2015 Finlandia Trophy Ice Dance SD and FD | Page 18 | Golden Skate

2015 Finlandia Trophy Ice Dance SD and FD

You have to give Igor credit for getting his teams to competitions with the tech component understood, and the dancers performing them at the best level of skill they can.

For example, Chock & Bates and Tobias & Tkachenko and Kavita Lorenz & Panagiotis (Joti) Polizoakis.

The last two couples are first year teams. Even C&B have not been together all that long for a dance team.

Good job Igor!

I concur! I hope some of Igor's juniors stick together and with him into seniors. I'm very interested to see what he could do with a team that is already a working unit; and that he has had the ability to train technically from their more formative years. Would there be an expansion in the look and diverse choreography of this team's programs? If so, could be exciting!

Debs122

Rinkside
I must say I prefer Nicole Orford and Asher Hill's FD to Theory of Everything over H/B's program. W/P's FD was underwhelming, but let's see how it progresses over the season.

Last edited:

bramweld

Record Breaker
Taking a second look at W/P I can see the dance has potential, to my untrained eye it looks like a good mesh of things they've done before with a hint of something new. Considering how long we've gotten to know them, probably this is something that couldn't be avoided. Maybe it will grab me more as the season progresses. What surprises me is how much more competitive a dance this looks compared to what was delivered to the Shibs. No, nobody should be in a rush to head to Ms. Zueva, she plays favourites and it shows.

Astrid56

Final Flight
Nothing wrong with W/P's FD. They simply have to skate it smoothly and flawlessly. It is evident they are still trying to be comfortable with the program. Somehow, the performance lacks 'soul' ... and 'bravura'. They need to be committed to the concept/inspiration [program] to inject the right spirit. I don't think a coaching change is necessary. Look, the 2014 World Champions _ C/L tried to do that by switching to Zueva and the result was disastrous. Anyway, I love W/P music and if they can skate it with bone-deep commitment, the desired artistry and lyricism will follow. C/B have a much more difficult music to skate to - Rachmaninoff's Concerto 2 - one reason I guess that ice-dancers have avoided using this piece _ difficult and varying rhythms/patterns. So far, the FDs that stand out are C/B and C/L.

Last edited:

tulosai

Record Breaker
You have to give Igor credit for getting his teams to competitions with the tech component understood, and the dancers performing them at the best level of skill they can.

For example, Chock & Bates and Tobias & Tkachenko and Kavita Lorenz & Panagiotis (Joti) Polizoakis.

The last two couples are first year teams. Even C&B have not been together all that long for a dance team.

Good job Igor!

:cheer:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
we are on the same page... in my field we do usually train with one person but regularly we consult other masters to get another opinion... that may be enough in my opinion to bring some fresh air into WP... In any case, let's see how the season unfolds... I think we are all so excited with its start that we forget how skaters are aiming to peak in March or so... it's a long way to go and I agree with juliajk that they have very difficult programs... things can only get better!
I guess I shouldn't have said I wasn't sure if a new set of eyes would be of benefit because that isn't what I quite meant and I agree with you. In general, I agree. A new set of eyes usually, at minimum, leads to a new approach to things that can potentially freshen things up. I more so meant that I don't know who those eyes would belong to given the team dispersement of the current field. It'd be exciting if K/C could pull in another younger less established coach who could lend to this.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It is necessary to rewatch the programs to avoid being over affected by and focussing too much on the mistakes to appreciate whether or not the " choreographic bones" of the program are good.

Last edited:

chameleon

On the Ice
W/P's FD this year seems like a retread of last year's, but drearier. H/B's FD also seems like a repeat of R&J, but less effective. I was disappointed in both.

To me, C/B, G/P, C/L, B/S, and I/Z have the best set of programs this season, so far. I think Worlds will be anyone's game this season.

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
Yes I know that it's my opinion. Don't take it personal, a lot of people like them but I'm not one of them. I don't like them. That's what being a skating fan is all about. What you think is good another person might not. So deal.
I know that, and I am not taking it personally. While I like W/P, I am not such an uber of them. It's just that when you write something that is your opinion in bolded letters and without any "imho" or "to me", you create an impression that you indeed think that what you wrote is a fact.

What surprises me is how much more competitive a dance this looks compared to what was delivered to the Shibs. No, nobody should be in a rush to head to Ms. Zueva, she plays favourites and it shows.
And what has that to do with Zueva? Weaver/Poje are coached by Krylova and Camerlengo. The actual connection is that both FDs are choreographed by Tchernyshev.

