2015 Russian Nationals Mens SP | Page 8 | Golden Skate

2015 Russian Nationals Mens SP

adelia

Record Breaker
I' happy for Pikteev, but Gachinsky and him has the same PCS? I think that's harsh on Artur.
Artur fell. But anyway, in the eyes of Rus Fed, they are about the same rank in the pecking order. Just my opinion.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
adelia wins the guessing contest. Nice call. Sigh.

PCS in the 9s. What a joke.

Not as much of a joke as Plushenko's 95 PCS for his hot mess of a FS last season. Not to mention his 100-point SP a few seasons ago in spite of a lutz error. :rolleye: It's Russian Nationals, and Kovtun skated clean with 2 quads. The judges still kept him under 100. Artur in any other competition would be under 80. Not sure what else you want.. Other than Kovtun to bomb his FS + Gachinski to win, which will not happen. I get that Kovtun is unlikeable but a clean skate with 2 quads at any Nationals will garner that score. Bear I'm mind 98 and 100 have been achieved with only 1 quad. Congrats to Kovtun for having an awesome SP as well as Menshov/Pitkeev/Voronov!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Artur fell. But anyway, in the eyes of Rus Fed, they are about the same rank in the pecking order. Just my opinion.

Agreed. Gachinski's performance was flat too and while Adian is junior ish he skated very well and has a strong base of skating. If anything, Artur is lucky to have PCS on par with Pitkeev given his major error.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Lol nothing justifies Kovtun's score.

Two quads. And the fact that its Russian Nationals, so PCS is bound to be higher than international.

Remember Plu scored over 100 with a lutz error and a far simpler program than Kovtun's current SP. Plu also scored 95 PCS in last year's hot mess of a FS. :laugh: :rolleye:

Like I said, it is Russian Nationals. It's a joke that Menshov got 41 PCS and that Voronov received 42 PCS. 45 PCS for a clean skate with 2 quads at Russian Nats makes sense.

Last edited:

Alba

Record Breaker

I see that, but I really don't think thay are in the same rank. I haven't seen them today but I know how they both skate, and their programs.

adelia

Record Breaker
I see that, but I really don't think thay are in the same rank. I haven't seen them today but I know how they both skate, and their programs.
Well, for what it's worth, I don't agree with Rus Fed's internal pecking order either. But from how everyone's PCS was scored today, they definitely followed that order. I believe the FS will be a bit more flexible however, if last year's competition is any indication.

Alba

Record Breaker
Well, for what it's worth, I don't agree with Rus Fed's internal pecking order either. But from how everyone's PCS was scored today, they definitely followed that order. I believe the FS will be a bit more flexible however, if last year's competition is any indication.

I guess they need to push the young guys. Especially if they have a high tech.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Two quads. And the fact that its Russian Nationals, so PCS is bound to be higher than international.

Remember Plu scored over 100 with a lutz error and a far simpler program than Kovtun's current SP. Plu also scored 95 PCS in last year's hot mess of a FS. :laugh: :rolleye:

Like I said, it is Russian Nationals. It's a joke that Menshov got 41 PCS and that Voronov received 42 PCS. 45 PCS for a clean skate with 2 quads at Russian Nats makes sense.

I am only talking about the scoring within russian nationals. It's silly kovtun Has such a lead over menshov and voronov. Kovtun has no special standing that justifies this. Unlike plushenko.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Can we leave the GS in-fighting until after the videos come out? :)

I'm surprised Kovtun skated his program cleanly. Since Voronov and Menshov made mistakes, I guess he deserves the lead? (Will need to see how disruptive Menshov's mistake was.) The downside is, with that massive lead, the competition could be almost over. But who knows, the men are unpredictable. :drama: He could experience a counter-TEB tomorrow.

A K Hall

Spectator
Has anyone of you actually seen Maxim's SP, or specified scores?? Because I did not find them anywhere, not even the judge's scores. It only says 98. 14, which is quite... unbelievable.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I am only talking about the scoring within russian nationals. It's silly kovtun Has such a lead over menshov and voronov. Kovtun has no special standing that justifies this. Unlike plushenko.

Voronov only has one quad so his BV is about 4-5 points lower than Kovtun.

Menshov has two quads but a touch down on his quad, which is an error that cost him 2-3 points, and his artistry/skating skills aren't better than Kovtun, not to mention he's never been a fave of the Fed so getting gipped isn't new.

Kovtun is obviously the federation's poster child, having won two GP events, even with Voronov beating him at the GPF, and IMO he's a better overall skater than Voronov/Menshov.

One more thing: there is no standing that Plushenko has earned that merits 95 PCS for that bad a freeskate (or 100 points for an SP with a flawed lutz, at that). It's asinine to even begin to try to justify that nonsense scoring - even in a Nationals context. I don't care who he is or how many wins he has, skaters' scores should be justified by their performance not their popularity. With Plu everyone laughs it off as him being a legend who can score whatever, with Kovtun people rake him over the coals.

98 points for two clean quads is fine - outside of Russia, it'd be 95. I get people hate Kovtun and have a soft spot for Menshov/Voronov but his lead over them is justifiable, given Menshov's 4S error, and Voronov's lack of a 2nd quad.

Let's not forget Hanyu scored 94 points at the GPF with a fall.

Last edited:

A K Hall

Spectator
Yuzuru is from another planet compared with these Russian guys who only can execute 2 quads at their very best, but nothing more, ever. As much I like Voronov.