2015 Worlds Ladies Free Skate March 28 | Page 125 | Golden Skate

2015 Worlds Ladies Free Skate March 28

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Liza's SP was inspiring. Not only because of the perfect 3A. She projected so much confidence, she was so smooth. Don't know why but she was much more vulnerable during the FP. Hope it was just a momentary lapse of her self-esteem and that she came to stay at least until the Olympics.
Regarding Liza, I think she just isn't experienced with handling such a huge SP lead. She might've also had a slightly rough warm-up, from what I could tell (camera kept wandering to the crowd). She and Lena both popped jumps--IIRC, Lena popped the exact jump (3Lo) that she eventually popped in the LP. Must've been something up with the ice, along with nerves (and illness in Lena's case).

Btw, just for fun: Liza's total score from the jumps here was 48.26. Her skate from Cup of China, which most people praised, without any rumblings of being an "unworthy" win, scored 45.68 on the jumps. Why? Because her one mistake at CoC--doubling a lutz--was more costly than her two turn-outs here. Obviously, we have to account for the variation in judging panel, GOE, ect. but she appears to have received the proper deductions for her mistakes here, aside from one crazy Judge #2 who was thrown out anyway.

So in a sense, Liza is just playing the COP game--she's determined to rotate those jumps, because that gets the points. I do personally prefer watching her CoC skate, since I find the doubled lutz less disruptive than the turn-outs, but I can see why Liza went for the rotation. And she ultimately did land seven triples on one foot.

So Yun Park. I have a "grudge" against - I lost many points betting and betting on her during the GP prediction game. But seriously - she showed promise last year in Japan. And like Anna she just did not develop this season. Then the idea that she can be the next Olympic champion seems very unrealistic at this moment.
Yeah, same here. Lost a lot of points in the Predictions Game betting on her. :laugh: I think everyone was a little too quick to hype SoYoun, after her great LP and finish at Worlds last year. She has technique well tailored to COP--big jumps, no edge or rotation problems. But technique and potential are only half the equation. Time will tell if SoYoun becomes a steely competitor. Let's hold off the overhype but not write her off either. ;)

burntBREAD

Medalist
i thought the 3loop half loop, 3 salchow was a SEQ? dont see anyone doing 3lutz3toe and 3flip3toe in one fs any more... kostner did that in 2003

They took out the SEQ rule about half loop combos several seasons ago, it just counts as a regular three jump combo now. Doing a half loop-salchow combo is often worth more than another triple-triple and lets you avoid using one of your two repeats on a toe (which is the lowest triple base value).

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Finally catching up with the ladies. Liza was perfect, but she was good enough, only a couple of minor errors. Hail to the true Queen of the Ice!

And Gracie was massively impressive for me. Immense.

It's still disgraceful to me, though, looking at the strong, powerful, clean jumps these two ladies have, that someone who gets almost a full revolution on their toepick is the World silver medallist...

johnsmith72

On the Ice
Finally catching up with the ladies. Liza was perfect, but she was good enough, only a couple of minor errors. Hail to the true Queen of the Ice!

And Gracie was massively impressive for me. Immense.

It's still disgraceful to me, though, looking at the strong, powerful, clean jumps these two ladies have, that someone who gets almost a full revolution on their toepick is the World silver medallist...

Just watched the ladies free skate on NBC and I am also disappointed with the silver medalist. Gracie Gold really impressed me and looked amazing tonight and I was so underwhelmed with Satoko. Also really a sloppy world championships from a lot of the competitors.

Sophia_D

Rinkside
I think this bodes well for Gracie. It seems as though she's getting healthy again and she ended the season on a very high note. If she'd put together two good, clean skates, I think she would have contended for the silver, at the very least. I'm really happy that she skated so well.

I liked Johnny and Tara's commentary about how they want her to bring more of her personality to the ice. I hope she gets better choreography next season.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Liza deserved her win, but wow, her programs are the worst champion programs since Miki Ando in 2011.

peg

Medalist
I have a problem with that too. While I do love the quality in the other aspects of her skating, I don't think that her jumps were fairly marked.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
AnnaP get higher PCS than SoYoun?!:shrug:

That's the name of the game, don't you know it? Reputation. If only So Yun skated clean once this season and got into the final group. It holds for everyone in all disciplines since long time ago. So picking Anna who to my mind actually improved pcs wise as an example of the unclean judging is not convincing. If someone wants to overcome that in ISU he could start moving in that direction, say, random drawing for the groups both SP and FP. But it will further kill the sport for the viewers - not everyone can and want to watch all 5 hours.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
That's the name of the game, don't you know it? Reputation. If only So Yun skated clean once this season and got into the final group. It holds for everyone in all disciplines since long time ago. So picking Anna who to my mind actually improved pcs wise as an example of the unclean judging is not convincing. If someone wants to overcome that in ISU he could start moving in that direction, say, random drawing for the groups both SP and FP. But it will further kill the sport for the viewers - not everyone can and want to watch all 5 hours.

Ohhh pls what a lot of bollocks!!!!

HAHAHA how 'convenient' all of a sudden reputation matters above else regardless of how someone did on the day? ... says the country who keep prop up skaters with outrageous PCS inflation regardless of how they skate. 40 PCS for that short Kovtun? ..and of course there's Sochi, Sot's and Julia's outrageous PCS out of nowhere regardless of how they skated against those with actual 'reputation', I could go on. How about Russian teens ridiculous ascension without PCS precedence compare to the ladies of last quads, who had to work for many many years to establish and justify the PCS they have got.

If you are a country who leads the apparent rage against Patrick Chan for his PCS, then you should able to accept PCS is often hopelessly out of wack with reality and it is a legitimate complaint and flaw of the sport due to poor/biased judging. Patrick at least earned his reputation out right and often deserve the high PCS he has got, so much I can say for some.

Last edited:

Parsifal3363

On the Ice
I share Art & Sport’s sentiment. I thought that Polina had skated beautifully and was deserving of higher scores and better placements. For me, there is more artistry in any passing moment of her performances than in the whole of those placed over her. But I write as a fan, and others here would dismiss this as the sort of “gush” that should be in “Fan Fest.”

I think that most would agree, however, that had Polina received the same benefit of a doubt as other skaters did, she would have had those higher scores and better placements.

Why then wasn’t she scored as the others were? Is she being “deliberately” held down?

I don’t think so, or that there is any sort of conspiracy against her. In this, I agree with Sowcow. If that were true, it would suggest collusion on a scale that has been often speculated about here but never proven, when the plain fact is that she has gone before other judging panels in other situations this season and been disappointed as often as not.

What I think has been happening is that Polina simply hasn’t proven herself yet to the judges. The balletic lines and lyric flow which I find so entrancing seem almost irrelevant to them and will probably remain so, until they find in her the same technical excellence that has accounted for Liza’s spectacular rise.

As a practical matter, she must persuade them on their terms before they will accept her on hers.

However, I think that that is coming. The consistency which had been her hallmark came to the fore once more late in the season, when she skated cleanly in five of six programs at three major competitions. The “Fairy Dance” and flamenco programs of this season, even the costuming for them, were perfect for where she is now. Next season, she will be doing other things which reflect a deepening artistry and maturity.

When the judges learn that they can trust her and that her “vocabulary” in performance includes the same elements which they value, she will begin receiving the rewards she deserves. That they can and will was indicated by her championship at the Four Continents.

Those rewards could be immense.

In time, though, I think everyone who loves this sport, where the beautiful finds expression in the difficult, as Sandpiper would say, will understand that Polina brings qualities rare and unique to it, fully as much as Carolina did.

Last edited:

hohoho

On the Ice
We don't know how Kaetlyn going to be after such injury. And Daleman can recover again. Clean Daleman beat Osmond at SP in 2014 canadian championship

Gabby did not beat Osmond in SP of 2014 Canadian championship. She did beat Osmond in the SP at a Skate Canada Challenge event when Osmond was just back from hamstring injury

sk8hrd

Rinkside
Gabby did not beat Osmond in SP of 2014 Canadian championship. She did beat Osmond in the SP at a Skate Canada Challenge event when Osmond was just back from hamstring injury

Daleman did beat Osmond in the FS at Worlds last year.

sk8hrd

Rinkside
I feel really sorry for Daleman and my heart goes out to her. She was having a good first year as a Senior, winning a Senior B, having come 5th at Cup of China by 0.01 behind Edmunds. 6th at NHK, where she was facing a tough Japanese team and Gracie Gold. Then winning her Nationals and then placing 7th at 4CC (6th in the FS while skating in the 2nd group). To then experience a knee injury 2 or 3 weeks before Worlds must be devastating for her. She did look like she tried, but the interruption to her training must have been too much. I love this girl as she is a fierce competitor and I hope that this makes her work harder in the off season and she comes back even stronger.

Alba

Record Breaker
It's not like she was somehow robbed of getting a chance to go to Worlds- she was really falling apart performance-wise & having a lot of jump problems this season. I don't see why she'd be sitting at home, seething at Elena for her "poor" performance, thinking how she herself would have just flown up onto the podium & snatched another World medal. :scratch:

Not trying to put down Yulia, just pointing out it's not like she would have been an easy cinch for the podium at this point. Elena worked hard & deserved to medal in this competition.

I think you misunderstood the OP satine. :) He/She wasn't saying that Elena didn't deserve her place here, or that Yulia would've done better. He/She said that maybe Yulia watching the WC would feel better - considering her bad season - knowing that other Russian girls on top (Anna and Elena in this case) aren't infallible either.

I don't think that Yulia would feel better or worse tbh. You don't need to see a not so good performance in order to know that skaters aren't infallible, even the strongest ones. But that's what the OP was saying anyway.