2015 Finlandia Trophy Ladies SP and FS | Page 42 | Golden Skate

2015 Finlandia Trophy Ladies SP and FS

Tutto

Record Breaker
Also, I don't see how having "more titles" has an affect on one's reactions or persona, Michelle is Michelle, Hanyu is Hanyu, Yuna is Yuna, etc. Sometimes certain people just can't help but react the way they react; it's impulsive, it may offend, but its real. As for "losing gracefully", many have appeared upset and annoyed during kiss'n'cry, many of cried/brawled on podiums, truth is not everyone can 'smile-and-bear-it' when they feel the contrary (and in other sports they aren't expected to either). Some might say "suck it up, or get out of the spotlight", but I think it's quite unaccepting of people with different personalities. It is very frustrating that many other popular sports seem a lot more accepting of athletes (particularly ladies) who wear their emotions on their sleeves and/or are outside of the general mold. Maybe I just can't grasp people's expectations of skating world's off-ice PR etiquette. I constantly see people giving Gracie a hard time for 'pageant-like' behaviour or whatever they are harping on about, and yet when any skater shows/does anything outside of skating-decorum...the knives come out.

Apologies for the long post. Peace out. Cheers.

Thanks for taking time to reply to my post. There are some points I agree with and I get it that all people are different but...
there is a saying I like very much which says it all:
'A person, who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person'
Cheers

Last edited:

Sackie

Medalist
To Fans who are advocating Julia's action

Then do you think the flower girls deserved to face rudeness from a person they didn't know at all physically? Just curious... I do agree that Julia is a human being and have a right to express her feeling. But, at same time, Julia is clearly a celebrity in figure skating world and she certainly has an obligation to keep her manners to other people especially at a public place... This is not the first time she've acted like this either :p Hope she show some manners disregarding her performance. I am not asking for "genuine smiles" like Gracie Gold and Ashley Wagner do. Julia is not that young either in skating world... Being "sad or disappointed" and "childish" are completely different by the way

You mean she should have smiled and acted like Ashley did here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00URSUr1-wk

But of course Ashley was justified right!

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks for taking time to reply to my post. There are some points I agree with and I get it that all people are different but...
there is a saying I like very much which says it all:
'A person, who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person'
Cheers

Or the waiter was annoying and didn't let me eat my food and just kept pestering me :p

jg2000

On the Ice
You mean she should have smiled and acted like Ashley did here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00URSUr1-wk

But of course Ashley was justified right!

Well I personally never thought thought there was anything wrong with Ashley here, and I don't think many people did (it was just really funny). But I guess your point still stands; I don't think Ashley (and Gracie, tbh) is a skater who always has a genuine smile, as erickpkh98 is suggesting. Honestly, I wouldn't take any of his words seriously, considering he openly admitted to hating Adelina Sotnikova after Japan Open.

uhh

Medalist
Or the waiter was annoying and didn't let me eat my food and just kept pestering me :p

And in that case, you can politely ask for the waiter to leave you alone until you have finished eating. It wouldn't be acceptable to glower at them, or snap, or intimidate them.

The flower girls were just doing their job that they had been asked to do by the organisers, and it wouldn't have been hard for Julia to just have been neutral towards them (I'm not asking for smiles and hugs), or to gesture to them to just leave things on the sofa next to her. You can see that the kids are really afraid to go up to her, and there is no reason for her to have made them feel like that. Sergei had a much more disappointing skate and still managed to be gracious. Julia is 17 and has been competing at international events for years, there is no excuse for continuing to behave like a brat. Furthermore, learning to let it go once she gets off the ice might actually help her get over her ongoing mental weakness when it comes to competing.

jg2000

On the Ice
And in that case, you can politely ask for the waiter to leave you alone until you have finished eating. It wouldn't be acceptable to glower at them, or snap, or intimidate them.

The flower girls were just doing their job that they had been asked to do by the organisers, and it wouldn't have been hard for Julia to just have been neutral towards them (I'm not asking for smiles and hugs), or to gesture to them to just leave things on the sofa next to her. You can see that the kids are really afraid to go up to her, and there is no reason for her to have made them feel like that. Sergei had a much more disappointing skate and still managed to be gracious. Julia is 17 and has been competing at international events for years, there is no excuse for continuing to behave like a brat. Furthermore, learning to let it go once she gets off the ice might actually help her get over her ongoing mental weakness when it comes to competing.

