Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Last edited:

DexterK

On the Ice
Who really wants individually wrapped roses and random stuffed/plush animals? Well, let me rephrase, who wants them to the extent where you are in your hotel room after competing, standing near the sink unwrapping each one and finding a vase for them to sit in until you fly out the next morning? I'd just throw them away or give them to a skater who performed worse than I did.

I do not get it.

Yeah, I know they donate the stuffed/plush animals. Couldn't they just donate to a cause that can actually help people in their skater's name?

I still do not get it.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just saw the videos. Do not understand those who say that Yulia was overscored. This program has 135 - 140+ potential if skated properly: very beautiful. And Yulia was unrivalled here in terms of skating beauty. She was punished properly for her mistakes and Rika was also rewarded properly for her efforts. If she hit the loop her overall score would be 190+ who can complain about that?!

I saw Yulia's program live and was underwhelmed. I couldn't believe it was the same Yulia who won all those competitions two years ago. Today's Yulia was so detached from her music, she almost sleepwalked through the program. She had two good jumps, the rest were sluggish. She's grown a lot---not only up, but she's also filled out so she can't rotate as quickly so perhaps that has affected her jumping. Was she overscored? I'd say yes, she was---in the PCS. There wasn't much expression or life in her performance; she was given marks based on her prior reputation, not on what she did on the ice.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I saw Yulia's program live and was underwhelmed. I couldn't believe it was the same Yulia who won all those competitions two years ago. Today's Yulia was so detached from her music, she almost sleepwalked through the program. She had two good jumps, the rest were sluggish. She's grown a lot---not only up, but she's also filled out so she can't rotate as quickly so perhaps that has affected her jumping. Was she overscored? I'd say yes, she was---in the PCS. There wasn't much expression or life in her performance; she was given marks based on her prior reputation, not on what she did on the ice.

I thought her step sequence was brilliant and she flowed incredibly smooth across the ice like a ribbon. You used to always post how you wanted to see her slow down her movements and now she has. I mean to each their own but you've been harping on her for so long and even when she was in good form so it's kind of hard to take you seriously because you've never given her any fair amount of credit IMO.

FWIW: In her interviews she says she hasn't lost her jumps and in practice videos she is able to rotate her jumps just fine so I highly doubt it's a physical thing but probably just mental at this point.

It's too bad more people aren't talking about Rika's fine performance. Unfortunately I haven't had time to see it but she really is a great skater and has good interpretation. I'll watch them when I get a chance :yes:

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
chuckm, can I ask what impressions you had of the other skaters? Not all of them of course, but the ones that stuck out for you? :)

sabinfire

Doing the needful
Record Breaker
Who really wants individually wrapped roses and random stuffed/plush animals? Well, let me rephrase, who wants them to the extent where you are in your hotel room after competing, standing near the sink unwrapping each one and finding a vase for them to sit in until you fly out the next morning? I'd just throw them away or give them to a skater who performed worse than I did.

I do not get it.

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. Are you suggesting that skating fans shouldn't throw anything on the ice because it's a waste of their time? Or that skaters should be chucking all their gifts into a trash can in the K&C while they await their scores?

Why would a skater who's lower in the standings want Yulia's roses?

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
The following gifset lets you judge for yourself. For me, it was a sweet moment for Marin to comfort Wakaba. --Nothing ruined. But each viewer may judge according to their own up-bringing and biases.
http://hondaholmed.tumblr.com/post/130954996751/wakaba-higuchi-marin-honda-diana-pervushkina
From these GIF images I can understand some fans' feelings about Wakaba's behavior at that point, like Meoima, but I should say that all three girls on the podium look very lovely and beautiful. :love: From a bystander's point of view it is indecent to cry in front of the cameras, alongside two other medalists, but considering Wakaba is still a teenage girl who is more sentimental than boys, I can completely neglect her sweet-and-bitter tears at that moment. Actually crying Wakaba reminds me of Roger a few years back when he lost to Rafael at the Austrialian Open Finals... :laugh: At that time I got really angry with Roger's ungracious behavior at the Victory Ceremony: Even a tennis star like Roger Federer is a sore loser! :mad: Can you believe that crying Roger left Rafael very much frustrated and lost at the Ceremony? :laugh:

The following gifset lets you judge for yourself. For me, it was a sweet moment for Marin to comfort Wakaba. --Nothing ruined. But each viewer may judge according to their own up-bringing and biases.
http://hondaholmed.tumblr.com/post/130954996751/wakaba-higuchi-marin-honda-diana-pervushkina

OK, I watched the gifs. Now, what's the issue?

