Edmunds to debut 2015-16 season in Anaheim | Page 13 | Golden Skate

Edmunds to debut 2015-16 season in Anaheim

aromaticchicken

On the Ice
I wish people would stop picking on her.
Agree completely.

She's one of our brightest talents and youngest skaters. Did people pick on Michelle this much for showing up at worlds 1995 in a ponytail? Did they mock her or express disbelief at her attempts the overcome the perception she was juniorish and was indeed a senior lady?

Because every time I read a Polina thread it feels like that. (and before someone replies and says they are allowed to criticize .... Im not saying you're wrong or not allowed to criticize... But I'm just saying it comes off as putting way too much immediate expectations on a 16 year old skater who I think we all can agree has the potential to be a world champion and is working her damndest to get there.)

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
I agree with this. And not to mention that not everyone automatically associates the soundtrack with every movie they've ever watched. Sure, they might have watched GWTW the film, but it doesn't mean they will immediately recognize the music, especially since the music is not that distinctive or memorable IMO.

Not that memorable? :laugh: I am glad you stated in your opinion, because it couldn't be more wrong or ignorant! I am sorry but to blame the music for being 'boring' for a poorly choreographed AND interpreted program is beyond ridiculous. It is like saying Chaplin is boring because he only appear in black and white movies and is bit of a clown. :drama:

Gone with the wind might have lost the Oscar to The Wizard of Oz that year, but it is without a doubt one of the most well recognized, important and widely influential film sound tracks of all time. With just 4 notes, it is instantly recalls the nostalgia of this piece of Americana, the character of Scarlett O'Hara (probably the most well known female role of the golden age of cinema) that pretty much established and influenced all the music styles for film/television genre after it till this day. Think of the great soap opera like Dallas, Dynasty, North and South in the 80s, work of Johny Barry (Dances with Wolves), Alan Silvestri (Forrest Gump), Randy Edelman, James Horner's work describing similar period (Gettysburg, Glory), and pretty much all of John William's work adapting this 'simple' but 'unique' music motif to introduce setting, period, characters, themes early on then develop exploit more dramatic version of the same motif (Jurassic Park, ET, Jaws, Starwars, Back to the future, Indy, Lincoln etc) as the story progresses to heighten dramatics, layering and diverse emotions before leading to finale, much like how Tara's theme has been fully utilised to powerful effect in Gone with the wind. From innocence, optimism to famine, bottom of despair with desperation, hopeless with hope, then eventually settle on sweeping epic landscape of the story, history and character progression. It is as auditorily identifiable as a any still photographic image of Scarlett O'Hara, no less memorable than the William's 5 notes for Close Encounters, 2 notes for Jaws, motif for Indy/Starwars/Back to the future/pretty much all Steven Spielberg's films. The importance of the 'simple' motif is certainly nothing to be scoffed at and what makes music are easily memorable, emotional and instantly recognizable universally. Just as no doubt Max Steiner had been influenced by great romanticist composers before him, work of Wagner, Debussy and such. I am far from a Max Steiner fan, but I am certainly an avid film ost collector, and one of the most amusing thing I do whenever I listen to a piece of 'original' score is 'where have I heard' that one before. It is very easy to spot if the composer has been inspired/ripped off/influenced by others including their own previous work. Hans Zimmer, James Horner, John Williams has been particular guilty of this which is understandable consider the volume of work they churned out, but then they are no different than many great composers of the past era including Max Steiner who was the John Williams of the golden 40s Hollywood, and certainly GWTW is his Starwars.

Last edited:

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Agree completely.

She's one of our brightest talents and youngest skaters. Did people pick on Michelle this much for showing up at worlds 1995 in a ponytail? Did they mock her or express disbelief at her attempts the overcome the perception she was juniorish and was indeed a senior lady?