The problem is, the flower girls weren't afraid to go up to her? I mean, most of them had smiling or neutral faces as they went up to her. None of them looked scared, at least, and none of them looked in a hurry to get away afterwards. I honestly don't think she made them feel scared at all; Julia's own expression didn't even look angry, unless you consider a straight face as angry.
You're obviously free to have your own interpretation, but I really don't understand where you got some of your 'facts'.

chz

On the Ice
I don't understand why people trying hard to justify what Julia did. To my eyes even at first glimpse of her fs video during k&c without reading any of the comments, it's just rude.

andyjo24

Medalist
What Julia did was plain and simple rude! She may have not shown in in the face but you can tell 100% from her body language.

Tutto

Record Breaker
I don't understand why people trying hard to justify what Julia did. To my eyes even at first glimpse of her fs video during k&c without reading any of the comments, it's just rude.

They are in love :)

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Lolling a bit at everyone telling Julia to lighten up needing to take their own advice. :drama:

Last edited:

Snow63

Pray one day we'll open our eyes.
Record Breaker
Last edited:

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
I didn't see anything rude in the kiss and cry, but assuming Yulia was objectively rude, simply for the sake of argument. How long do you all plan on harping on it? What does it have to do with her skating? If her biggest "crime" is throwing flowers on a couch instead of gently setting them down, then seriously, who cares. Wake me up when she rips off her medal or has someone's knee whacked.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I didn't see anything rude in the kiss and cry, but assuming Yulia was objectively rude, simply for the sake of argument. How long do you all plan on harping on it? What does it have to do with her skating? If her biggest "crime" is throwing flowers on a couch instead of gently setting them down, then seriously, who cares. Wake me up when she rips off her medal or has someone's knee whacked.

:rofl:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's obvious Yulia doesn't like to lose. But if she keeps skating the way she did in Espoo, she'll have to get more accustomed to losing. Maybe she'll learn to accept it more gracefully.

jg2000

On the Ice
It's obvious Yulia doesn't like to lose. But if she keeps skating the way she did in Espoo, she'll have to get more accustomed to losing. Maybe she'll learn to accept it more gracefully.

Have you forgotten how many times she lost last season?? Lol, the skating the way she did "in Espoo" is not some new thing; I don't know how anyone could forget.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker

I think part of it has to do with what "rude" means to various people and what the implications/consequences can/should be.

For instance while i do think she could have acted better and don't think calling some of her behavior rude is unreasonable, I don't think it comes close to making her a rude person. I don't think she should get a formal lecture - but maybe having her watch it so she is aware of how it looks at least might be wise.

Some people see rudeness as borderline unforgivable. Me, I assume different people have different perceptions, so I assume some things will be seen as rude and just accept that it happens and does not need to be dwelt on. To me it is not that big a deal - it is one instance to me.

Some of those that see her actions as rude seems to take the action as a rather large faux pas that punishment would not be unwarranted, I think some of those defending her actions are defending her from the consequence and implications than defending what she did.

Things can exists as multiple things. Nothing exists in a vacuum. Ashley's BS lip read is a great example. Was it a bit tactless and uncalled for what she did? Yes. Was it also funny and relatable? Yes. One does not negate the other - both can be true. Just like with Yulia here, her behavior can exist as something that comes across as rude, but also not be that big a deal and be understandable/forgivable.

EdgeCall

Record Breaker

Yeah, she should take a leaf out of John McEnroe's book. Or Serena Williams'. I am looking forward to Yulia storming the jurors' table and showering them with insults and threats of violence because she didn't like their verdict. Sportsmanship at its best! :agree:

Last edited:
My favorite rude behavior on the podium was at the 1994 Olympics. Oksana Baiul cried so many tears of joy that it made her make-up run. They had to delay the ceremony to re-touch it for the photographers. This obviously ticked Nancy Kerrigan off, who had some choice comments, eye rolling, and body language.

Nancy might have gotten away with that, but the next week she was supposed to take pictures with Mickey Mouse at Disneyworld, and while she was waiting said very audibly, "This is the stupidest thing I have ever done." (Million-dollar sponsor Disney was not amused. :laugh: )

andyjo24

Medalist
Julia will have to fight to get on the podium now, not first place unfortunately....

There are just too many Russians who are stronger than her now.