Skating Moves You Don't Like? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Skating Moves You Don't Like?

carriecmu0503

On the Ice
I understand it's a demonstration of exceptional flexibility but I never find this position of spin very aesthetic, especially when done by Lipnitskaia. Neck thrusted forward, looks quite forced, purely unattractive. https://it.pinterest.com/pin/322711129526440027/

Julia's tights in this picture are completely inexcusable. This picture looks like it was taken during Olympic competition, and you can see the entire waist band of her tights! Either have tights that come up higher, or don't cut the panty part of the dress up so high.

Last edited:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I looove spins. I love them more than jumps. So an ugly spin for me is :sad21:

I am going to agree with the excellent points above, and add:

1. I don't watch ladies' skating much, but is it the Ispin, where they stand straight and yank their ankle up to their ear? Which proves exactly what? That a 15 or 16 year old girl is flexible? Stop the presses! The position is ugly. It is not impressive and shows no particular athletic skill. Negative GOE!

2. Butt spins. I have no idea what this is supposed to show. That you can twirl around with your butt in the air? Again, stop the presses! Negative GOE!

3. Bielmanns. I remember seeing Denise Bielmann do a Bielmann for the first time. I thought to myself, I have never seen such a fugly spin (we didn't have the word fugly then, substitute), I'm not impressed that she can grab her skate and pull it over her head, and thank God it will never catch on. :slink: Negative GOE!

Spinning like Tim Dolensky, Jason Brown or Josh Farris: positive GOE! (And although a Jason uber, I'm not crazy about the catchfoot. I am consistent, at least;))

Last edited:

brightphoton

Medalist
Charlotte Spiral always bothered me especially the ones that Gracie and Ashley usually do. Either do a normal Michelle Kwan Spiral or bust tbh.

When CoP first took out the long spiral sequence, Ashley's Charlotte was much better. Previously spirals were worth a lot of points so skaters were very good at them.

2012, Samson and Delilah, not totally straight, but mostly so, you can see potential
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjkdeueVJSs&t=241

2013, Romeo and Juliet, mostly straight, she seems to wobble out of it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D9Wuk4q7dA&t=240

2013-4, Samson and Delilah, leg is now bent, but she still holds it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5joCsDpGEyQ&t=232

2014, Moulin Rouge version 1, leg is kind of bent, but she holds it out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS_QPOKIe74&t=614

2015, Moulin Rouge version 2, yeesh, bent leg, not held out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74eRY_Iv1Kg&t=277

To be fair, spirals are no longer point-getters. I can understand why Ashley has stopped practicing them. Why bother if a very good spiral and mediocre spiral are worth the same number of points?

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Butt spins. I-spins by anyone other than Sasha Cohen or Julia Lipnitskaya. Catch-foot spirals. Biellmanns, except by Mirai and Elena Rad. Three-jump combinations--what is the point?

arewhyaen

On the Ice
1. Not exactly a move, but I hate when a skater does a layback at a decent speed, then does a Biellmann that is slow as molasses. (Pogorilaya immediately comes to mind.)

2. I also hate spirals under COP. I get that doing a full inside-out spiral doesn't get alot of points, but it's better than seeing someone barely holding the position. There was nothing better than a well-timed spiral that hit during the music's crescendo.

3. Change of edge camels. I get the difficulty of it, but it just looks sloppy.

edenlover

On the Ice
I didn't like the first part of Sasha's spiral in her US champs R and J freeskate in 2006. It comes at about the 3:30 mark. I was sitting in the audience next to a former coach of many skaters, and even she commented on the unattractiveness of that portion of the spiral.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YafMZNrx2_8

noskates

Record Breaker
The Bielmann. Have always hated it. The I spin. The men's spin where they bend over and grab an ankle. None of these, not matter who does them, are attractive. Liked the Charlotte when Michelle did it - but haven't liked anybody's since then. I don't think Ashley is as flexible as Michelle was and it always looks awkward to me.

moriel

Record Breaker
The Bielmann. Have always hated it. The I spin. The men's spin where they bend over and grab an ankle. None of these, not matter who does them, are attractive. Liked the Charlotte when Michelle did it - but haven't liked anybody's since then. I don't think Ashley is as flexible as Michelle was and it always looks awkward to me.

out of current crops, Adelina probably has the best Charlotte imho.
Ashley's just looks awkward.

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
I despise most of the "show your flexibility" spins. They don't look beautiful, and they show flexibility, not skating skill.

These are ugly, and do not show skating skill-they show flexibility.

:agree:Very very true!!! Whoppee! You can lift your leg over head and around and back front so you look like a pretzel. But can we get back to figure skating now??

I think Sasha lead the way for a lot of these moves, (not the beilman (sp?) of course). But I think she was able to do them with a high level of elegance. I know Frank Carroll expressed on a TSL segment that he wasn't impressed by these pretzel moves. A lot of skaters now just look silly. This isn't rhythmic gymnastics. Give me a simple strong, controlled change of edge spiral any day and hold it for at least 30 seconds without wobbling of dropping the free leg. *sigh*

Last edited:

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
I didn't like the first part of Sasha's spiral in her US champs R and J freeskate in 2006. It comes at about the 3:30 mark. I was sitting in the audience next to a former coach of many skaters, and even she commented on the unattractiveness of that portion of the spiral.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YafMZNrx2_8

I can see how it is kind of unattractive, I have never been a huge fan of it.. But at least it shows a level of strength, control and balance. It does not look like an easy move to do. Sasha herself has even wobbled some doing it in some programs.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don't think there is one single move that I hate TBH. Everyone has different style and some people pull off certain moves better than others. I'm not really a fan of the over the top facial expressions and the occasional "OMG I feel this music sooooo much" thing. I love love love flexi spins and those crazy signature positions but I certainly don't think everyone needs them or should even attempt them. Nothing wrong with doing things your own way. Haters gonna hate anyway.

champs

Final Flight
I guess none of the movements or positions mentioned here bother me as they are elements or tricks that are executed with intention and appear only once or twice at most in a program. Contrary to the stiffness or jerkiness or glitchiness of arm movements and tense shoulders that certain skaters constantly exhibit throughout their skating, this I do get bothered by.

CdnSkateWatcher

On the Ice
Not exactly a skating move as such, but, the "chest shimmy" with arms spread, head back is a particular irritation. Male or female.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I don't think there is one single move that I hate TBH. Everyone has different style and some people pull off certain moves better than others. I'm not really a fan of the over the top facial expressions and the occasional "OMG I feel this music sooooo much" thing. I love love love flexi spins and those crazy signature positions but I certainly don't think everyone needs them or should even attempt them. Nothing wrong with doing things your own way. Haters gonna hate anyway.

I agree with you...except the but-spin. I don't think it has any redeeming qualities. :biggrin:

Amei

Record Breaker
1) The A spin (more affectionately referred to as the butt spin) it's hideous and unfortunately it's gaining popularity. I don't care how 'great the butt looks', there is not aesthetically pleasing about your butt being the highest body part.

2) Not sure what the name is - but it's a sit spin where the skater is completely compact at the ground, like a ball - it's like the opposite of the hyper-flexible spins, it's a spin for non-flexible people.

3) moves where the raised foot is bent back - I've seen Evgenia do it for spiral sequence and spins - it's unattractive

sc8

On the Ice
"I" spin is 99% of the time ugly, especially when the skaters can't really do the "I" split.

YES! YES! YES! It is usually horrible. The two pretty one are Sasha Cohen and Julia, that I recall. I don't recall any others that I thought, "wow, that's pretty." Even some of Sasha's and Julia's weren't great if their facial expression made it look weird! I'm sure there are others who did it well, but it is so often horrible that I'd prefer not to see it.

I don't like the spin where skaters crunch down in a forward tuck and their spine sticks up in the air. I'd much rather see a single position sustained and centered than all the change positions.