2016 Canadian Nationals Senior Men FS | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2016 Canadian Nationals Senior Men FS

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
:palmf: Best luck to Liam. I hope he does better than everyone expects. I really, really hope he does.

If he doesn't at the 4CC and Kevin does....ummmmm is there hope? *fingers crossed* ? Because I was a bit upset with the list....but it was fair cause Liam does has minimums as of now and Kevin doesn't...but still.....grrrrrr.

Bumdid

Record Breaker
I actually just look at Liam's FP at youtube and he kinda skate like a slower, more tentative bootlegged version of Patrick Chan? His jumps though :confused2:

liv

Record Breaker
That's exactly it. The judges like his skating skills. I can appreciate them too, he does have a somewhat similar-ish flow around the ice to Patrick... but the problem is his inability to do the jumps. It's like they keep hoping that his jumps will suddenly show up, but they've been waiting for a few years for that to happen, and it hasn't. And so when he gets to big international competitions, he gets buried at the bottom of the pack, which doesn't help the team. Internationally we've seen other skaters with obviously lower skating skills get a pcs boost because of their jumps, but with Liam it's the other way around.

That being said, I'd love for him to prove us wrong and deliver a good program at World's.

eta

Medalist
So, since I have no idea who Liam Firus is, I looked him up, and saw

best SP 70.21 (2015 4cc)
best FS 137.82 (2015 golden spin)

... well. Guess Canada doesn't want that 3rd Worlds spot for next year.

Unless he can somehow improve by 30 points in the next 2 months?

Sabrina

Record Breaker
The problem with Liam getting second spot originates in the SP, where the had bad landings both for the quadruple and 3A. He still ended up with huge GOE points that allowed him to get into second place. The rest is history...

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
It's amusing to see skating fans being so political and angsty about a federation being straight forward.

Selected skaters earned their spots. They selected themselves by rights accorded every competitor. Congratulations and may they all do their best and prove their worth.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Canada made the wrong decision, and it will pay the price for its consequences...:palmf:

Maybe they'll change their mind after 4CC. After all there's about 1 1/2 months in between 4CC and Nationals.

Though yes right now I DO understand why the decision was made....well slightly.....but Kevin's definitely a better international competitor than Liam. It's been shown...there's no way of convincing Skate Canada now though....

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's amusing to see skating fans being so political and angsty about a federation being straight forward.

Selected skaters earned their spots. They selected themselves by rights accorded every competitor. Congratulations and may they all do their best and prove their worth.

I do understand Why Liam was selected for Worlds and not Kevin....and it has to do with TES minimum. Which is fair cause Liam does have the minimums for Worlds as of right now and Kevin doesn't. But it's just that in the past, Liam hasn't done too well in international events.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I do understand Why Liam was selected for Worlds and not Kevin....and it has to do with TES minimum. Which is fair cause Liam does have the minimums for Worlds as of right now and Kevin doesn't. But it's just that in the past, Liam hasn't done too well in international events.

The past is the past. It's not what I would use to condemn someone and deny their earned rights as well as opportunities to prove themselves. Be glad Liam is not the number one who must deliver like Jeremy Abbott of the U.S. often was. The closeness in results sometimes merits consideration in selection but Kevin is ineligible so that's that.

There is no guarantee anybody else will deliver. How would you feel if Kevin blew it at Worlds if chosen to go? He too has had consistency issue. Risks come with opportunities.

PrincessBeany

Rinkside
Super disappointed in Skate Canada's decision. There's no chance for 3 spots.

And their treatment of Nam this season is beyond ridiculous. They've just dumped him and could care less that he's had a consistent 4T and 3A all season before this weekend. Nam can't be impressed and neither am I.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The past is the past. It's not what I would use to condemn someone and deny their earned rights as well as opportunities to prove themselves. Be glad Liam is not the number one who must deliver like Jeremy Abbott of the U.S. often was. The closeness in results sometimes merits consideration in selection but Kevin is ineligible so that's that.

There is no guarantee anybody else will deliver. How would you feel if Kevin blew it at Worlds if chosen to go? He too has had consistency issue. Risks come with opportunities.

You're right. And consistency was the reason why I was terrified on how Kevin would do at nationals.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Super disappointed in Skate Canada's decision. There's no chance for 3 spots.

And their treatment of Nam this season is beyond ridiculous. They've just dumped him and could care less that he's had a consistent 4T and 3A all season before this weekend. Nam can't be impressed and neither am I.

What do you suggest they should have scored Nam? Ignore his quad falls? Put him in second nonetheless? Dump the two ahead of him and send him to World nonetheless?

Nam is a very important part of the future of figure skating in Canada and will be nurtured and supported, but not propped at 17. He still needs to grow in his skating skills (including the the technical elements) while dealing with physical changes which still cause instabilities. His time will come and cannot be denied.

sloveniangirl

Match Penalty
Yuzu has said many times that patrick back in competition, along with javi and shoma, is helping to motivate him, so I am not making that up.

Poor nam for sure. It must be a shock to him.

As for ladies, the result was right and if they skate as they did here in boston, it should be ok.

Yuzuru is very polite. We know that. You can only be motivated by someone, who is better than you. In his case - Evgeni Plushenko. He is talking non stop about him :rolleye:

PrincessBeany

Rinkside
Nam has consistently shown himself to be Canada's #2 this season. He simply had a bad weekend.

Yes there are things Nam needs to work on and yes he was a little off this week. But the two skaters above him received far higher PCS than they'll receive internationally while Nam's were quite consistent to what he's been scoring all year. Results may have been different if PCS was scored more closely to international events or there was a bit more consistency in Nationals inflation. I think Nam was dumped. But that's just my opinion.

Kuan

Final Flight
@sloveniangirl

Why do you keep talking about Yuzu? Was he skating at canadian nationals? I just wonder....had no livestream :think::scratch:
No one said a bad word about him and you use every sentences wich includes his name to rant about Patrick. Please try to be a little bit more polite, just like Yuzuru.

And no, you also can be motivated by people who are not better than you.

Last edited:

artsciboy

On the Ice
The problem with Liam getting second spot originates in the SP, where the had bad landings both for the quadruple and 3A. He still ended up with huge GOE points that allowed him to get into second place. The rest is history...

Not to mention the turn between his 3-3 combo - Liam messed up all 3 jump elements and still scored so high in the SP when he shouldn't have been. I am completely disappointed with this decision by Skate Canada.

Assuming Patrick places 3rd at Worlds at best (and there's no guarantee he'll podium), I do not see Liam placing even 10th - more like 16th at best. And then next year, we'll have the same conumdrum of having only 2 spots. Sigh!