Did sit spins get lower? | Golden Skate

Did sit spins get lower?

silverlily1

On the Ice
I've been watching some older skating content, and I'm now wondering if the sit spin requirements of the past required much less "sit" than now? Looking back to the 80s and 90s, basic sit spins being performed by olympians and world champions were at best bottom of the leg parallel to the ice and now my coach says expectation is that the top of the leg will be parallel to the ice, and most high level competitors now seem to show that. Has the standard changed?

Note: I'm not referring to rifle/pike position spins - I understand that those are a different variation. Just referring to the basic position.

skatingguy

On the Ice
I've been watching some older skating content, and I'm now wondering if the sit spin requirements of the past required much less "sit" than now? Looking back to the 80s and 90s, basic sit spins being performed by olympians and world champions were at best bottom of the leg parallel to the ice and now my coach says expectation is that the top of the leg will be parallel to the ice, and most high level competitors now seem to show that. Has the standard changed?

Note: I'm not referring to rifle/pike position spins - I understand that those are a different variation. Just referring to the basic position.
I don't think the requirement has changed, but prior to IJS it was a lot harder to know whether a spin counted because it was up to each judge to determine whether the spin met the basic requirements, and then deduct accordingly from their score.