She had a little emotional moment. Well, uh, yeah, she did.

The real scandal to me was that Marin straight gave Wakaba the ole hair whip in the head while the poor girl was already sobbing. :biggrin:

http://33.media.tumblr.com/e01f17fff72997f0111121dc89a4596a/tumblr_nw2dem9fBc1twpi8ao2_500.gif

:laugh:

Who really wants individually wrapped roses and random stuffed/plush animals?

Um…every performer does, right? They even appreciate applause. :yes:

TMC

Record Breaker

Agreed (I was there, too).

As for "skating beauty", I felt that So-youn Park displayed that quality by far the best of all of the ladies. Julia was by no means bad, but to me she was not as good as So-youn.

But I'm not a judge or an expert, so this is just my (layperson's) opinion :)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I thought Rika Hongo and So Youn Park had the best skates and deserved the highest PCS scores. That Yulia got higher PCS scores than Rika is a real headscratcher---what on earth were the judges drinking??? Rika really got into her music and got the crowd engaged, too. Yulia skated with the music as background--she looked rather bored throughout---I couldn't see any relationship there at all.

bara1968

On the Ice
As many people here praise Soyoun and Hongo's performances, I finally get to see them this morning; They were indeed beautiful. I enjoyed Soyoun's performance very much. But 53-54 PCS for Soyoun was like... I don't know what to say; Is she becoming a Akiko of Korea? Maybe things get better when she provides a clean SP so that she can put herself in a leading group.....

Last edited:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Will you tell me what happened to Wakaba, Meoima?
Sorry, "unacceptable" is a too strong word. Still, I think she could cry anytime, even shout in the back stage, just not too much on the podium because that made Marin feel bad too. I like the girl, that's why I said so out of my concern for her. She got some dislike on Twitter last season at Japan National so I hope it won't repeat.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Hey @os168 do you look for Yuna Kim in every young Korean skater? :biggrin:

No need to look for her. I see her in many North American, Japanese, Chinese, small federation skaters and even Russian skaters too ;) Same with Mao :)

I find So Youn quite different type of skater to Yuna. Softer, gentler and has vulnerability to her style that I like.

TMC

Record Breaker
I thought Rika Hongo and So Youn Park had the best skates and deserved the highest PCS scores. That Yulia got higher PCS scores than Rika is a real headscratcher---what on earth were the judges drinking??? Rika really got into her music and got the crowd engaged, too. Yulia skated with the music as background--she looked rather bored throughout---I couldn't see any relationship there at all.

I'm actually not surprised Julia was ahead of Rika. In fact, I'd have had Rika 3rd in PCS after Soyoun and Julia. She was super exuberant and performed to the rafters, but I don't think that's enough to give her the highest score in any component other than PE/EX.

Tutto

Record Breaker
I'm actually not surprised Julia was ahead of Rika. In fact, I'd have had Rika 3rd in PCS after Soyoun and Julia. She was super exuberant and performed to the rafters, but I don't think that's enough to give her the highest score in any component other than PE/EX.

I agree with that but not sure that Julia's PCS should have been ahead either. Julia lost a bit of her fluidity which was her trademark and the choreo of both programs was a bit of mess to me.
A mad idea, I know, but maybe there was a plot to ruin Julia originated from Averbuch who decided to prove to Julia (and the rest of the world) that his choreo was the best for her and she shouldn't have abandoned him for Zueva? :)

There was so much talk about her new programs choreographed in USA, I frankly expected more. I still think that as lovely as Leningrad piece is it is too flat to make a good FS program, it might do a better sp, but for a lp it is just boring. But my biggest disappointment lies with Julia's costumes I always credited Julia with a good taste but that was:shrug: Dear Julia at least please ditch those tights it looks truly horrible (along with a spoiled brat attitude).

The best Lp for me was So Youn Park's - I am a new fan!

Last edited:

Tutto

Record Breaker
That brat spent a while backstage signing for the flower girls. But I guess...that wasn't aired, and doesn't fit with the general narrative does it? :rolleye:

It is good Julia found time to give autographs backstage however it does not excuse her rude behaviour in the K&C - it was uncomfortable to watch. I can not imagine Michelle or Hanyu or Yuna behaving like this when they were disappointed with their performances though they had way more titles & medals than Julia. But that's what defines a true sportsmanship. You defend your favourite and there is nothing wrong with that but the rest of us can see what we see - a bad tempered girl whose sudden fame went to her head and who is unable to lose gracefully.

andyjo24

Medalist
Rika - Wow. This girl knows how to compete. I don't remember the last time I've seen her fall! As for her programs, I like her SP (it's very unique) but don't like her FS (it was a bit flat for my taste. The music seemed much more joyful and lively than her skating). Nonetheless, she deserved the gold here for sure. Her PCS was a bit too high in my opinion. I would score her around a 58, but it seems that she is getting rewarded for being so solid every time, which is understandable.

