How to word the music selection | Golden Skate

How to word the music selection

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
I can't find any more appropriate location for this question, so: My partner and I skate at a private social/sports club with a rink, as opposed to a skating club at a municipal arena. Many of the younger skaters do belong to Skate Canada clubs also and just use our rink for practice, but it's not affiliated with Skate Canada or the ISU. On December 30 there's going to be an afternoon-to-evening family party at the club in general for members only. The skaters have been asked to perform something and it will be shown on cameras throughout the building as well as for those who drop in to the rink and watch. We were asked to provide 1) our names, and 2) our music choice, to be shown as a chyron on the screens. We're providing a little hybrid pairs/FD program to Nocturne, by Secret Garden, but a cover version by Celtic Woman. What's the shortest wording that would provide the music information? :scratch2:(We're told copyright isn't an issue in this case, but we'd still like to be accurate at least.) :thank:

https://youtu.be/oYM0gatEuS4?si=VsNfyaW-U6BV>

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I can't find any more appropriate location for this question, so: My partner and I skate at a private social/sports club with a rink, as opposed to a skating club at a municipal arena. Many of the younger skaters do belong to Skate Canada clubs also and just use our rink for practice, but it's not affiliated with Skate Canada or the ISU. On December 30 there's going to be an afternoon-to-evening family party at the club in general for members only. The skaters have been asked to perform something and it will be shown on cameras throughout the building as well as for those who drop in to the rink and watch. We were asked to provide 1) our names, and 2) our music choice, to be shown as a chyron on the screens. We're providing a little hybrid pairs/FD program to Nocturne, by Secret Garden, but a cover version by Celtic Woman. What's the shortest wording that would provide the music information? :scratch2:(We're told copyright isn't an issue in this case, but we'd still like to be accurate at least.) :thank:

https://youtu.be/oYM0gatEuS4?si=VsNfyaW-U6BV>
Nocturne-Celtic Woman

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
Nocturne-Celtic Woman
So I don't need to get the composer in there? My brain got stuck on the grammatically awkward "Nocturne by Secret Garden by Celtic Woman" and my partner (who owns a small part of a racehorse -- "its left ear", he says) said that sounded like a horse's pedigree. Your concise version will do nicely, thank you.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
So I don't need to get the composer in there? My brain got stuck on the grammatically awkward "Nocturne by Secret Garden by Celtic Woman" and my partner (who owns a small part of a racehorse -- "its left ear", he says) said that sounded like a horse's pedigree. Your concise version will do nicely, thank you.
If you want to get Secret Garden in there, add a word:

Nocturne by Secret Garden performed by Celtic Woman or
Nocturne: Secret Garden performed by Celtic Woman

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
If you want to get Secret Garden in there, add a word:

Nocturne by Secret Garden performed by Celtic Woman or
Nocturne: Secret Garden performed by Celtic Woman
Depending on the number of characters I'm allowed, that would work, or my daughter (a violinist) suggested Celtic Woman: Nocturne, by Secret Garden. Probably no one taking a casual look on the club's monitors is even going to read this. I think I'm only fussing because, to someone trained in classical music, "nocturne" is such a common title and the emphasis is on the composer.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Depending on the number of characters I'm allowed, that would work, or my daughter (a violinist) suggested Celtic Woman: Nocturne, by Secret Garden. Probably no one taking a casual look on the club's monitors is even going to read this. I think I'm only fussing because, to someone trained in classical music, "nocturne" is such a common title and the emphasis is on the composer.
I like your daughter's suggestion. It is the shortest one that makes sense and includes Secret Garden.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
You could use italics which are commonly used for titles. A dash with the composer first and the arranger/performer second (cover)

Nocturne, Secret Garden-Celtic woman

Of course if you have more characters, Nocturne, Secret Garden perf. (or performed) by Celtic Woman

PS, I would put Nocturne as a first word for sure. Celtic woman in first position can be confusing as people could see it as the composer even, the title of the piece of music. (like Pretty woman and so many other titles with woman in it HA!)

Last edited:

Diana Delafield

Frequent flyer
Medalist
Country
Canada
You could use italics which are commonly used for titles. A dash with the composer first and the arranger/performer second (cover)

Nocturne, Secret Garden-Celtic woman

Of course if you have more characters, Nocturne, Secret Garden perf. (or performed) by Celtic Woman

PS, I would put Nocturne as a first word for sure. Celtic woman in first position can be confusing as people could see it as the composer even, the title of the piece of music. (like Pretty woman and so many other titles with woman in it HA!)
We don't get to specify things like font or punctuation, as far as I know. It's just information for whoever at the club does the filming of something going on in the building which is then shown on monitors scattered around. They do it for tennis matches on their courts, for instance, or their own swim meets. Not much seating for spectators. They're more into participation.

I see your point about putting Nocturne first. I've used the music before in a pro-am ballroom competition, a dancesport program where you get to use your own music and choreography, but my teacher and I used Secret Garden's own version then. It was too slow and quiet for skating, though. We found the Celtic Woman version had more swing to it. Others are using music with longer titles and composer names, so I think we can squeeze in a few clarifying words -- which I doubt anyone will read anyway. I remarked to my partner today that not everyone reads the information given on the screen when skaters are introduced at broadcast competitions, but I guess they're trying to emulate that. I said as long as they don't put our ages as well as our names, I'm happy :wink: