Congratulations to Tanith Belbin & Charlie White! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Congratulations to Tanith Belbin & Charlie White!

Krunchii

Record Breaker
Aw congrats to Tanith and Charlie! They look amazing, love the bridesmaids' dresses idea!

Icey

Record Breaker
Exactly! I read the title for the thread and cringed at the author's choice of names for Tanith and Charlie. I doubt any woman in this day and age wants to be referred to as "Mrs. [husband's name]", let alone someone as well-known (within figure skating circles anyway) as Tanith. I have no idea whether or not she (or he) is planning to change her (or his) last name, but neither person is an appendage of the other.

Dear, you need to travel around the United States more if you think brides aren't taking their husband's last name in this day and age. Actually, you can just go on line and read some of the wedding write up's from various regional papers.

Glad to see the thread title changed - I am sure the original was well-meant, but it was rather old-fashioned.

Now, if one really wants to be old-fashioned, one congratulates the groom and wishes the bride best wishes or good luck.

I think the idea was that to "congratulate" the bride carried the connotation, well, she finally snared him. ;)

Dr. Jenn

Medalist
Dear, you need to travel around the United States more if you think brides aren't taking their husband's last name in this day and age. Actually, you can just go on line and read some of the wedding write up's from various regional papers.

I didn't mean that women aren't taking their husband's last name, although this practice has certainly been declining in recent years, both in the U.S. and in other countries. What I meant is that it is not appropriate to refer to a woman as "Mrs. [husband's first name] [husband's last name]" (e.g., "Mrs. Charlie White"). If Tanith indeed does change her last name, then "Mrs. Tanith White" would be appropriate, not "Mrs. Charlie White". Alternately, if Charlie were to change his last name, "Mr. Charlie Belbin" would be appropriate, not "Mr. Tanith Belbin".

I am glad to see that the thread title has been changed. Congratulations to Tanith and Charlie! :)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... What I meant is that it is not appropriate to refer to a woman as "Mrs. [husband's first name] [husband's last name]" (e.g., "Mrs. Charlie White"). If Tanith indeed does change her last name, then "Mrs. Tanith White" would be appropriate, not "Mrs. Charlie White". Alternately, if Charlie were to change his last name, "Mr. Charlie Belbin" would be appropriate, not "Mr. Tanith Belbin". ...

I don't claim to be up to date on etiquette of 2015.

But I am 99% sure that not so long ago, "Mrs. Tanith White" would have signified that Tanith is a divorcee who once had been married to a man by the name of White. Perhaps still true, depending on whom you ask.

Last edited:

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I got married in 1966. I changed my last name, but I cringed when someone referred to me as Mrs. (husband's first name) (husband's last name). I was willing to change my last name, but I hung on to my first name for dear life!

I also dropped my middle name and used my maiden name as a middle name instead. The passport people find it hard to spell, but it hasn't ever caused me a real problem.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Does the way we are calling them matter? Or it´s matter that we are happy for them?
Everyone wishes Tanith and Charlie well. Some of us were simply not thrilled with referring to Tanith, an accomplished woman in her own right, as Mrs. Charlie White.

I imagine that professionally she'll keep her name, or at least hyphenate.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
I don't claim to be up to date on etiquette of 2015.

But I am 99% sure that not so long ago, "Mrs. Tanith White" would have signified that Tanith is a divorcee who once had been married to a man by the name of White. Perhaps still true, depending on whom you ask.
Yes, this is correct. I know this from having edited newspaper "society" stories for many years. As a married woman, she could be Tanith Belbin, Tanith Belbin White, Tanith Belbin-White or Mrs. Charlie White. (It used to be automatically Mrs. Charlie White, but then papers started asking for the woman's choice, which added even more work to it.) But it would never be Mrs. Tanith White; that denotes divorced. If (heaven forbid) she were to become a widow, her name would still not be Mrs. Tanith White; she would retain the name used previously. As an additional detail: when both names are used (such as an engagement announcement of a child), the old form would have been Mr. and Mrs. Charlie White. These days, if married, the parents might instead use Charlie and Tanith White. If written as Charlie White and Tanith White, it would denote divorced. It gets confusing when there are different last names: Charlie White and Tanith Belbin, or Charlie White and Tanith Belbin-White, could mean either married or divorced.

Last edited:

noskates

Record Breaker
I'm sitting here laughing. Why is this even an issue? Must be a slow news day. Why does anyone CARE what Tanith calls herself? Has nothing whatsoever to do with figure skating.