2016 Skate Detroit | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2016 Skate Detroit

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Unlike the USA, where the men's #1 changes from time to time, basically for the last 8 years (Well minus the season-long break Chan took), the #1 Canadian had constantly been Patrick Chan. Which basically meant a fight for the silver medal.

So basically what you're saying is that if someone defeats Patrick, that would get them in;). It's a long way to go. Who knows? Elladj won one of the first Challengers last season over three guys who finished in the top ten at Worlds. Season openers are such a who-the-heck-knows kind of event, mostly about trying out new material. Athletes who keep an old program--like Keegan did here--have an advantage. But he did himself a solid. And that's what he needs. Solid, solid performances. Especially after Nationals and Skate Canada last season--a spot he earned via his summer performances last year. None of the other guys got the job done everywhere last season either. Kevin--who finished the highest behind Liam at Nationals--didn't get the technical minimums in two late season events. Roman won his first JGP, then bombed along with everyone else at the JGPF. Nicolas probably had the steadiest season. And Liam earned that place at Worlds, despite not taking it. I'd like to think Nam will make a solid comeback, but he'll definitely have to earn it this time. His SC performance was really pretty good, but after that . . . So Keegan should absolutely go out there and fight for it along with everyone else.

Last edited:

tulosai

Record Breaker
I haven't been able to watch the rest live but I'm excited to be here for the pairs! I've been wanting to see Denney and Frazier compete again for a very long time...

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I haven't been able to watch the rest live but I'm excited to be here for the pairs! I've been wanting to see Denney and Frazier compete again for a very long time...

Thumbs up to @JeroenPrinsNL being on the tech panel. He's the one who was tweeting a lot of news from the ISU Congress.

Best to Haven and Brandon :yay:.

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So basically what you're saying is that if someone defeats Patrick, that would get them in;). It's a long way to go. Who knows? Elladj won one of the first Challengers last season over three guys who finished in the top ten at Worlds. Season openers are such a who-the-heck-knows kind of event, mostly about trying out new material. Athletes who keep an old program--like Keegan did here--have an advantage. But he did himself a solid. And that's what he needs. Solid, solid performances. Especially after Nationals and Skate Canada last season--a spot he earned via his summer performances last year. None of the other guys got the job done everywhere last season either. Kevin--who finished the highest behind Liam at Nationals--didn't get the technical minimums in two late season events. Roman won his first JGP, then bombed along with everyone else at the JGPF. Nicolas probably had the steadiest season. And Liam earned that place at Worlds, despite not taking it. I'd like to think Nam will make a solid comeback, but he'll definitely have to earn it this time. His SC performance was really pretty good, but after that . . . So Keegan should absolutely go out there and fight for it along with everyone else.

Pretty much. Of course there have been surprises that happened in the world of figure skating. Like Takahito Mura beating Javi at 2014 SC.

And yes I do remember Elladj winning his CS event last year as it happened the same day I had my flu shot and went to a Nats game with my dad right afterwards (And also I brought my psychology notes to do some studying/writing study guides for a test). As I kept going on Safari on it to look it up.

To sum it up. It'll be a battle regardless.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I actually found that de la Mora/Kurdukov wee quite pleasant to watch, somewhat bizarre music cut aside... obviously there is a lot they need to work on on the tech side, and it's obvious even on the video that they could use more speed but there is a nice smoothness and ease to a lot of their movements.

tinlizzie

Final Flight
I actually found that de la Mora/Kurdukov wee quite pleasant to watch, somewhat bizarre music cut aside... obviously there is a lot they need to work on on the tech side, and it's obvious even on the video that they could use more speed but there is a nice smoothness and ease to a lot of their movements.

I like the way they look together too.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
and i will end with comments from earlier skaters but I couldn't not comment on Nicolas's Elvis... this program can break the house down in a few months.... the kid has potential as huge as his 3A.... a great showman... love him.

JuliaHols

On the Ice
Omg I just watched Roman....
Three falls!!! And as if that isn't bad enough, plus a pop on the flip and a stepout on the Salchow 😭 whyyyy awww he looked so upset and in pain. Im sure three falls must hurt

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
Starting order of the senior pairs

(from Sylvia's Unseen Skaters blog)
de la Mora/Kurdukov
Fujimoto/Barsi-Rhyne (King & I musical, incl. “I Have Dreamed” vocal)
Haven Denney/Brandon Frazier (Somewhere in Time soundtrack)
Jones/Reagan (CAN)
Calalang/Sidhu
Suzaki/Kihara (JPN) /
Bergdolt/Addison
Liu/Johnson /
Pfund/Santillan
AnnaMarie Pearce/Mark Magyar (HUN)
WD: Ono/Killing (JPN), Green/Newby-Estrella, Weinberg/Fernandez

tulosai

Record Breaker
Ooooh that was really lovely! After such a serious injury as she had it's just really cool to see Haven and Brandon skate like this :love:

sunnystars

#teamotherskaters
Record Breaker
That was lovely (although a wee bit generic)
-likely needs some more work with the jumps
-the rest are of good quality
-cool unique lifts

Greta

On the Ice
I am so glad to see Denney and Frazier back with a great skate and a really enjoyable program. Those lifts!