2015 Ondrej Nepela Trophy Men SP and FS | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2015 Ondrej Nepela Trophy Men SP and FS

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
And the gold medal for most boring music of the season has been torched down for Adian. Sorry, not sorry.

I think Jason's was a trifle more boring, but not by much. Still, Adian is interesting to watch regardless.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Jason. :love: That program was so...so... *happy sigh*

Damn, I will be on my feet in Boston for this no matter what happens with the jumps.

Really liked all three Russians. Kolyada the best, but I hope they don't go rushing him too hard, it was a bad break of his ankle, don't go crazy guys.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't think artistry is only slow, boring music. I loved the artistry, nuance and sophistication of "Juke" for example, though many disagreed with me. So rather than mention another Russian name, I will just say Adian is my fav of the Russian men so far. The others in this competition are not far behind.

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
I think Jason's was a trifle more boring, but not by much. Still, Adian is interesting to watch regardless.
I agree Jason's music is boring too. But you guess why I chose Adian's music?

Cello is the instrument that sounds the most familiar to human's voice, especially for lullaby.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
And the gold medal for most boring music of the season has been torched down for Adian. Sorry, not sorry.

WTH. Ennio Morricone's music is never boring, but it is often over used and contrively interpreted.

Typically the lazy way to interpret is to only pick the peaceful serene bit and let it be part of the 'beautiful impressions' of the presentation without acknowledge the source of the music. Typically use music nothing more than a backdrop to advertise yourself, sustain a feeling like in a commercial without context. For the beauty and peaceful serenity to work however, where there is light, there must be a a darkness. The film is actually quite dark and somber. It is that aspect that is often left out from most adaptations (too much work). I like this version of the program because despite its youthful skater, he didn't shy away from the challenge and take the easy way out (COP makes this easy and convenient to do so, as long as you hit the elements). He at least acknowledged period, the source, the jesuit setting, and included the South American tribal aspect to the story to the music edit, and with it, various challenges to interpret and deliver the different facets of emotions. He has told the story through his performance rather than just let the beautiful music wash over like some backdrop for minimum effort, maximum scoring. I thought his costume is good and appropriate, best out of the final flight of men.

IMO there are no best / legit music if the skate can't interpret it properly and thoughtfully. Just as there are no boring / bad music, if the skaters can make the program work and for it to have purpose.

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
WTH. Ennio Morricone's music is never boring, but it is often over used and contrively interpreted.

Typically the lazy way to interpret is to only pick the peaceful serene bit and let it be part of the 'beautiful impressions' of the presentation without acknowledge the source of the music. Typically use music nothing more than a backdrop to advertise yourself, sustain a feeling like in a commercial without context. For the beauty and peaceful serenity to work, for there is light, there must be a a darker side to it and the film is actually quite dark and sombre. I like this verion of the program despite its youthful skater, didn't take the easy way out and actually at least acknowledged period, the source, the jesuit setting, and included the South American tribal aspect to the story to the music edit. He has told the story through his performance rather than takes things easy, and just let the beautiful music be a backdrop to perform the element for minimum effort, maximum scoring. I thought his costume is good and appropriate, best out of the final flight of men.

IMO there are no best / legit music if the skate can't interpret it properly and thoughtfully. Just as there are no boring / bad music, if the skaters can make the program work and for it to have purpose.
Me and my friends watch this together, we all like Adian and this is our reaction: "I almost fell asleep."

Sorrento

Record Breaker
I did not like Brown's program at all, it was too much for me honestly. Too much of the foot thrown up in the air, it felt uncomfortable to watch. My opinion, of course. And the costume lookes strange to me too.
I think it's the first time I actually like Adian's program and the way he skated it, he needs to progress though and land his jumps properly otherwise I don't see him in the big game.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I like Adian so much. I'm glad others are starting to appreciate him too :thumbsup: He's not the greatest in any one aspect but just really solid all around. If he could only go clean in a few events I think he'd become a much bigger factor.

Icey

Record Breaker
I did not like Brown's program at all, it was too much for me honestly. Too much of the foot thrown up in the air, it felt uncomfortable to watch. My opinion, of course. And the costume lookes strange to me too.
I think it's the first time I actually like Adian's program and the way he skated it, he needs to progress though and land his jumps properly otherwise I don't see him in the big game.

Yes, I said above too many leg fans. He needs to diminish the show moves in his competitive programs.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The folks who don't like leg fans, now you know how I feel watching ladies do I-spins. Hate hate hate; makes me super uncomfortable. Now I know what word to use for it!:agree: