2016 Team Challenge Cup - Day 1 | Page 25 | Golden Skate

2016 Team Challenge Cup - Day 1

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
So the points do carry over? Some say they don't

I re-read the site; the explanation seems different than what I'd remembered from reading previously.
I was wrong; I'll edit my post.
The short program scores were used to determine the "singles team champion" (and also to give a $5,000 bonus to the top female and top male score), but WILL NOT be added to Saturday's FS scores for the overal TEAM title.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Question of the day:

Has any non-asian skater gone through growth as well as Radionova did? Ever? Remember that she is still the most stable Russian woman on the senior scene since Irina Slutskaya and has the most major competition medals.

She can still earn 60+ even with a bad skate. Lets see how well Medvedeva does next season, Armenian (and Caucus women in general) aren't exactly known for being thin and lean.

/endrant.

It doesn't matter how well Medvedeva does next season, at this point even Anna can stay ahead of Elena.

At the same time it's not the end of the world, she is still a huge talent in a transitional season: she needs to work on her posture, get cleaner some jumps and choose better programs for the next season, that's it.

DannyCurry

On the Ice
I didn't watch all the performances but from what I saw :

-Evgenia MEDVEDEVA : Goddess ! :love:

-Gabrielle DALEMAN : Breathtaking 3toe-3toe (massive and light at the same time)
-Roberta RODEGHIERO : Ok performance. The second 3toe looked UR to me though.
-Rika HONGO : I didn't watch the whole program because I just can't stand her skating. Ok combo.

-Michal BREZINA : Messy but still cute.
-Shoma UNO : Absolutely terrific performance :rock: I didn't see UR on his landing of the quad flip but I'd need to check his take-off in slo-mo. Still, a very nice attempt. If I saw it correctly, he attempted the jump at least 3 times in the warm-up and failed twice so props to him for nailing it in the program.
-Nam NGUYEN : Really slow and tentative. Boring music, uninteresting program.

-Boyang JIN : Insane quad lutz again :eek:
-Jason BROWN : Really unflattering costume. I didn't really like the program but good to see him back.
-Sergei VORONOV : Poor performance. Unfortunate cuz I think the program has potential.

-Elizabet TURSYNBAEVA : Solid skate.
-Ashley WAGNER (Maé's "favorite girl" !) : Superb 3flip-3toe, airy and smooth as butter. Great performance :hap10:
-Elena RADIONOVA : I will refrain myself from bashing her too harshly. Let's just say that when the least awful part of her program is Lara Fabian's song, it says something hahaha.

Last edited:

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Basically, apart from Medvedeva (fabulous as always) and Rodeghiero, Team Europe bombed the Day 1. :laugh: :slink:

Yup, I felt a little devastated when I woke up and saw those results :cry: But then I'm super happy for Shoma & Denis! These two has shown they can slay after not that great WC. 2018 Olympics in Men become less and less predictable. And I'm sure Yuzuru will add that quad loop next season, he must catch up to Shoma now :biggrin:

winky97

Medalist
Radionova really hates Evgenia. Even here. Look at that: https://youtu.be/78pqZaQz-j8?t=4m56s What's her problem?

I think she was actually heading out to get ready for her performance. They were seen hanging out in Boston, sometimes just the two of them together. If Elena really hated Evgenia she likely would not hang out with her.

That being said, so what if one if one of them do not like they other? They are all human with their different personalities, which do not always mesh. Does not mean anything is wrong with either of them.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Why not ? It's an official ISU event, and it's a competition. And men and women do short and long programs as in any other ISU completion.

As I explained above (post #469 on p. 32), TCC is not an official ISU event in the same sense that JGPs (for example) and WTT are official ISU events.
If you look at the listings on the official ISU calendar (and//or at the respective event pages for TCC and WTT on the ISU site), the difference is clear.

And TCC is not part of the Challenger series.

TCC is an ISU-recognized event in the same sense that Gardena Spring Trophy (for example) and many other comps are ISU-recognized events. But scores from Gardena and other comps like it do not count for official ISU PBs.

All of that said, I will repeat that I am not 100% sure ... could be wrong.
But my two cents are that I highly doubt that TCC scores will count for official ISU SBs or PBs.

When the ISU received queries on Twitter whether it would provide streaming of TCC, the ISU's pointed reply was that TCC is a US Figure Skating comp.

My interpretation of the subtext from @ISU_Figure was something like, "You're barking up the wrong tree. TCC is not the ISU's comp -- so no reason that we would be streaming it. You should be asking US Figure Skating about streaming."

Last edited:

temadd

Final Flight
And she didn't. She looked only in her phone. And then, 2min will help her better prepare? I doubt.

At all other competitions, skaters as a rule do not watch their fellow competitors. It's part of the mental preparation. It can really get into your head to watch a competitor skate well. So I imagine it's difficult for these skaters to be required to sit and watch while they are trying to keep in the right state of mind. I am sure she was getting anxious sitting there and just wanted to leave so she could prepare herself. As a competitive athlete I totally get it. Otherwise, I would not read into it any further.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
I think it's rather obvious that Radionova doesn't like Medvedeva. Medvedeva is trying to be friendly. The scenes after Medvedeva's skate and after Radionova's skate speak for themselves imho. And I think Radionova doesn't look that pretty when she's pissed off and rude. I can see that these are difficult times for her but someone should tell her that, as an athlete, she is a role model und should at least try to be friendly to her teammates.

