2014-2015 GPF Pairs Short Program 12/11 | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2014-2015 GPF Pairs Short Program 12/11

wallylutz

Medalist
For me, D/R clearly had the performance of the night both technically and in the 2nd marks as well. The Russians' attempt to skate to a Chinese themed movie soundtrack, while a valiant effort, failed to do their chosen theme justice. For one thing, the costumes left a lot to be desired, namely, he supposedly has a "Chinese dragon" printed in the dead center of his shirt but that thing, whatever it is, looks more like cartoonish caricature of a dragon or the Loch Ness monster. Here is a google image search results when typing : Chinese Dragon, https://www.google.ca/search?q=Chin...WHyAT28oKgAg&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1524&bih=745 You can see what he wore bare no resemblance whatsoever to what he is trying to portray. It reminds me how a former Russian dance duo tried to skate to aboriginal Australian theme meant as a tribute but ended up coming across as offensive. Dragon being the most sacred and important symbol representing China as Chinese people call themselves as the "descendants of the dragon", I felt that really poor job with his costume is very disrespectful given that this is a very known Chinese movie they are skating to. It really doesn't take much effort to pay a little more attention to what you wear instead of such cheaply made costume.

Such superficial things aside, I thought the program was well skated with great speed and lines as usual but the choreography and interpretation are incomprehensible. What they skated to, you could turn off the sound, it wouldn't make any difference. To me, they are better off sticking to safe themes that totally showcase their superior speed and ballet training, no wonder despite almost everyone expecting them to beat D/R easily in the 2nd marks, they failed to do so. I can only imagine those Asian judges looking at that performance and scratching their heads what the hell did they just skate to.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I have no problem with that. I think the placement is right, not their PCS being so close to S&K and such a difference between them and Sui&Han.
However, not complaining here, but I would love to see the same attitude when this happens in womens competition, insead of going mad because someone better technically wins it. ;)

Far more close to their real "quality" than a 10. Do you want to make a guess who gave that too? ;)

D/R don't deserve a 10.00 yet, but they don't deserve 7's either. They should be at least mid-8's with a couple of 9's. Not only do they go for the highest difficulty but their program is packed with content and inbetween difficulty.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
For me, D/R clearly had the performance of the night both technically and in the 2nd marks as well. The Russians' attempt to skate to a Chinese themed movie soundtrack, while a valiant effort, failed to do their chosen theme justice. For one thing, the costumes left a lot to be desired, namely, he supposedly has a "Chinese dragon" printed in the dead center of his shirt but that thing, whatever it is, looks more like cartoonish caricature of a dragon or the Loch Ness monster. Here is a google image search results when typing : Chinese Dragon, https://www.google.ca/search?q=Chin...WHyAT28oKgAg&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1524&bih=745 You can see what he wore bare no resemblance whatsoever to what he is trying to portray. It reminds me how a former Russian dance duo tried to skate to aboriginal Australian theme meant as a tribute but ended up coming across as offensive. Dragon being the most sacred and important symbol representing China as Chinese people call themselves as the "descendants of the dragon", I felt that really poor job with his costume is very disrespectful given that this is a very known Chinese movie they are skating to. It really doesn't take much effort to pay a little more attention to what you wear instead of such cheaply made costume.

Such superficial things aside, I thought the program was well skated with great speed and lines as usual but the choreography and interpretation are incomprehensible. What they skated to, you could turn off the sound, it wouldn't make any difference. To me, they are better off sticking to safe themes that totally showcase their superior speed and ballet training, no wonder despite almost everyone expecting them to beat D/R easily in the 2nd marks, they failed to do so. I can only imagine those Asian judges looking at that performance and scratching their heads what the hell did they just skate to.

As mentioned, the dragon symbol on his shirt is the symbol from Mortal Kombat, a video game. :laugh: This is how a dragon on a chinese themed outfit should be... http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I0000saJJrK9DPlA/s/750/750/Mira-Leung-CAN-1.jpg

Not the Jetsons.

And I say this out of love for S/K because their attack/speed is breathtaking, but they really come off as campy at times and those costumes aren't helping. Addams Family, camp works perfectly... not so much Crouching Tiger. IMO, D/R have a better connection than S/K in their programs this season, which is saying something because D/R don't exactly have the best connection themselves.

Last edited:

Alba

Record Breaker
D/R don't deserve a 10.00 yet, but they don't deserve 7's either. They should be at least mid-8's with a couple of 9's.

