Let's jump the gun! What improvements would you like to see next year | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Let's jump the gun! What improvements would you like to see next year

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Can I want Rohene to choreograph a pairs and dance team? I am not sure i care who, but I want to see what he could do with Pairs and Dance choreography!

andromache

Record Breaker
To try use Broadway songs that are less common in skating. Like from "Wicked," "Rent," "Cats," "The Lion King," "Hairspray," "Pippin," "A Chorus Line," etc....

I feel like "Defying Gravity" from Wicked could be especially effective for Ashley or even Gracie (to get Gracie out of those "ice princess" programs that just don't suit her.)

desertskates

Medalist
I think Gracie as a 40's pinup style girl would be very beleiveable! And as much as it's overdone, I think Ashley could be a very fierce Carmen!

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Liza: 3A, 3Lz-3T, two costumes that look very different from each other (but I guess I'm the one person who loves your arms :slink:)
Nam: Improve spins, add quad to SP.
Elena: Better landings on jumps, LP that suits her
Yulia: Mulan! Fighter spirit!
Mura: Please find better choreography and less cliche music
Voronov: Better music cuts
Javi & Yuzu: Consistency

Sui/Han: quad throw
Peng/Zhang: Jump consistency...
Ilinykh/Zhiganshin: Steadier lifts

Tessa & Scott: COME BACK!
Tatsuki Machida: COME BACK!

Everyone: Cut down on the butt spins. Seriously.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Max to keep Gladiator, because I really think this is his best program ever and another year's marination would make it even better! I think maybe something a bit more rock-n-roll for his SP?

I wish Josh could keep both his programs, but three years in a row of SL would be a bit much. So I hope that next year he goes for an (actually!) upbeat happy type option and of course more Jeff Buttle choreo!

I would also like to see Jason with a new costumer, or at least to sit down with them and discuss the elephant in the room - his terrible costumes.

anyanka

Record Breaker
To try use Broadway songs that are less common in skating. Like from "Wicked," "Rent," "Cats," "The Lion King," "Hairspray," "Pippin," "A Chorus Line," etc....

Yes to more of Lion King like Denney & Frazer. Hairspray can be loads of fun with 60s costumes. I like the idea of Rent ... but mashed up with La Boheme for the contrast. And A Chorus Line was already used very famously by Oksana Baiul in 1994. ;) Great choices!

I'm surprised no one has used Cats yet. "Memory" was made for a grand finale in figure skating. Although I recall Kavaguti / Smirnov trying it out and it was not met kindly?

It'd also be nice to see some Godspell, Dreamgirls and Into the Woods. Maybe the popularity of the new movie would stir some ideas? And why aren't more people using Mamma Mia / the ABBA catalogue, an obvious choice for skating?

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes to more of Lion King like Denney & Frazer. Hairspray can be loads of fun with 60s costumes. I like the idea of Rent ... but mashed up with La Boheme for the contrast. And A Chorus Line was already used very famously by Oksana Baiul in 1994. ;) Great choices!

I'm surprised no one has used Cats yet. "Memory" was made for a grand finale in figure skating. Although I recall Kavaguti / Smirnov trying it out and it was not met kindly?

It'd also be nice to see some Godspell, Dreamgirls and Into the Woods. Maybe the popularity of the new movie would stir some ideas? And why aren't more people using Mamma Mia / the ABBA catalogue, an obvious choice for skating?

I'm good at thinking of songs and placements of elements thought not thinking of choreography.

EXACTLY! Carmen, R&J, and POTO are not the only choices you have skaters! Got to think outside the box (or rink lol)!

Hairspray would be cool for ice dancing and omg, YES! 60's costumes! I think of CUTE costumes for ice dance couples!

For the Lion King, "He Lives in You," "Can You Feel the Love Tonight," and "Circle of Life" would be EPIC!

I kinda thought Dreamgirls and Mamma Mia also.

Skater need to maybe look on their iphones, ipods, or whatever they use to listen to music to get inspiration. Songs THEY like.

Skategmt

On the Ice
Polina - More mature packaging. No more "fairy" music, no immature costumes, better hairstyles to look more her age

Yulia - more confidence and mental strength

Hubell&Donohue - better confidence, more "elegant" programs, better matching costumes, and Hubell to lose the black tights.

Ashley- Have a consistent 3-3. Also, tone down the whole, "no one believes in me" diatribe. It makes me not want to root for her.

Samantha- more speed!

Max - Cut his hair! It looked much better in 2013 : )

Last edited:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Oh Goodie! Christmas comes early!

I'd like to see:

- Mirai with 3 x 3A and winning the US champion 2016 with a choreographed program by Adam Rippon.

- Adam... keep his curls (uh.. that is it!)

- Gracie skate to something created this decade. Skate to Taylor Swift with her blessing can add HUGE $$$ and :popcorn: for the NBC ratings. Think of added attention, talking point and thus raise some money for the sport in the US. The sport NEED HER!!!!

- Ashley having Kostner/Yuna/Mao trifecta like PCS and DESTROYS the RUSSIANS! Seriously, who else is left?!!!!

- US men become true worthy rivals to Prince Hanyu. (Preferably with their own Mascot so people can also ridicule without prejudice.) Seriously, Josh and Adam can be huge threat if they manage their quads and likely will go down well with International judges. Patrick has more than just Hanyu to handle... it will be a tremendously exciting season.

