2016 Canadian Nationals Senior Men FS | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2016 Canadian Nationals Senior Men FS

Marth

Rinkside
:noshake: I refuse to accept this as reality. I'm going to come back and find out that I'll see Nam in Boston. Okay? OK!

*Escapes back to the US ladies*

Me right now, my only consolation is how great Mirai and Ashley just did
(also yay my first post here after almost a year of just lurking)

icekiwi

On the Ice
Just in from the rink. Liam far far superior speed, flow, edges, basic skating, spins than either Kevin or Nam, and performed the hell out of his programme. Judges were if anything generous to Kevin and Nam over Nadeau and Messing. On the night his placing definitely earned. Whether he should go to worlds is another question.

Thank you for that dgel. Always appreciate some 'live' reports. Audiences at the rink quite often see something quite differently than those at home looking at a TV screen. I believe you are right with regrads to speed, flow, edge from Liam. Thanks for putting this forward. It is hard to judge edge and speed correctly sometimes when one is just watching from a TV/computer screen.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Okay, while I was away for US Ladies' event, the Canadian men's event is over. Patrick in the first, of course it should be, but Liam won a silver medalist, wow..surprising. The more exciting new for me is Kevin's bronze. Congratulations to the top finishers!!

peg

Medalist
what is the Canadian fed policy for choosing the second spot? In Japan it's 1. Nats Winner, 2. Highest international ranking or scores 3. GP placement etc.
So what about canada? is it possible that Kevin could be sent...or Nam?

I'm not sure that there's a clear policy. Usually it's based on placements at Nationals, but there have been times when someone with a better track record lost out to someone with less success, and they have sent them both to 4CC and chosen based on that

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I'm not sure that there's a clear policy. Usually it's based on placements at Nationals, but there have been times when someone with a better track record lost out to someone with less success, and they have sent them both to 4CC and chosen based on that

How strategic does the federation want to be about this? Just looking at the track records of Kevin, Nam and Liam...there's a world of difference in Kevin and Nam's scoring potential (and actual international placements) compared to Liam's.

peg

Medalist
How strategic does the federation want to be about this? Just looking at the track records of Kevin, Nam and Liam...there's a world of difference in Kevin and Nam's scoring potential (and actual international placements) compared to Liam's.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see. But the difference in international scoring potential is exactly why so many of us would like to see a skate-off at 4CC, in front of international jdges

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Well, in fairness, there was a point towards the end of Kurt Browning's career when we had two world class skaters. Both Kurt and Elvis Stojko landed on the World podium one year

Doing some research there was a time they had Brian Orser and Brian Pokar who were medal threats, Kurt Browning and Elvis Stojo, Jeffrey Buttle, Emanual Sandhu and the Patrick Chan while Buttle was still around.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Wow O Canada what a mess you have in men's and women's . While Patrick is showing some development he has a long way to go technically and I think to up his pcs still. But he is the class of the Canadian men and the hope for any world scene medal. I am happy for Kevin's comeback - so fast and amazing is his comeback and for Liam who is a beautiful skater. what is fair or in the best interests of Canada maybe different. Reynolds and nam have far great scoring capacity on both tes and pcs. Both are better and arguably more experienced competitive skaters. And Liam has been underwhelming internationally. Either man over Liam makes the most sense I know Liam has fans and family and friends but deep down they know Liam is not the man likely to enable Canada to earn 3 spots. In fact, most of us would guess that Nam or Reynolds had a better chance of making the top 5 than Liam making the top ten. I give him full credit for the upped ante in jumps but it isn't enough or consistent enough and he usually does score lower pc wise internationally thank Reynolds or Nam. But a skate off with all 3 is unlikely if Chan goes to 4ccs. we will have to wait and see. Nam Reynolds Firus Osmond and Daleman won't be sleeping tonight.

kresslia

Medalist
Wow O Canada what a mess you have in men's and women's .
After the great ladies' competition we had today, I fail to see what constitutes deeming the ladies a mess. Chartrand was next to flawless the entire competition, Gabby laid down a clean FP, Kaetlyn was underwhelming but we all know she's capable of better.

I do agree with you re: Liam / Nam / Kevin though, I hope SC makes the right move here. It will feel unfair to Liam, but tough luck.

Last edited:

SGrand

Final Flight
After the great ladies' competition we had today, I fail to see what constitutes deeming the ladies a mess. Chartrand was next to flawless the entire competition, Gabby laid down a clean FP, Kaetlyn was underwhelming but we all know she's capable of better.

I think they are referring to who will get the 2nd spot for worlds. Is it a given that silver goes? I'm fine with the ladies, but with Liam there is a bit of a worry I guess.

eta

Medalist
What about 4cc?

Assuming Chan is not going -he has no reason to plus it's rather far, will Canada send 2nd + 3rd + 4th? And will that result affect who gets the 2nd World spot?

Last edited:

sloveniangirl

Match Penalty
2 lovely big quads from Patrick, 3a was ok, doubled some jumps later... high marks considering the doubled jumps, but that is just inflation... and his skating skills are amazing. Fine with his score. Great to see him getting back into form because he is so good and motivates yuzu.

Would Love a skate off with Nam, Kevin and Liam at 4cc. I bet the results would be verrrrry different there.

:laugh2: :rofl: :rofl2:

I don´t think so.

Patrick should take some lessons from Yuzuru how to jump, especially the 3A :disapp:

Last edited:

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
my spicy prince:sad4:
4th???????
why? how? ***?

Last edited:

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
There was a poster earlier who commented that she read Patrick wants to go to 4CC this year to get some more international experience before worlds. If Patrick does attend, that leaves Nam out.

Any links to this source about Patrick and 4CC? :)

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

I do agree with you re: Liam / Nam / Kevin though, I hope SC makes the right move here. It will feel unfair to Liam, but tough luck.

I agree about the ladies, they definitely aren't a mess. It's been a long time since Canada has had three girls with this much skill - when's the last time Canada had three female skaters capable of 3Lz-3T? Or in Kaetlyn's case the 3F-3T (which I know she doubled the T here at Canadians, but we know she's capable of it). The answer is never. ;) and yes, while they are nowhere near the Russians and Japanese and the Americans, If gabby and Alaine skate clean at worlds I can see them at least getting top 12. Plus, ice is slippery, you never know what could happen to worlds for those expected to medal.

liv

Record Breaker
Yuzu has said many times that patrick back in competition, along with javi and shoma, is helping to motivate him, so I am not making that up.

Poor nam for sure. It must be a shock to him.

As for ladies, the result was right and if they skate as they did here in boston, it should be ok.

Last edited:

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Nicolas Nadeu has the best canadian men 3A jump when he hits it right. Great position in the air and landing

And nice quads from Patrick too