No 9s but I agree on the 8. I think the same about S&K and S&H, although I do think they have more quality in their skating and interpretation.

Not only do they go for the highest difficulty but their program is packed with content and inbetween difficulty.

Which is exactly what I'm talking about. Why is that so different for the girls which are packed with content and inbetween difficulty as well? It's the double standarts I don get and find it ridiculous.

p.s The talk about their costumes being offensive is ridiculous too, as much as they were about D&S (although I hated that program). They might not be right, but to call it offensive it's really out of proportion.
I'm glad and find it a good effort if someone try to do something which is part of my culture. Although might not be correct. All this talk about the costumes and theme is Much Ado About Nothing.

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I can only imagine those Asian judges looking at that performance and scratching their heads what the hell did they just skate to.

OMG, I just realised Worlds is in Shanghai. :laugh: PLEASE if there's a god, get S/K better costumes by then... I mean, it's nice they decided to skate to that for the Chinese fans, but OMG they'll be ridiculed by the Chinese audiences.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
No 9s but I agree on the 8. I think the same about S&K and S&H, although I do think they have more quality in their skating and interpretation.

Which is exactly what I'm talking about. Why is that so different for the girls which are packed with content and inbetween difficulty as well? It's the double standarts I don get and find it ridiculous.

Yeah, for D/R, I mean 9.00 and 9.25 if you're being generous. For their SP, my scores for D/R probably would have been 8.75/8.50/9.00/8.75/9.00 S&K I would have given 9.00/8.00/9.00/8.25/8.50. Neither team is quite worthy of 9.50+.

I think D/R have more difficulty in their choreography, more transitions (which thankfully most judges acknowledged) and better connection in their SP than S/K, but S/K have better speed and overall skating skills (I also think that S/K have slightly better quality elements, even if they're easier). S/H, of course, in my opinion should be getting much better PCS marks... I personally think they have excellent interpretation, and for their sizes/ages they skate with connection and conviction. I'm absolutely appalled that one judge gave them 6.50 for Interpretation.

Alba

Record Breaker
Yeah, for D/R, I mean 9.00 and 9.25 if you're being generous. For their SP, my scores for D/R probably would have been 8.75/8.50/9.00/8.75/9.00 S&K I would have given 9.00/8.00/9.00/8.25/8.50. Neither team is quite worthy of 9.50+.

I think D/R have more difficulty in their choreography, more transitions (which thankfully most judges acknowledged) and better connection in their SP than S/K, but S/K have better speed and overall skating skills (I also think that S/K have slightly better quality elements, even if they're easier). S/H, of course, in my opinion should be getting much better PCS marks... I personally think they have excellent interpretation, and for their sizes/ages they skate with connection and conviction. I'm absolutely appalled that one judge gave them 6.50 for Interpretation.

I fully agree.

About Sui&Han, I'm appalled too. I said this when I saw them at TEB, they have some problems being in unison, and she is much better than him in projecting. I mean she does skate bigger than him, but other than that I don't see that much difference between top 3 couples as the judges seems to.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Maybe S/K are portraying Hidden Dragon and Crouching Tigress? :think: I checked and couldn't find a picture of a tiger on her costume, as cool as it is. :disapp:

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker

p.s The talk about their costumes being offensive is ridiculous too, as much as they were about D&S (although I hated that program). They might not be right, but to call it offensive it's really out of proportion.
I'm glad and find it a good effort if someone try to do something which is part of my culture. Although might not be correct. All this talk about the costumes and theme is Much Ado About Nothing.

Oh I have to completely disagree with you on D/S's costumes. It WAS downright offensive. Actually, it seemed more like it started out simply as a misguided effort to do something "different," but the more they and their coaches tried to defend everything and anything about the program, the more offensive every single thing about it--including its costumes--got. I wouldn't put S/K's costumes in quite that level. They're simply silly. He looks like he's auditioning for the Star Trek hockey team and she looks like a hostess at the Star Trek Nightclub. They're not even kitsch--just silly. YMMV, of course.

wallylutz

Medalist
OMG, I just realised Worlds is in Shanghai. :laugh: PLEASE if there's a god, get S/K better costumes by then... I mean, it's nice they decided to skate to that for the Chinese fans, but OMG they'll be ridiculed by the Chinese audiences.