Because every time I read a Polina thread it feels like that. (and before someone replies and says they are allowed to criticize .... Im not saying you're wrong or not allowed to criticize... But I'm just saying it comes off as putting way too much immediate expectations on a 16 year old skater who I think we all can agree has the potential to be a world champion and is working her damndest to get there.)

And when people said she had a big mouth for putting off the Russians in a way, come on, when you were 16-17 I'm pretty sure you said some stuff and did stuff that you regret. Not necessarily bad, but still stuff you wish you did differently. I know I have at least 2 things from that period of time that I regret now.

And I'm pretty much the only one who loved her Tinkerbell program and costume thoroughly. Though the only think I didn't like was the metallic lavender undies. Could have been a pink that matched the dress.

And you don't have to interpret the music 100%. They're not supposed to be literature experts who all took advanced English classes in school.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I agree with this. And not to mention that not everyone automatically associates the soundtrack with every movie they've ever watched. Sure, they might have watched GWTW the film, but it doesn't mean they will immediately recognize the music, especially since the music is not that distinctive or memorable IMO.

I know it's your opinion and you're entitled to that, but sometimes opinions are just wrong. Gone with the Wind's theme is one of the most iconic movie soundtracks (from one of the most iconic movies). It would be like saying the Imperial March from Star Wars isn't memorable or distinctive. In fact, I would bet the GWTW theme is recognized by several people who haven't even seen the movie.

I agree that people need to stop picking on Polina. The season has barely started and she's delivered an excellent SP (IMO her best) and while I'm not a huge fan of her FS yet, I think there's potential -- kudos for choosing a classic piece of music that isn't a warhorse.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I've concluded that Polina Edmunds is the teenage girl version of Richard Sherman (cornerback for the Seattle Seahawks). Super confident, has no qualms of speaking about her goals and aspirations and sees herself as among the best.

Example here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mlnm3rfnww

Of course Polina does it in different way, but still the intent and message is very similar.

Like Richard Sherman, she's going to get a lot of flack for that; it comes to the territory. I think she can take it, so pay no mind, Polina fans!

AsadaFanBoy

Final Flight
And when people said she had a big mouth for putting off the Russians in a way, come on, when you were 16-17 I'm pretty sure you said some stuff and did stuff that you regret. Not necessarily bad, but still stuff you wish you did differently. I know I have at least 2 things from that period of time that I regret now.

And I'm pretty much the only one who loved her Tinkerbell program and costume thoroughly. Though the only think I didn't like was the metallic lavender undies. Could have been a pink that matched the dress.

And you don't have to interpret the music 100%. They're not supposed to be literature experts who all took advanced English classes in school.

I loved her program. Didn't love her costume.

Also i didn't even know she wore metallic lavender undies.

...Yuzuru Hanyu, Jeremy Abbott, Scott Moir, Ondrej Hotarek, Stephen Carriere...they're all welcome to show me their undies. Actually I prefer to see no undies.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I loved her program. Didn't love her costume.

Also i didn't even know she wore metallic lavender undies.

...Yuzuru Hanyu, Jeremy Abbott, Scott Moir, Ondrej Hotarek, Stephen Carriere...they're all welcome to show me their undies. Actually I prefer to see no undies.

Well not me. I'm more of a purist and don't want to see any undies. Now, if the dress was a leotard with skirt attached and the bottom part was more like boy-shorts spandex (Like the ones worn in volleyball and cheerleading), it would probably look better.

Plus also I watched her 4CC FP like at least 10 times. Sometimes (Which basically means all the time) while studying I like to watch YouTube videos on repeat or a playlist of videos I like to put together.

I LOVED the ombre pink effect on it. Such a HUGE eye-candy for me!

yyyskate

Record Breaker
Well not me. I'm more of a purist and don't want to see any undies. Now, if the dress was a leotard with skirt attached and the bottom part was more like boy-shorts spandex (Like the ones worn in volleyball and cheerleading), it would probably look better.

Plus also I watched her 4CC FP like at least 10 times. Sometimes (Which basically means all the time) while studying I like to watch YouTube videos on repeat or a playlist of videos I like to put together.

