State of Russian Ladies in skating: 2014-15 Season | Page 23 | Golden Skate

State of Russian Ladies in skating: 2014-15 Season

FSGMT

Record Breaker
Some quick recent news.

For Yulia the season is over. Despite rumors she stays with Tutberidze and will start the preparation for the new season.

Liza showed 3A. Still cannot claim stability. She plans to include it in a short program but not during Europe.

The fed says that the team for Europe will not change. This brings the question if the closed skate for Adelina announced earlier will take place. Anna is in for sure.

Radionova had 2 days off. Now business as usual. She works on her programs but has no plans for any changes - just polishing.
Thanks... I'm a bit surprised about Liza: since it was just a year ago when she kept bombing her SPs, I frankly expected a 3A attempt in the FS and a go-for-the-clean-skate strategy in the SP (maybe adding the 3Lz+3T if it's solid). This just makes it a lot more exciting, thoguh :popcorn:

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
The logic is that she has a very stable 3T-3T, a solid 3Lz. Adding 3A will make her SP an intimidating for competitors (at this stage Radionova) powerhouse. The direct quote is: "В короткой программе я делаю каскад из двух тройных тулупов и тройной лутц, и поскольку эти элементы даются мне не так тяжело, добавлять к ним тройной аксель более-менее получается. Это все реально, просто нужно немного времени на отработку". In SP I do a combination 3T-3T and 3Lz. As these jumps are not too difficult for me adding 3A to them goes more or less OK. This is all real I just need some time to build it up.

Last edited:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
In theory, it's possible for Ashley to win it all (a few months back, I would've said it's impossible, but then Yulia/Adelina were gone and GPF happened). But all the stars will have to align for it to happen: Completely clean performances from her, poor performances from Gracie/Anna, some doubled jumps from Liza and a few fluke falls from Elena... I think it's more realistic to root for Ashley getting a well-deserved medal, rather than outright winning.

I think Ashley has exceeded expectations - most laughed last year with the suggestion that she would ever win a GPF medal (or a World medal, which she definitely as a shot at). You never know... I mean, everyone expected Lip to clean up everything this year, and didn't even qualify for Worlds or medal at the GPF.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I think Ashley has exceeded expectations - most laughed last year with the suggestion that she would ever win a GPF medal (or a World medal, which she definitely as a shot at). You never know... I mean, everyone expected Lip to clean up everything this year, and didn't even qualify for Worlds or medal at the GPF.

Agreed. Ashley is definitely a fighter and a resilient one at that. As soon as people count her out she does something to change everyone's opinion of her. I would like to see her medal at worlds this year but, like someone said, in addition to her nailing everything, she'd likely need a little help from a few competitors.

My fingers are crossed for her.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Agreed. Ashley is definitely a fighter and a resilient one at that. As soon as people count her out she does something to change everyone's opinion of her. I would like to see her medal at worlds this year but, like someone said, in addition to her nailing everything, she'd likely need a little help from a few competitors.

My fingers are crossed for her.

I don't think she has to nail everything to medal. She has a PCS advantage going for her, being clearly one of the best artistically/maturity-wise. But yes, it will depend on if Gold/Pogorilaya show up in good form.

witcher

Match Penalty
The fed says that the team for Europe will not change. This brings the question if the closed skate for Adelina announced earlier will take place. Anna is in for sure.
Oh, so now after Eteri took the bait from CSKA, the whole mayhem already ended, they have finally spoken and made the right thing. Well played. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Adelina's coach Buyanova said that the injury still prevents her from jumping. Hence, at this stage it is impossible to even name the date of the closed skate not speaking about the worlds. Looks like this season is off for her same as for Yulia and the worlds team will be the same as the Europe's. The next year might be very interesting if Yulia and Adelina come back hungry for podiums.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I said it before Adelina is done.

Hopefully just for the season. I think she is one of those skaters who enjoys competing and rising to the moment. As long as she can regain her health I am confident she will want to get back out there and skate well.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
After the SP at the Europe one can safely say that the state of Russian ladies this season is quite good at least for the top team. They are all more or less satisfied now. May be Liza with Mishin are sort of defensive. They already said that it was their decision to play it safe. Lena admitted that she had some back issues but assured that they do not prevent her from performing at full capacity. I still think this is an alert and she and her coaches should be very careful.

No one doubts that currently there is a big gap between Russian ladies and everybody else in Europe. Recovering Kiira who occupies the forth place after the short has already admitted that she has "a lot of work to do to catch up with the Russians".

Something extraordinary should happen to deny the Russian sweep on Saturday. The next stop is Shanghai.

A strategically important event will take place next week: Russian junior nationals. Among participants: main podium contenders at the Junior worlds: Evgeniya Medvedeva and Serafima Sakhanovich. The likely third podium contender who will feel the pressure from Wakaba and Karen Chen: the last season JGPF winner Maria Sotskova. Although she lost the last year momentum due to injury she is still very promising: Sasha Proklova. Then there is a rising star who might be the main junior title contender next season: 13 year old Polina Tsyrskaya - another Eteri's student. The last but not least 2 brightest 12 year old stars: Anastasiya Gubanova and Liza Nugumanova. Liza just recently shocked the audience in Obersdorf.

Should the above mentioned 7 skaters participate in the current senior Europe any of them including the 12 year olds could get into top 10 easily. Hence, the competition is going to be very interesting. Alas, I have not heard of any live streams so far - sportbox will not bother. Hopefully there will be videos.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Something extraordinary should happen to deny the Russian sweep on Saturday. The next stop is Shanghai.
Don't say stuff like this. :slink: The last time I thought this was about Ilinykh/Zhiganshin's European podium chances, and look what happened...

Hopefully we'll get some videos from Junior Nationals. It'll be interesting to see whether Serafima could overtake Evgenia this time, or if Evgenia will solidify her status as the favourite going to Jr. Worlds. Also would love to see Liza Nugumanova. :love:

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Wild prediction: pogo implodes and one of the swedes gets on the podium.

I already made this general prediction before Europeans even began, in a roundabout way (didn't name names, as far as who will end up on the podium or who will implode, though)... :slink:

If anyone sneaks on the podium, it's Kiira.