I am very confident they will get ridiculed by the Chinese media and audience in Shanghai with that costume. Unlike the Spaniards, the Chinese audience isn't exactly known to be particularly kind to these transgressions, especially because Pairs event is by far the most popular FS discipline in China, so a lot of people will be watching. Then again, I am also fairly confident they will get rid of this costume very quickly, can't imagine they use such cheaply made costume for the big events. I know the Russian Rouble has fallen a lot and Russian economy may already be in a recession but getting a proper costume should still be easily achievable.

Alba

Record Breaker
Oh I have to completely disagree with you on D/S's costumes. It WAS downright offensive. Actually, it seemed more like it started out simply as a misguided effort to do something "different," but the more they and their coaches tried to defend everything and anything about the program, the more offensive every single thing about it--including its costumes--got.

I think that whole discussion was out of any proportion tbh, but that's just me.

I wouldn't put S/K's costumes in quite that level. They're simply silly. He looks like he's auditioning for the Star Trek hockey team and she looks like a hostess at the Star Trek Nightclub. They're not even kitsch--just silly. YMMV, of course.

I'm not crazy about their costumes either (well his actually because I love hers), but I don't mind them because I like the concept behind it. Although it could've been better. But offensive? Are you kidding me? :laugh:
Do you want me to bring all the mistakes in the Gladiator movie, or anyother movie or tv series about romans or greeks? :biggrin:

Last edited:

apple123

On the Ice
S/K's sp is so empty. Do they even have any transitions? Basically they are doing elements after elements with nothing matching the music. And the judges gave them 34+ for PCS. Lol.

Scovies

Final Flight
I agree with everyone else -- S/K would really benefit from more authentic/traditional costumes. "Packaging" has gotten a lot of discussion around here recently, and this is a case of a strong program being dragged down by incongruous/lazy costuming. Interestingly enough, their choice of the Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon soundtrack was a movie that had its own issues in the same vein. Neither of the film's stars actually spoke Mandarin as a native language. Chow Yun-fat is a native Cantonese speaker, and Michelle Yeoh is Malaysian, so they both had non-native accents that a lot of Mandarin speakers took issue with. I loved the movie when I saw it, but as an English speaker, the subtleties of their accents were lost on me.

azcalder

Rinkside
Wow,,, my highlights;
1. D/R's sbs lutz - great timing and synching 100%
2. Ksenia's line and edge + K/S sbs spin with beats and crowd's reaction out of it:dance:
3. S/H's karisma + throw jump - it seemed so high that they can attempt a quad some day;)
4. Y/J's dramatic ending
I am excited what they are going to bring for the fp. :cheer:

Han has talked about possibly adding the quad throw next year.

Meoima

Match Penalty
As an Asian I find S/K costumes absolutely funny. :laugh2: But I don't think of them as offensive. I hope they will change it before WC at Shanghai. And don't worry Chinese audience will not make fun of them. They are mostly nice.
Still if it were me on the judge panel they might have gotten some deduction for their costumes. :laugh:
And I am saying this as someone who enjoy S/K very much.

Last edited:

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I am glad the pair with the most height difference and the pair with the least height difference are in the top 3. It shows how talent/hard work can compensate their physical limitations.

Megan & Eric: the height difference is sometimes comic looking. When he hods her waist to spin, I thought for a moment a dad was holding a boy. No offense but that's how I feel. It might be the camera but I don't feel Eric tried to look at Megan in the eyes when skating.
Han is perhaps the shortest male pair skater ever. But I am amazed how well he has been doing with the lifts and throws, considering Sui is taller and stockier than Megan.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I don't find S/K's outfits offensive. Maybe a bit silly, on his part. It's not bad enough to get booed in Shanghai or anything.

I have bigger issues with the composition of their SP. Ending on a step sequence? And when the step sequence is actually one of your weaker elements? Doesn't make sense to me.

Alba

Record Breaker
I have bigger issues with the composition of their SP. Ending on a step sequence? And when the step sequence is actually one of your weaker elements? Doesn't make sense to me.

I like that. It's intense and it's different. They also have improved a lot since CoR on the stepseq.

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
D/R don't deserve a 10.00 yet, but they don't deserve 7's either. They should be at least mid-8's with a couple of 9's. Not only do they go for the highest difficulty but their program is packed with content and inbetween difficulty.

Trankov said when he commented on Russian Eurosport 2 yesterday that they really have problems with skating together. They skate on parallel lines almost all the time, or they just doing simple dance holds. He thinks it's easier in transitions and overall, and there's even a joke about them around professional skaters that they're two solo skaters who skate as pair.