What about Carolina's Scheherezade undies :biggrin:

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria

I don't like it when you see the undies every time a skater skates backwards. This is actually the greatest problem I had with that pink dress, it was so hard to ignore when she skated backwards.

What about Carolina's Scheherezade undies :biggrin:
:thumbsup:

AsadaFanBoy

Final Flight
Let's continue this talk about undies. And who should and should not be wearing them. *cough* Yuzuru Hanyu report to me at once. Bring Stephen Carriere.

On another note, Polina was right to question the marks she was getting, especially when she was doing three triple lutzes in competitions. And when she was landing similar jump content and skating clean and still placing behind? :slink: This is a sport, and that isn't fair.

AsadaFanBoy

Final Flight
I personally would like the ladies to wear Granny panties.

I'm not joking. Cover everything.

No Shizuka shows.

witcher

Match Penalty
I've concluded that Polina Edmunds is the teenage girl version of Richard Sherman (cornerback for the Seattle Seahawks). Super confident, has no qualms of speaking about her goals and aspirations and sees herself as among the best.

Example here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mlnm3rfnww

Of course Polina does it in different way, but still the intent and message is very similar.

Like Richard Sherman, she's going to get a lot of flack for that; it comes to the territory. I think she can take it, so pay no mind, Polina fans!
That's a very, very good comparison. :yes:
Unfortunately for Polina, only in personality department, because Sherman is widely regarded as the best player in the world at his position, plus he has rings to back his big mouth up:

Super Bowl Champion (XLVIII) ≈ World Championship
2× Pro Bowl (2013, 2014) ≈ Grand Prix Final

Last edited:

shine

Record Breaker
Not that memorable? :laugh: I am glad you stated in your opinion, because it couldn't be more wrong or ignorant! I am sorry but to blame the music for being 'boring' for a poorly choreographed AND interpreted program is beyond ridiculous. It is like saying Chaplin is boring because he only appear in black and white movies and is bit of a clown. :drama:
Ignorant, or I just have better taste in music than you?

I know it's your opinion and you're entitled to that, but sometimes opinions are just wrong. Gone with the Wind's theme is one of the most iconic movie soundtracks (from one of the most iconic movies). It would be like saying the Imperial March from Star Wars isn't memorable or distinctive. In fact, I would bet the GWTW theme is recognized by several people who haven't even seen the movie.

I agree that people need to stop picking on Polina. The season has barely started and she's delivered an excellent SP (IMO her best) and while I'm not a huge fan of her FS yet, I think there's potential -- kudos for choosing a classic piece of music that isn't a warhorse.
What exactly is wrong? The fact that I said the GWTW soundtrack is not that recognizable? When I said the GWTW soundtrack is unmemorable/non-distinctive, I wasn't talking about what the general public feels toward it--they may or may not recognize it, I don't think there's an easy way to find out either way--I was referring to myself, and the possibility that some others may share the same feeling. I'll put this in another way - the music may be recognizable to many simply because it came from a famous movie, but does that necessarily make the music a memorable/special composition on its own? I don't think so. How recognizable the music is to the general public has never factored into how I perceive or judge a skating program. In my post earlier I said I want Polina to change the program because I don't like the music - and frankly, I could care less whether the music is widely recognized, or whether it comes from this legendary movie.

Last edited:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Ignorant, or I just have better taste in music than you?

What exactly is wrong? The fact that I said the GWTW soundtrack is not that recognizable? When I said the GWTW soundtrack is unmemorable/non-distinctive, I wasn't talking about what the general public feels toward it--they may or may not recognize it, I don't think there's an easy way to find out either way--I was referring to myself, and the possibility that some others may share the same feeling. I'll put this in another way - the music may be recognizable to many simply because it came from a famous movie, but does that necessarily make the music a memorable/special composition on its own? I don't think so. How recognizable the music is to the general public has never factored into how I perceive or judge a skating program. In my post earlier I said I want Polina to change the program because I don't like the music - and frankly, I could care less whether the music is widely recognized, or whether it comes from this legendary movie.