Look, the 2014 World Champions _ C/L tried to do that by switching to Zueva and the result was disastrous.
I can't quite agree with this. First of all, their main coach was still Paola Mezzadri. They went to Zueva for a couple of weeks in summer to get a new overall "look" and polish. I agree that the new style didn't suite them that well, but the "disaster" at the beginning of the season had much more to do with Luca's injury from summer and the subsequent lack of preparation, not with the new style. After that they were on track again and were scored quite well at Worlds. Them not winning the Worlds or not even getting on the podium was not such a surprise, considering the nature of their win the season before. And it's not that they regressed, they just were passed by other teams.

By the way, C/L went to Zueva to receive polish to their programs before this season as well.

Last edited:

Mattieu

Medalist
Gilles and Poirier will win the national title this year just wait and see its coming.

I hope so, Gilles may not be the best skater, but at least they are a breath of fresh air, trying new stuff!
I hate Weaver and Pojé regurgitating stuff they have done before
I guess I am so not a Weaver fan, even if I find Pojé rather gorgeous.
She just annoys me for some reason I can't put my finger on.

Last edited:

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
I hate Weaver and Pojé regurgitating stuff they have done before.
That is too strongly said as well. They may repeat seperate moves and elements, but most other teams do that too. Other than that, Weaver/Poje have had a different overall style to their FDs each season, and this year is no exception. They have different music, new moves and new lifts. I guess it is often like that - when you don't like a skater/team for some reason, you are less willing to pay closer attention to what they do in order to be objective, and less forgiving than you are to other teams who may actually have similar "faults" (repeating some moves/elements, in this case), but whom you like better.

Last edited:

tulosai

Record Breaker
And what has that to do with Zueva? Weaver/Poje are coached by Krylova and Camerlengo. The actual connection is that both FDs are choreographed by Tchernyshev.

I can't quite agree with this. First of all, their main coach was still Paola Mezzadri. They went to Zueva for a couple of weeks in summer to get a new overall "look" and polish. I agree that the new style didn't suite them that well, but the "disaster" at the beginning of the season had much more to do with Luca's injury from summer and the subsequent lack of preparation, not with the new style. After that they were on track again, and were scored quite well at Worlds. Them not winning the Worlds or not even getting on the podium was not such a surprise, considering the nature of their win the season before. And it's not that they regressed, they just were passed by other teams.

By the way, C/L went to Zueva to receive polish to their programs before this seaon as well.

I pretty much hate Zuzu at this point but I agree with all of this. There are plenty of true nasty things to say about her, no need to say things that are not.

brushalley

On the Ice
Country
United-Kingdom
I think it's that W/P FD is just the same style as last year .I think a more dramatic or upbeat style would be better.Looks the same as Seasons.Didn't like the first half but thought the second half more interesting.What a strange ending:disapp:
C/B H/D and B/S are my favourite FDS so far and I can't believe I like C/B.The other one is Yanovskaya/Mozgov it's really grown on me .Can't wait to see it with the costumes!

Last edited:

Alba

Record Breaker
Wow, so Weaver/Poje's program really does NOT work for me... I was actually bored for a lot of it. Also has he always struggled with twizzles and I've just forgotten, or is this new?

They're both weak with twizzles. Small, scratching, sometimes off balance.

But why make it so demanding it's just their second season as seniors. How will they be able to compete it?:drama: Igor is a genius.

They train with Krylova and Camerlengo, not Igor.

Yeah they were slower than many. Was really surprised when the score was announced.

Not so surprised, if you check who's their coach. Sometimes the name alone can do wonders apparently. :sarcasm:

i agree about new coaching… that would help them grow… but is it too late in the quad to do so?

No, it's not late at all. On the contrary they would be right on time, although I'm not convinced yet that they need to change coaches.

Re-W&P: I haven't watch their FD yet but everybody hold your horses. It's their first competition and the season has just started. It's not a big deal if they had not a clean or great skate. That's why these competitions are for, especially for top couples which doesn't need much ranking points. They get feedback, they see what work and what not and fix them, and they don't have to be in great shape right now either.

chameleon

On the Ice
It's not that the skate wasn't that great, it's that I don't feel this program has all that much potential. It felt very heavy and ponderous and lacking a spark. Maybe when they get more comfortable they'll skate it with more energy and feeling, but the choreography and music was nothing special.