Edmunds to debut 2015-16 season in Anaheim | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Edmunds to debut 2015-16 season in Anaheim

mrrice

Record Breaker
She said 5'7 according to the article where she talks about her programs for this season.

Still almost 6' with her skates... :eek:

Well, that is amazing. She is really quite statuesque. She has so much potential and I hope she can hold it together and have a great season.

humbaba

Final Flight
After all the online pearl clutching I was surprised when I watched the complete video of Polina's FS. She seems to have intentionally singled the jumps. She didn't look injured or upset. Her coach and choreographer were smiling and relaxed as she came of the ice. Her explanation that she skated the program as planned seems at least as likely an explanation as any other. As to why team Polina would choose that approach, we can only speculate.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
After all the online pearl clutching I was surprised when I watched the complete video of Polina's FS. She seems to have intentionally singled the jumps. She didn't look injured or upset. Her coach and choreographer were smiling and relaxed as she came of the ice. Her explanation that she skated the program as planned seems at least as likely an explanation as any other. As to why team Polina would choose that approach, we can only speculate.
I agree and it is a beautiful FS, she's going for a little more depth and I like that. But I always liked her programs. I think that she wasn't 100% fit that day or that she focused more on the SP.
And I like the dress, it's romantic and that fits the music. The obvious choice would be a red dress and maybe they wanted something a little different.

yyyskate

Record Breaker
from IN video, I noticed there is a sparkly purple cardigan kinda small top, she took off before she starts. maybe it is a costuming idea. kinda like Julia's last season one of her R&J dresses.
Either way, I don't like it. I wish she could get some inspiration from one of those famous dresses from the movie.

Barb

Record Breaker
from IN video, I noticed there is a sparkly purple cardigan kinda small top, she took off before she starts. maybe it is a costuming idea. kinda like Julia's last season one of her R&J dresses.
Either way, I don't like it. I wish she could get some inspiration from one of those famous dresses from the movie.

I don´t think she buy that dress for this program.

stella luna

Final Flight

Seems like it would be hard to skate in a hoop skirt. :)

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I actually like the free skate. I just wish she didn't say in an interview that she was interpreting Scarlett O'Hara, because there is nothing of Scarlett in that, nor did I even see the evolving of a young girl to a woman which she described as her program. It's nice music, she skated nicely, and that dress is beautiful and really shows off her lines.

I think the first couple of pops were unintentional, and then she just gave up and intentionally singled everything else. Popping to singles messes up the timing of the program, where at least doubles gives you close to the timing of a triple. Oh well, her skating looks improved, but I don't think she packs the "pow" of Gracie or Ashley.

witcher

Match Penalty
I actually like the free skate. I just wish she didn't say in an interview that she was interpreting Scarlett O'Hara, because there is nothing of Scarlett in that, nor did I even see the evolving of a young girl to a woman which she described as her program. It's nice music, she skated nicely, and that dress is beautiful and really shows off her lines.
Did you expect less from her? Her flip is perfect, she goes to Worlds to win it - why wouldn't she impersonate the most iconic film character of all times?
She knows better. :rolleye::sarcasm:

shine

Record Breaker
Did you expect less from her? Her flip is perfect, she goes to Worlds to win it - why wouldn't she impersonate the most iconic film character of all times?
And good for her for saying all that and not whatever you think is appropriate for her to say: "I'm going to skate to the Gone With The Wind soundtrack but only God knows why. Cuz I'm definitely not good enough for playing that most iconic role." "I came to compete at Worlds, but I definitely have no intention of winning it." Right, that would have made much more sense :sarcasm:

Last edited:

witcher

Match Penalty
And good for her for saying all that and not whatever you think is appropriate for her to say: "I'm going to skate to the Gone With The Wind soundtrack but only God knows why. Cuz I'm definitely not good enough for playing that most iconic role." "I came to compete at Worlds, but I definitely have no intention of winning it." Right, that would have made much more sense :sarcasm:
You know, I like to read or listen to Russian ladies' interviews - Lipnitskaya before Nats: "I'd like to get into 6 and make a team", Medveveva before Nats: "my goal is top three", Sotnikova now: "my goal is Nats, then if it's possible Euros and Worlds", etc..
And these are highly decorated skaters: Olympic, Euro, GP, JGP, JW champions - very competitive athletes with big ambitions and fighting spirit. They just have that sense of reality and modesty, that carried them to where they are now.

Last edited:

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
You know, I like to read or listen to Russian ladies' interviews - Lipnitskaya before Nats: "I'd like to get into 6 and make a team", Medveveva before Nats: "my goal is top three", Sotnikova now: "my goal is Nats, then if it's possible Euros and Worlds", etc..
And these are highly decorated skaters: Olympic, Euro, GP, JGP, JW champions - very competitive athletes with big ambitions and fighting spirit. They just have that sense of reality and modesty, that carried them to where they are now.
Modesty can be a defence to not raise expectations and to lower the pressure. Polina seems to be the kind of person who needs pressure. And I expect the 4CC champion to go to Worlds to win it. Satoko came in second after all, at 4CC and at Worlds.
And Polina's flip looked great in Anaheim. I believe her when she says that she learned the flip correctly and thought that she always did it right. Great athletes shouldn't question themselves too much when they're competing. The off-season is for fixing problems and she's obviously trying to do just that.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
[/I]I don't know if you know this but Scarlett in Italy was called and is known as Rossella O'Hara. :biggrin:

I didn't know this. ROTFL. (Though I assume Rossella is a literal translation for the color). But what, IMO, is much worse is that Scarlett was originally named Pansy O'Hara in Margaret Mitchell's first draft of Gone With the Wind. (Can you imagine calling Scarlett a pansy? What a nightmare). Thank the powers that be for Mitchell's editor!

russianbratz

Match Penalty
I don't think it really matters what she said in an interview. Figure skating programs are going to be viewed in a vacuum by most audiences. A lot of people watching won't even know where her music came from, let alone the particular character from the film the music came from. To me, its more about the quality of the performance itself. Polina's been getting pretty rough treatment in the PCS department, so tackling a program in this way is exactly what she needs to do.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
A lot of people watching won't even know where her music came from, let alone the particular character from the film the music came from.

They will know exactly where her music came from and who the character is. An American figure skating audience will know. They will know at Nationals. They will know at Worlds. And a Skate Canada audience will know. I was in Kelowna last year, and no one had any difficulty identifying E&A's music. I can't speak to an audience at Cup of Russia or 4CC's. But GONE WITH THE WIND is about as recognizable a film soundtrack in North America as any human being could possibly select. It would certainly not be a stretch to proclaim Scarlett O'Hara as the most recognized character in film. Kids & teens might not recognize these yet, but North American skating audiences are much older and the members have had plenty of time to become acquainted with the most famous film of all time.

Personally I think Polina's GWTW program has the potential to be my favorite one thus far. But the bar is very, very low to achieve that honor.