:rolleye: :laugh2:

Parsifal3363

On the Ice
I don’t think Polina will make anyone forget Vivian Leigh in her free skate, but she must make them remember Polina Edmunds.

And I believe that she will. Her Scarlett O’Hara will be the impression of a romantically-minded young woman, in a program filled with lovely touches that play to her great strength as a lyrical skater. The jumps when they’re added will certainly heighten the drama of the presentation. Even so, she was marvelous at Glacier Falls in providing us with what amounted to a preview of the completed program.

As to the music, however, I’m afraid that shine may have a point. Max Steiner’s “Tara” theme, which is heard over the main title and end credits of "Gone With the Wind" and from time to time throughout the film, is simply one of the great pieces of music composed for the movies. It is lush, sweeping, utterly romantic, and more than a little nostalgic. And it is instantly identifiable.

Most of the rest of Steiner’s score, however, is in the nature of incidental music. It was intended to underscore scenes in the film and not to be heard apart from those scenes. When it is taken out of that context, it must be used carefully if it is to be appreciated. Even then, it may not be particularly distinctive or memorable as music in itself.

For example, Eric Wolfgang Korngold composed many memorable scores during his sojourn in Hollywood, such as the ones for “Adventures of Robin Hood,” “King’s Row,” “Anthony Adverse,” and “The Seahawk.” Just the same, he assigned an opus number to only one of his Hollywood compositions, the tone poem, “Tomorrow,” from his score for “The Constant Nymph.” This was perhaps his favorite score of all, so much so that he also specially composed the music for the trailer advertising the film. This was extraordinary, since the sound track for a trailer would almost always be just a cut and paste job from a film. But the score was a favorite of his and he didn’t want any of it taken out of context, even for a trailer.

Polina’s program begins well, with a cut referring to the “Tara” theme, but in a soft and almost waltz-like version, as it is in the overture that was prepared for the roadshow version of “Gone With the Wind.” The second section, however, is more in the nature of incidental music, pleasant but not particularly memorable. Unfortunately, it is the longest piece in the program and seems to unbalance the rest. It has a place, as the quiet section of the program, but I think that the pace and drama of the program as a whole would be greatly enhanced if it was pared down and the end section given to a grander and more sweeping restatement of the “Tara” theme. Then the uncertainty and suspense raised by the “Sherman!” theme of the third section would be triumphantly resolved in glorious fashion, instead of the “Tara” theme being relegated to almost an afterthought.

The one enduring love of Scarlett’s life in the movie is not any particular person, but Tara. I think that Polina’s excellent people will come to terms with this from a musical and choreographic standpoint, and when they do, the real beauty of the music will be revealed.

It may even win new converts.

Last edited:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Parisifal3363 :thumbsup:

I'm not sure what the big deal is in this thread. Polina has made her choices and stated her intentions. I vote we all relax and just wait and see what she can do with them before we start putting each other into chokeholds.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I'm not sure what the big deal is in this thread. Polina has made her choices and stated her intentions. I vote we all relax and just wait and see what she can do with them before we start putting each other into chokeholds.

Exactly! And this is only her 2ND season doing full-season seniors mind you. Plus it's her decision, not ours on what her music is unless she asked for suggestions.

She's only 17. Not an adult yet. And sometimes I wonder why some of you are picking on a teenager...

bramweld

Record Breaker

This off season is beginning to take a toll. Let's call a timeout till we see the finished product from Polina. Hopefully then the riches of indulging in everyone's material will prevent us from having an existential crisis.

Last edited:

slider11

Medalist
Agreed! My goodness, I hope for Polina that she is inspired by all this passion and drama! Some people like the music, some don't. Now it's Polina's job to impress the judges and maybe the audience.