Yulia - I actually enjoyed her SP unlike many other people (or actually maybe just the music. Haha. It makes me feel happy to hear Elvis' voice). As for her FS, I did not enjoy it... It was basically a watered-down version of Schindler's List. She was just going through the motions with absolutely no connection to the music at all. Her spins have gotten slower and less-centered as well.. She was vastly overscored in PCS IMO. How in the world can that skate be rewarded over 60 and even more ridiculous, the highest PCS of the event.....

So Youn Park - I like both of her programs this season. Her SP is so lovely but I do think she needs to add a bit more power. Now that she knows how costly doubling the Lutz in the SP is, I hope she will do her best no matter what, even if it means falling, to rotate the 3lz. As for her FS, it's a good start but she needs to attack more power and aggressiveness. Red Violin, to me, is music that showcases both delicacy and power at the same time, which makes it difficult. Right now, she's got the delicate side down but she needs to bring more power! Especially for the dramatic ending. I am praying that she will be more consistent this season. She was around the same level as Rika in PCS last year (low 50s) but consistency is what set them apart and look now, there's almost a ten point difference in PCS. So Youn, please focus on landing all your jumps! That is the only solution to getting recognition from the judges and receiving the PCS you actually deserve! The performance will come automatically when you land everything!!

moviebuff

On the Ice
It is good Julia found time to give autographs backstage however it does not excuse her rude behaviour in the K&C - it was uncomfortable to watch. I can not imagine Michelle or Hanyu or Yuna behaving like this when they were disappointed with their performances though they had way more titles & medals than Julia. But that's what defines a true sportsmanship. You defend your favourite and there is nothing wrong with that but the rest of us can see what we see - a bad tempered girl whose sudden fame went to her head and who is unable to lose gracefully.
Everyone's free to their own interpretation, not going to argue there. To me Yulia was a bit rough with the flowers, but by no means do I see any deliberate intention to act out or do deliberate harm against those girls. Yes, she could've/should've been more patient and less in a hurry....but in that particular moment she was in a hurry to get all the flower/gifts out of the way and focus on scores and such. She smiled at the ceremony, did a high-five-lap with the audience, and signed for those flower girls and other fans afterwards. I don't just get all the kerfuffle over the flower-snatching. Yulia's demeanour has aways been introverted, stoic and standoff-ish in some instances. Sochi did a complete 360 to her life; anonymity gone, under the constant gaze and expectation of press, public, fed and fans...I doubt that her introverted-self ever asked for/wanted, or got an ego-boost from the attention/"sudden fame". Some people relish in the attention, some find it excruciating.

Also, I don't see how having "more titles" has an affect on one's reactions or persona, Michelle is Michelle, Hanyu is Hanyu, Yuna is Yuna, etc. Sometimes certain people just can't help but react the way they react; it's impulsive, it may offend, but its real. As for "losing gracefully", many have appeared upset and annoyed during kiss'n'cry, many of cried/brawled on podiums, truth is not everyone can 'smile-and-bear-it' when they feel the contrary (and in other sports they aren't expected to either). Some might say "suck it up, or get out of the spotlight", but I think it's quite unaccepting of people with different personalities. It is very frustrating that many other popular sports seem a lot more accepting of athletes (particularly ladies) who wear their emotions on their sleeves and/or are outside of the general mold. Maybe I just can't grasp people's expectations of skating world's off-ice PR etiquette. I constantly see people giving Gracie a hard time for 'pageant-like' behaviour or whatever they are harping on about, and yet when any skater shows/does anything outside of skating-decorum...the knives come out.

Apologies for the long post. Peace out. Cheers.

Last edited:

minze

Medalist
No need to look for her. I see her in many North American, Japanese, Chinese, small federation skaters and even Russian skaters too ;) Same with Mao :)

I find So Youn quite different type of skater to Yuna. Softer, gentler and has vulnerability to her style that I like.

I know what you mean, they completely different skaters. But we are humans and it is not hard to think ok South Korea please produce the next Yuna Kim. Which is kid unfair to the new generation because no one should be expected to live up to those high standards.

I know many small federations skaters saw hope in Yuna Kim. Isadora Williams, said that she wants to put Brazil in the skating map, the way Yuna Kim did South Korea.