- Karen Chen, realise her potential (sames goes for Li Zijun) and continue to improve and experiment with different artistry. Manage her growth spurts well and grow a few more inches to add even more WOW factor to her already impressive presentation.

- Hanyu don't break up with his best friend due to ridiculous outside pressures/influences.

- Korpi manage a proper come back.

- Return of Julia skating to something death metal in emo goth costumes with full on make up and DESTROYs all other Russian divas.

- Battle of 3A for the mens: Hanyu, Han Yan, Josh, who can do it best!

Last edited:

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Skater need to maybe look on their iphones, ipods, or whatever they use to listen to music to get inspiration. Songs THEY like.

And remember that that version is not the version that exists or that they can skate to. Mariah Bell's Little Talks is a great example of doing a current song, in a different version.

I came across a Youtube channel that does a lot of modern songs in the style of past decades. I love the idea of a skater doing something like that.

Listen to the 1920s style Fancy Cover. Somehow the song still works and I love it! Not saying I love Fancy, or think this is what should be skated to (unless they really want to) but I think it does a great job of not sucking but still being very different from the original and still working.

Along those lines, I want to see a skater (or their choreographer) remix something themselves. This is a mashup for about 40 songs that I just love. I want to see something like that. Pick their favorite recent songs, and mix it into something fully their own that we have not heard before.

kinoriH

Final Flight
- Return of Julia skating to something death metal in emo goth costumes with full on make up and DESTROYs all other Russian divas.

LOL
I'd love to see her skating to Eminem (EX) too. lol he's her favorite artist.

caitie

Medalist
Enough Phantom of the Opera!! It has been DONE. It IS done. Full stop.

This so much! End the Phantom menace!

I'd like to see Gracie do more vibrant, fun programs too, as I think she really doesn't let her personality shine when she skates.

Remember how when she said she was going to do Sleeping Beauty she said she wanted to be the witch (but then came out with a pretty princess program in a lilac dress)? She should go for the witch thing. Do something dark and fierce. Or I can totally see her as a Hitchcock blonde -- like Grace Kelly in to Catch A Thief where she's all crazy like a fox and you aren't sure whether she's good or evil. She can channel her new BFF Taylor Swift in Blank Space. Just please Gracie do a program you don't look bored af doing!

louisa05

Final Flight
I want to see Gracie do a 1940s pinnup girl swing music number. I think her look would look really well as a 1940s pinnup. I also think that swing music might be a good balance of upbeat and fun and perky for her, but old enough and classic enough to be non-threatening and acceptable to Frank Carrol.

I really like this idea for Gracie. I think that her off ice fashion shows that this is an era she would enjoy personally and be able to relate to on a fashion level. I don't like all the stupid "she's strong and athletic not a pretty princess" talk because I think it reflects a generally misogynistic attitude that a young woman who looks too traditionally feminine (and even too conventionally attractive) is somehow weaker than one who is less so. Feminine does not equal weak. I also find Gracie, based on her off ice appearance, to be a bit girly. I don't think she would enjoy any push toward something that buries that part of her. The girl likes sparkle whether the critics of the fan forum world want her to or not. Your suggestion would allow her to retain that part of herself on the ice.

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
Soyoun - Work on....EVERYTHING!! Also, go train with a different coach in a different country. I know that Yuna is helping her out now and she's been a good mentor and such but I think Soyoun really needs to expand her horizons and fine-tune her own style. Not only that, she might get more training time.

Yuzuru - work on your posture and bubblewrap yourself.

Javi - less transitions and also bubblewrap yourself. Give us more Black Betty programs.

Sui/Han and Yu/Jin - work with David again (really been loving S/H's SP and both of Y/J's programs)

Mirai - skate with your heart and make every moment matter

Maxim - go skate with Misha or something. Get more upbeat programs

Takahiko - work with a Russian jumping coach so you can preserve your jumps. That is all.

Anna P. - Better posture and get a new dress designer (sorry not a fan of her dresses)

Nam - Speed, speed, Speeeeed!! And posture. Get better and spicier programs.

Gracie - skate to Taylor Swift or something. Show us your real you, Gracie.

Polina E. - NO MORE FAIRY PROGRAMS. You showed us light skating last year and you can do that again without the fairy schtick.

Kanako - It's so easy to say work on URs and etc. but I know that those cannot be fixed so easily. I guess work with what you have now? Showcase your artistry more and don't do any POTO programs.

Courtney H. - you're a power skater. Get dynamic programs. Work on stabilizing jumps because even though they're big, they're seriously uncontrolled.

Canadian ladies - go work with Krall or something. Huge jumps but very wild.

Last edited:

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
No more lyrics allowed for competitive programs!!
No arm flapping.
Adam, become National Champ!!
No tights over boots.
If you are going to do a spiral or charlotte, your free leg must be straight and high. Not bent.

Last edited:

Figure 8's

On the Ice
Gracie with more pizzas in her programs. Polina with more maturity in her programs and costumes. The Newbies who skate so fantastic are rewarded in their marks and rankings. Marai decides that going to College and getting a good education is more important than beating herself up in skating competitions.

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Gracie with more pizzas in her programs. Polina with more maturity in her programs and costumes. The Newbies who skate so fantastic are rewarded in their marks and rankings. Marai decides that going to College and getting a good education is more important than beating herself up in skating competitions.

:)