2014 NHK Trophy Mens Free Skate 11/29 | Page 24 | Golden Skate

2014 NHK Trophy Mens Free Skate 11/29

Interspectator

Record Breaker
A good day for Frank Carol and a great day for Murakami Daisuke. It came from left field but it was wonderful!
Well done Vornov and Mura also.
I'm glad Hanyu got into the final as that was what he was aiming for.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
:hijacked: Jeremy is not my cup of tea as I've stated clearly in the beginning of the thread. Did i say Jeremy was over-scored? No. Unlike you who always laugh at the scores. I remember you said in the prediction thread that Yuzuru would win with 10 falls. I mean, seriously, they only have 8 jumping passes in the Free. You don't like the judges, you don't like the score it's your business but at least don't be irrational. I think this time the judges were quite fair.

But if it were me Jeremy wouldn't have gotten the highest PCS of the night because he was so boring today (that means if I were the judges). I see nothing pointless about that.

If anything the highest PCS should be given to Daisuke Murakami.

Didn't Farris have a fall during his step sequence? Didn't Verner once fall on his entry into a flying camel spin last season? You can fall at times that aren't jumps. It's not irrational because it is possible; hate to break it to you.

The first bolded part lets me know that you're not being impartial, so how I can I find your opinion well-rounded if you outright state you don't like his skating? That is irrational for you to expect me to concede to your way of thinking about the scoring.

The second bolded part is pointless because there isn't a deduction for "being boring" in the IJS rule book unless there is and I haven't read it? :)

Ayeshoo

On the Ice
The GP is like an emotional roller coaster. It's always nice to get surprises though. Go Dice! Yesterday I thought Mura would be winning the gold. And congrats to Hanyu for achieving his goal here. With all the courage and struggles these past few weeks, I'm just so happy for him. I hope he can be back to his 100% self soon.

I do wish the skaters focus on improving more the quality of each element to get higher GOEs. No one ever got a 3 here (except one for Hanyu), I think. And just so many negatives on the protocols.

HJJ

Rinkside
Did anybody realize that Yuzu was in danger of zayaking? When he popped 4t into 3t, I thought he would come up something not to zayak. But he did 3a3t. If he does second 3lutz, that jump would be invalidated, thinking he wouldn't miss second 3a. Literally I was screaming at the screen not to go for 3t in 3a combo. I guessed he realized that right before second 3a because it is very unusual for him to pop 3a. Anyway, when he popped second 3a, I shouted yes!! Haha..

If Jeremy put at least a single toe behind his second 3a, it wouldn't have counted as repeated jump and he would have gotten full value of 3a plus bonus 10%. That means, he would have sent Jason to Finals.

I would say second 3a decided their fate.

Last edited:

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Did anybody realize that Yuzu was in danger of zayaking? When he popped 4t into 3t, I thought he would come up something not to zayak. But he did 3a3t. If he does second 3lutz, that jump would be invalidated, thinking he wouldn't miss second 3a. Literally I was screaming at the screen not to go for 3t in 3a combo. I guessed he realized that right before second 3a because it is very unusual for him to pop 3a. Anyway, when he popped second 3a, I shouted yes!! Haha..

If Jeremy put at least a single toe behind his second 3a, it wouldn't have counted as repeated jump and he would have gotten full value of 3a plus bonus 10%. That means, he would have sent Jason to Finals.

You are right, I didn't realized somehow trough program that Abott hasn't done combination with 2nd 3A and it was counted a repeated , and adding to that he had only 2 combinations

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Didn't Farris have a fall during his step sequence? Didn't Verner once fall on his entry into a flying camel spin last season? You can fall at times that aren't jumps. It's not irrational because it is possible; hate to break it to you.
If you truly look at how they scored skaters at CoR, TEB, you shouldn't have said something like "fall 10 times still win". Be realistic please.

The second bolded part is pointless because there isn't a deduction for "being boring" in the IJS rule book unless there is and I haven't read it? :)
You certainly forgot that the judges don't have to give any skaters any deduction for being boring, huh? Just give them the low score. :rolleye:
And I remember under 6.0 some judges could even talk about these things.

Note that I don't think Jeremy was over-scored or anything. I simply said I think his PCS is too high because I find his performance boring. So in short if I were the judges I would not give him the highest PCS of the day. :p but it's not like I don't understand why he got that score.

Last edited:

treeloving

Medalist

Yes! That true. I watched the clip again and it seems he intended to skip the jump, I glad he is calm enough to remember this.

I am so occupied with GPF till not think about this at all.

Also I would like to thank Mrs.P for her calculation, it really make watching live broadcast much more fun.

Last edited:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I'll have to hear the interview again to say for sure, but Hanyu did get asked to make a statement in front of the arena and he said some thing like,
"I'm very sorry that this performance is the one you had to watch. I don't make excuses because of the injury and it doesn't have to do with lack of training time. This is just what my level is right now..." :cry:
I'm sure he will put his whole heart into improving himself.

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker
If you truly look at how they scored skaters at CoR, TEB, you shouldn't have said something like "fall 10 times still win". Be realistic please.

If there's something that I've learned on this board about FS is that you should never compare scores across competitions. ;)

You certainly forgot that the judges don't have to give any skaters any deduction for being boring, huh? Just give them the low score. :rolleye:
And I remember under 6.0 some judges could even talk about these things.

Note that I don't think Jeremy was over-scored or anything. I simply said I think his PCS is too high because I find his performance boring. So in short if I were the judges I would not give him the highest PCS of the day. :p but it's not like I don't understand why he got that score.

Wait... what?? LOL. Your logic is... quite faulty to put it nicely.

Go back to your fantasy world. :cheer:

Meoima

Match Penalty
If there's something that I've learned on this board about FS is that you should never compare scores across competitions. ;)
Wait... what?? LOL. Your logic is... quite faulty to put it nicely.
Go back to your fantasy world. :cheer:
Simple: I understand why they gave Jeremy that scores, from their perspective. But from mine it doesn't look superb.

You might not think that Jennifer Lawrence deserved the Oscar because she's not your cup of tea. But at the same time you can see why she got the Oscar. It's the same with the judge sport.

People don't like Gracie won with such PCS, I also find her program too generic, but I can understand why the judges gave her that score. It's the same with trying out their shoes. Does that mean the shoes fit your leg? No.

Last edited:

iceberg

On the Ice
Funny that yesterday SP they're saying that Yuzuru is not yet in his best health condition to compete and now in the FS they're saying that the psychological burden and the pressure being Japan's hero, olympic and world champion is the reason for his unlean FS. Why can't these people just accept the fact that Yuna is the only OGM to have never been off the podium.(Just kidding!)

But seriously people should just accept that in any games, you win some and you lose some.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Funny that yesterday SP they're saying that Yuzuru is not yet in his best health condition to compete and now in the FS they're saying that the psychological burden and the pressure being Japan's hero, olympic and world champion is the reason for his unlean FS. Why can't these people just accept the fact that Yuna is the only OGM to have never been off the podium.(Just kidding!)
But seriously people should just accept that in any games, you win some and you lose some.
If anything people are saying he shouldn't be in GPF to push his battered body even more. Why can't some people just accept that there are people who are more concerned over skaters' health?

And yes, Let's not forget about Joshua Farris. I wonder about his leg. Has he healed?

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congrats to Murakami for winning the Gold Medal, I did not see that coming!

gravy

¿No ven quién soy yo?
Record Breaker

LMAO :laugh:

Simple: I understand why they gave Jeremy that scores, from their perspective. But from mine it doesn't look superb.

You might not think that Jennifer Lawrence deserved the Oscar because she's not your cup of tea. But at the same time you can see why she got the Oscar. It's the same with the judge sport.

People don't like Gracie won with such PCS, I also find her program too generic, but I can understand why the judges gave her that score. It's the same with trying out their shoes. Does that mean the shoes fit your leg? No.

I don't understand your shoe metaphor, but I do understand your point of view re: 'scoring' now that you've written it out. :thumbsup:

But at the end of the day, the skaters get what they get. Maybe it's just me because I can't hold grudges for the life of me, but arguing isn't going to change anything about the scoring. Might as well accept it and move on. Yuzu is in the GPF now and others aren't. The end. :biggrin:

iceberg

On the Ice
If anything people are saying he shouldn't be in GPF to push his battered body even more. Why can't some people just accept that there are people who are more concerned over skaters' health?

And yes, Let's not forget about Joshua Farris. I wonder about his leg. Has he healed?

I guess what I'm just saying is, for as long as its not a life and death situation, for as long as his not bleeding across the ice, health condition should not be made an excuse. I'm sure Yuzuru knows his capacity more than we know.

But having said that, Yuzuru still pulled off a very gutsy and beautiful program. The very gorgeous Joshua Farris as well! 2 technically unclean programs but equally beautiful.

Meoima

Match Penalty
I guess what I'm just saying is, for as long as its not a life and death situation, for as long as his not bleeding across the ice, health condition should not be made an excuse. I'm sure Yuzuru knows his capacity more than we know.
But having said that, Yuzuru still pulled off a very gutsy and beautiful program. The very gorgeous Joshua Farris as well! 2 technically unclean programs but equally beautiful.
Mah... For the record I didn't say they are in life and death situation. But pushing their bodies so hard at this point when they are still so young (Yuzuru is 19, Han Yan and Fariss are 18) is kinda dangerous for the long term IMO. I still think they came back to the ice and start training too soon. But heck... What can we do? Just hope that they will be healthy.
Best luck to them.