverage, etc) from home, and of course it's completely different from watching live, but one can compare the numbers relatively to other skaters. Hanyu and Chan are obviously some of the fastest skaters, I would love to see how their speeds differ from competition to competition and how they would relate to skaters from lower PCS tiers.

And yes, thank you for sharing, gecko! :)

I think Buntin said that Chan's sequence covered something like 190 m, had a speed of 14 km/h with lots of sharp turns, and took 38 s. There was a picture/diagram to show the actual pattern. I can't remember exactly the numbers but I think these are correct. I wish I had the presence of mind to take a picture during that segment. But it was definitely very impressive (Chan and the software) and I can't wait to see more.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
I watched the men competition on TSN, wonderful to be able to use my big TV screen. I loved it, but I did not like the commentators, and the way they dismissed Menshov. They were so depreciative as if he a were a second grade skater. That was so unprofessional. I am not Russian, not even close, but I felt weird. I love Menshov and I respect him for being able to skate like this at 30 years old.
Oh, Javi just stole the show!

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
Huh? Who decide which skaters are in the middle of the pack and which ones are artists and special? To me, Jason Brown and Adam Rippon are in the middle of the pack skaters. So is Mura but his jumps are so much more exciting to watch than Adam and Jason's skating, to me anyway.
Plus you shouldn't hate it when someone skate clean.

:thumbsup:
If the so called artistic skaters don't get it together, I'm all for "middle-of-the-pack" skaters beating them, if they deliver. It's still a competition...

Javi was awesome, and I love him to much to wish him anything but 1st. But honestly, I'm SO rooting for the "nothing special" Mura to kick everyones butt in the LP now. I don't even know who the "artistic/special" ones that didn't deliver are supposed to be here.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I watched the men competition on TSN, wonderful to be able to use my big TV screen. I loved it, but I did not like the commentators, and the way they dismissed Menshov. They were so depreciative as if he a were a second grade skater. That was so unprofessional. I am not Russian, not even close, but I felt weird. I love Menshov and I respect him for being able to skate like this at 30 years old.

Which commentators? What did they say? :frown:

He's actually 31 and he's wonderful in my eyes! I didn't see any of the younger guys here doing 2 quads in their SP...and he's very expressive as well. I don't think he gets enough credit for his artistry.

(I loved Javi, too, but Kostya is an inspiration to me!)

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Yikes, totally missed this competition. Messed up timing. What ever happened to Adam? This is tragic!!!

I enjoyed watching Menshov live at NRW Trophy a few years ago, always wondered why he is not more higher rated than say someone like Artur (also seen live), who I have always thought was over rated. Glad he is doing so well here.

supsu

On the Ice
Max succeeded in SELLING Black Betty long before Fernandez did, BTW.

Max had a terrific exhibition to Black Betty two seasons ago.

If u mean this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgy6Sy8O9jU

Then, are u kidding me? How is he selling it with crossovers after crossovers and clapping along the music? :confused: :no:

Anyways, it think Max's short program's beginning till the quad and then step sequence is great and i feel like he is performing. Then in the middle i actually thought he forgot what to do cause he looked so lost and didn't hear his music at all. :laugh:

Javi's program was A-mazing :clap:

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
:thumbsup:
If the so called artistic skaters don't get it together, I'm all for "middle-of-the-pack" skaters beating them, if they deliver. It's still a competition...

Javi was awesome, and I love him to much to wish him anything but 1st. But honestly, I'm SO rooting for the "nothing special" Mura to kick everyones butt in the LP now. I don't even know who the "artistic/special" ones that didn't deliver are supposed to be here.
:points: :clap:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
If u mean this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgy6Sy8O9jU

Then, are u kidding me? How is he selling it with crossovers after crossovers and clapping along the music? :confused: :no:

Anyways, it think Max's short program's beginning till the quad and then step sequence is great and i feel like he is performing. Then in the middle i actually thought he forgot what to do cause he looked so lost and didn't hear his music at all. :laugh:

Javi's program was A-mazing :clap:

"Selling" obviously means something completely different to you and to me. It has nothing to do with crossovers or the lack thereof, IMO. Max's program was an exhibition.

(Sorry, I could not play your YT link -- for some reason have been having trouble playing many YT vids.)

Pippuripihvi

Final Flight

TSN commentators are terrible.
I miss British Eurosport guys so much.

Sabrina

Record Breaker
Which commentators? What did they say? :frown:

He's actually 31 and he's wonderful in my eyes! I didn't see any of the younger guys here doing 2 quads in their SP...and he's very expressive as well. I don't think he gets enough credit for his artistry.

(I loved Javi, too, but Kostya is an inspiration to me!)
I don't remember the exact words, but it was about not covering the ice, and not comparing to whatever level. It was a female voice, and although I am almost sure who she is, I won't post her name, not being without doubt.

adelia

Record Breaker
I just want Menshov to medal, then I will be happy. He doesn't get enough respect all round.