Krislite

Medalist
I wonder if she can do a Lz cleanly? If she can.....perhaps....maybe she can. Because that was a BEAUTIFUL skate.

What she needs is only time. Given her consistency and now World title, that PCS will creep up just enough to grab the SP record.

By the way, with her 77.56 in the SP, she needs 151.01 in the LP to break the overall score record of 228.56.

She just might do it given how generous the scoring is in this competition.

Layback11

Record Breaker
I think it's rather obvious that Radionova doesn't like Medvedeva. Medvedeva is trying to be friendly. The scenes after Medvedeva's skate and after Radionova's skate speak for themselves imho. And I think Radionova doesn't look that pretty when she's pissed off and rude. I can see that these are difficult times for her but someone should tell her that, as an athlete, she is a role model und should at least try to be friendly to her teammates.

Look. I get that she might be a little standoffish after she just completely imploded and show that a little, but we always forget that these are teenagers. Elena is only 17, and heaven only knows how moody 17 year olds can get. It doesn't really help that Elena has a very expressive face, which makes it harder to hide frustration. I don't think she hates anyone or was purposely trying to be rude, but if she was just involuntarily lapsing into moody teenager mode, it might seem that way.

However, if I was a teenager and on track to win pretty much everything and then a younger girl from the same country as me came in and completely dominated, I would probably not like her all that much. Not saying that is what's happening here, but that is how I would probably feel if I were in Elena's position.

xibsuarz

Record Breaker
What she needs is only time. Given her consistency and now World title, that PCS will creep up just enough to grab the SP record.

By the way, with her 77.56 in the SP, she needs 151.01 in the LP to break the overall score record of 228.56.

She just might do it given how generous the scoring is in this competition.

If she does it...will it count? Because the SP and FS in this competition are separate segments...

badknees

Medalist
As I explained above (post #469 on p. 32), TCC is not an official ISU event in the same sense that JGPs (for example) and WTT are official ISU events.
If you look at the listings on the official ISU calendar (and//or at the respective event pages for TCC and WTT on the ISU site), the difference is clear.

And TCC is not part of the Challenger series.

TCC is an ISU-recognized event in the same sense that Gardena Spring Trophy (for example) and many other comps are ISU-recognized events. But scores from Gardena and other comps like it do not count for official ISU PBs.

All of that said, I will repeat that I am not 100% sure ... could be wrong.
But my two cents are that I highly doubt that TCC scores will count for official ISU SBs or PBs.

When the ISU received queries on Twitter whether it would provide streaming of TCC, the ISU's pointed reply was that TCC is a US Figure Skating comp.

My interpretation of the subtext from @ISU_Figure was something like, "You're barking up the wrong tree. TCC is not the ISU's comp -- so no reason that we would be streaming it. You should be asking US Figure Skating about streaming."

Thank you very much Golden411 for all the detailed info on this competition.
I have been to the TCC site several times to try to understand this comp. but this kind of detailed info that you have is not on their site.
I'm always in awe of folks that can find out information as well as those that post video's so quickly!

So, I will suck it down that your posts make me feel rather like a school child that didn't read all of the text the first time and should have remembered and memorized where to find the info that has already been posted!
I guess this means I should go to remedial TCC class after school! Sign me up plz!

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker

Maybe I'm just very blind - but what about this scene after Elenas skate looks like she doesn't like Evgenia? There is nothing happening in there between them. :scratch2:

And I second what Layback11 said, it would be understandable if Elena had a hard time really getting along with Evgenia given the overall situation, no matter how nice a girl Evgenia is. As long as she isn't rude to Evgenia, not being her best friend is fine. All of these girls are under tons of pressure, they have huge expectations themselves and work hard for this, so not everyone can be good friends with a rival. And I don't see why athletes shouldn't be allowed to be honest about it if they're pissed with themselves. Because that's what Elena looks like to me.

solani

Record Breaker
Country
Austria
Look. I get that she might be a little standoffish after she just completely imploded and show that a little, but we always forget that these are teenagers. Elena is only 17, and heaven only knows how moody 17 year olds can get. It doesn't really help that Elena has a very expressive face, which makes it harder to hide frustration. I don't think she hates anyone or was purposely trying to be rude, but if she was just involuntarily lapsing into moody teenager mode, it might seem that way.

However, if I was a teenager and on track to win pretty much everything and then a younger girl from the same country as me came in and completely dominated, I would probably not like her all that much. Not saying that is what's happening here, but that is how I would probably feel if I were in Elena's position.
I agree and I can understand that these are difficult times for her and I mentioned that above. I just wrote it because some posters earlier wrote that everything is fine and that they are getting along well. They're not. But somebody should tell her that she should not act that way. Coach, parents, where are you? You just don't cut your fellow competitors. And I wouldn't have mentioned it if it hadn't happened before. It makes her look bad, the judges might have already noticed it. She looks like a sour loser. Especially when she hugs the other teammates. That shows that she's not only angry at herself. I could understand and justify that.

Maybe I'm just very blind - but what about this scene after Elenas skate looks like she doesn't like Evgenia? There is nothing happening in there between them. :scratch2:
Yes, nothing, she's not even looking at her and Kolyada (he might be collateral damage). And she hugs and smiles at Brezina, Dean and Buckland.

Last edited: