Edmunds to debut 2015-16 season in Anaheim | Page 14 | Golden Skate

Edmunds to debut 2015-16 season in Anaheim

stella luna

Final Flight
You wanna talk Scarlett? Sasha Cohen would have made a perfect one.

I actually like the free skate. I just wish she didn't say in an interview that she was interpreting Scarlett O'Hara, because there is nothing of Scarlett in that, nor did I even see the evolving of a young girl to a woman which she described as her program. It's nice music, she skated nicely, and that dress is beautiful and really shows off her lines.

I think the first couple of pops were unintentional, and then she just gave up and intentionally singled everything else. Popping to singles messes up the timing of the program, where at least doubles gives you close to the timing of a triple. Oh well, her skating looks improved, but I don't think she packs the "pow" of Gracie or Ashley.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I have seen the GWTW movie in about middle fifties in my youth and afterwards a few times on TV. I consider it a fantastic movie and loved the story. I have to admit that the music did not get my attention that much then or even later on tv, since the movie was so highly interesting. While watching a boring movie, I notice the music much, much better :laugh2:.

Last edited:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Max Steiner’s “Tara” theme, which is heard over the main title and end credits of "Gone With the Wind" and from time to time throughout the film, is simply one of the great pieces of music composed for the movies. It is lush, sweeping, utterly romantic, and more than a little nostalgic. And it is instantly identifiable.

Most of the rest of Steiner’s score, however, is in the nature of incidental music. It was intended to underscore scenes in the film and not to be heard apart from those scenes. When it is taken out of that context, it must be used carefully if it is to be appreciated. Even then, it may not be particularly distinctive or memorable as music in itself.

Agree with the your first paragraph entirely, but that is not Shine's point.

It is funny to find myself embroiled in this 'whatever this is' having to defend the music integrity of GWTW original score as the none American but anyways.... The film is 4 hours long!! Although quantity is not always quality, but it is not at all that different from 90 - 95% of Prokofiev's Romeo Juliet, Puccini's Turadot, Rossini's Barber of Seville, Swanlake, Madam butterfly, West side story, Wizard of Oz, Schindler's list etc are essentially fillers, as well as most of great song these days are not certainly not defined by 90% of the less well known choruses!! I mean there's nitpicking and finding poor excuses to blame for a poor program - but boring, unmemorable, unrecognizable should not belong in the same sentence as GWTW. It is why it is important to have good creative direction and well identified concept when constructing a program. This include music edit and assess the capability of the performer. Choice alone is not good enough.

From Polina's press conference boldly proclaiming she is going to be Scarlett O'Hara to her actual presentation where she apparently 'decided' to single most of her jumps :rolleye: in her first competition of the season (talk about having respect to yourself, your sport and other competitors), it seems her team are over promising, over thinking, over ambitious and rather arrogant with their strategy. It might be wise to simplify and be less ambitious in scale. Polina is not that sophisticated or mature of a skater yet to attempt what they are seeking. Why do an all out adaptation/interpretation and announce she is going to be Scarlett O'Hara, when she can simply skate as herself doing a modern day 'homage'. Leave the adaptation version for 2 or 3 years later when they are ready. Keep things simple and elegant. She can even keep the modern day sparkly costume like some sort of Carnegie Hall recital frock. They should have just focused on Tara's theme only and focus on delivering nostalgia/memory romanticism. Consider use this version by John Williams and Perlman instead of butcher up the score can only help.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOJUJ4Jzakk

Last edited:

aromaticchicken

On the Ice
From Polina's press conference boldly proclaiming she is going to be Scarlett O'Hara to her actual presentation where she apparently 'decided' to single most of her jumps :rolleye: in her first competition of the season (talk about having respect to yourself, your sport and other competitors), it seems her team are over promising, over thinking, over ambitious and rather arrogant with their strategy. It might be wise to simplify and be less ambitious in scale.

I think the point of singling jumps at a very preliminary summer competition (where she just learned both programs within the past months, including vastly improving her flip edge!!) IS to, as you say, "simplify and be less ambitious in scale."

She showed plenty of preparation and readiness in a literally perfect short program. If she felt she wanted to pop the long program in order to practice performing and keeping the integrity of the program intact, I respect that.

Unless you are also one of those people who believes Jason is a total embarrassment to our country and not acting like a national champion for showing up to Broadmoor and Glacier Falls doing doubles for his masterpiece of a long while he's still learning a ridiculously difficult program? :rolleye:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Unless you are also one of those people who believes Jason is a total embarrassment to our country and not acting like a national champion for showing up to Broadmoor and Glacier Falls doing doubles for his masterpiece of a long while he's still learning a ridiculously difficult program? :rolleye:

Well... one thing doesn't have to do with another, but since you brought it up! I believe Jason has proven more than enough what I've always thought about him. He has a great team, great FS program this year. Great federation support with high PCS holding him up. The rest is up to him to deliver up to the hype. It is his 3rd year... he should be maturing and no longer be getting the benefit of doubt Junior skaters enjoys to justify the hype. Right now and as consistently in the past 3 years, I am more excited by his team mates.

aromaticchicken

On the Ice
Well... one thing doesn't have to do with another, but since you brought it up! I believe Jason has proven more than enough what I've always thought about him. He has a great team, great FS program this year. Great federation support with high PCS holding him up. The rest is up to him to deliver up to the hype. It is his 3rd year... he should be maturing and no longer be getting the benefit of doubt Junior skaters enjoys to justify the hype. Right now and as consistently in the past 3 years, I am more excited by his team mates.
Well, but I believe Polina has proven too! A silver us medal, world and Olympic team, and 4cc title... What more do people expect from a 16 year old?!

And anyway, at glacier falls her short program was literally perfect. Like national champion quality. She did not need to prove anything in the long - - I mean, Karen, Ricky, and amber all withdrew from the long, and in many competitions in the summer many skaters only do the sp.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
After reading all those posts I ask myself: Is it a problem if the judges didn't watch the movie GWTW? Will it be an advantage for Polina if they haven't watched it or not? :biggrin:

shine

Record Breaker
Agree with the your first paragraph entirely, but that is not Shine's point.
So what exactly IS my point? I think I might have missed the part when you decided it for me.

But I think our argument should end when you start comparing the GWTW soundtrack to Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet. :laugh:

Last edited:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
So what exactly IS my point? I think I might have missed the part when you decided it for me.

But I think our argument should end when you start comparing the GWTW soundtrack to Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet. :laugh:

Heh.. how about compare Polina's GWTW To Alaine Chatrand's version?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3...ladies-free-skate-nebelhorn-trophy-2015_sport

IMO a superior musically edited program with the right intricate build up that fully utilized Tara's theme in different shades, textures right till the grand finale. It covers the essences of GWTW well, rather than being far too literal.

The music edit sounds like an integration of various version/themes of GWTW including main Tara's theme by John Williams / Perlman version I suggested in post #263. Charterand has better choreographed and interpreted version too. She really matured this year, the simple scarlet dress is a nice touch acknowledging Scarlett O'Hara. That is all you need.

Last edited: