Who Has the Best Triple Loops? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Who Has the Best Triple Loops?

TryMeLater

On the Ice
Definitely Kostner. Wagner also has a nice strong 3L. I also recall Yuka Sato's being pretty good - she was one of the few to actually do a 3L as a pro skater (most opted for a salchow or toe loop -- or a flip/lutz if you were Kristi :biggrin: ).

I also loved Chan's 3L from this past season... great control, and not an "expected" transition. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAI44TaFIHs#t=3m35s

Triple loops aren't usually the jump of choice in an exhibition, so it's nice to see skaters like Machida/Kostner who show it. IMO, it's a difficult jump to make it look pretty (lots of skaters come down on the toe or have a wonky landing... compared to other triples, you don't see much of running edge out of it. When I watched programs in the 90s, the moment of a 3L was always a weird one for me because many skaters looked so tentative going into it... like, "Uh oh... and here's the triple loop...."... and looked uncomfortable executing it.

And a Triple Axel if you were Midori Ito.

desertskates

Medalist
Maria Butyrskaya was the triple loop queen back in the day. Her air position was glorious. Right now I like Ashley's. She gets so much spring.

temadd

Final Flight
Mao Asada's 3 Lo is so effortless. I also enjoy Ashley Wagner's traveling 3s into 3Lo. The one she did in her LP at worlds was beautiful.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

Very nice. :) OGM-worthy 3L-3L. ;)

I think however, my ideal triple loop really has "spring" to it. 3L tends to be "spun", but truly great 3Ls show the actual power in a skater's take-off/landing leg. It's the only jump that isn't assisted with a swinging-through free leg or a vaulting pick, so it really requires a great deal of strength, timing, and control.

FlattFan

Match Penalty
Carolina has the best loop mainly because she usually put some transitions into the loop jump and it's always a big jump.
Mao has the most effortless loop.
Midori should be the queen of loop. 30 years ago, she was already doing spread eagle into the loop. It wasn't required then, not even required now. She just did it because she could. That's how awesome Midori is. Imagine the current girls doing something different and difficult for a change. Not!

Uclk

Spectator
Oh my. I am totally overwhelmed by the responses. Thank you, koatcue, psusanne, HYBobo, karne, largeman, lyverbird1, Blades of Passion, sunnystars, Dr. Jenn, ioanna, sarama, Krunchii, elbkup, SarahSynchro, 4everchan, CanadianSkaterGuy, Crossover, TryMeLater, jcoates, jenaj, matmuh, mrrice, desertskates, temadd, gourry, gkelly, and FlattFan!:laugh:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Carolina has the best loop mainly because she usually put some transitions into the loop jump and it's always a big jump.
Mao has the most effortless loop.
Midori should be the queen of loop. 30 years ago, she was already doing spread eagle into the loop. It wasn't required then, not even required now. She just did it because she could. That's how awesome Midori is. Imagine the current girls doing something different and difficult for a change. Not!

That pretty much defines Midori. ;)

As far as the current girls, Ashley does a spread eagle directly into her 3L and I believe Medvedeva does a LFO-LBO rocker into hers?