2017 U.S. Nationals Championship Free Dance | Page 16 | Golden Skate

2017 U.S. Nationals Championship Free Dance

Meoima

Match Penalty
But again, that's a matter of taste right? I happen to like it better than Fix You...
(and I'm okay with being in the minority for that)
Their getting decent scores for it....
Other teams are also getting pretty much decent scores for their sleepy music... I like watching the Shibs. But if you ask me, this is ice dance, they need to be more outstanding.

mylifeback

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Really proud of Chock & Bates for laying it down with two amazing performances. I felt they should have won gold, but what do you do. This will give them a lot of confidence going forward this season. Love the new costumes, too.

My heart breaks for Madi & Zach, although the fall wouldn't have been the difference. It was sad to see her crying, and Kaitlin & Jean-Luc, wow, I don't know what to even say. They are such a lovely, delicate couple on ice and a joy to watch. Heartbreaking.

Congrats to Ellie & Alex, though. They've had a great debut season, so a fourth place finish is amazing for them!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Other teams are also getting pretty much decent scores for their sleepy music... I like watching the Shibs. But if you ask me, this is ice dance, they need to be more outstanding.

Well, i hope it will come together at 4CC and Worlds. They have time to work on it for sure.

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
I'm so tired of this criticism because they have made such strides. Even from GPF to here, look at the performance quality and projection from Maia particularly in the short dance. In the free, yeah they were a bit tight, but I at least didn't feel like it wasn't a skate I wasn't welcome to watch, they have opened up so much and you can tell that the FD means a lot to them and they're sharing it with you. Whatever man. I'm still too worked up over H/B.

So did D/W lol.
There's always gonna be people who don't appreciate nuance ;)

But really, as someone who has followed them since their earliest JGP days way back in '07, I can't even begin to tell you how much I agree. They have opened up and grown SO much and being family they have learned to express that in ways other than romantic/sexy love stories which has been the de facto standard of ice dance. I love good ol' soviet-style drama myself, but it takes something special to put out the sort of skate that radiates dignity and poise like they do.

Alright I'm done gushing for now... I'm still sobered by Madi's tears...

lauravvv

Medalist
Country
Latvia
V/M were scored at 113, which is around 3 point lower than what they score internationally for worse programs. They missed some levels, apparently.
Huh :confused:? Virtue/Moir scored 118.79 at Nationals, not 113. They got level 2 for their spin although there were no obvious problems, level 3 for one of their step sequences, and a one point deduction for time violation (they did not finish behind their music, so, either they must have taken a second too long to get into their starting positions or the slight changes to the music made it a bit too long - I did not count, though). With a level 4 spin and without the deduction (like Chock/Bates) their score would have been 3 points higher, that is, 121.29.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
To me, C/B have athleticism and are dynamic when on and look like they're working out there. H/D have easy-to-see chemistry with easily understood lovey-dovey programs set to easy music that people like and powerful skating. The Shibs have emotional depth, nuance, and subtlety if one appreciates introversion and introspective modes of expression coupled with very precise and technically clean technique (blade and above the blade) that general skating fans don't quite understand why it is such a big deal.

rosy14

Final Flight
NBC's beliefs of wanting the ladies in Primetime because that's what the casual fan likes, even if Ice Dance is currently more successful for the US.

That's ridiculous. And next year at Olympics competitions will start in the morning (in the morning !) because so wants NBC.

andromache

Record Breaker
I've always liked the Shibs, and I rooted for them when they were underdogs. Now that they are favorites, it's easier for me to be critical :laugh:. I wish they skated with a little more abandon, and I think they were able to give more of that appearance of abandon (while still being technically flawless and precise) with the Fix You program. There's also some of that in their SD this season. But I think the FD this season is effective and very well-done, but, well, kind of a yawner. I assume they've got something more special planned for next year. (Not a fan of their Meryl/Charlie interviews, though I am fans of them as people and as skaters.)

I didn't like C/B when they were the favorites, but now that they aren't, I appreciate them more. It also helps that they've got interesting, unique material this season (whereas before I thought they were kind of generic). I kind of hate Bad to the Bone, but I like the movement and general feel of the SD. Their FD is a revelation. It sucks that it hasn't been well-received, which means they'll probably go back to more generic stuff next season.

To me, C/B have athleticism and are dynamic when on and look like they're working out there. H/D have easy-to-see chemistry with easily understood lovey-dovey programs set to easy music that people like and powerful skating. The Shibs have emotional depth, nuance, and subtlety if one appreciates introversion and introspective modes of expression coupled with very precise and technically clean technique (blade and above the blade) that general skating fans don't quite understand why it is such a big deal.

See? That's why ice dancing is so wonderful. Me, personally, I like athletic and dynamic, and I like lovey-dovey, and I like all nuance and technique, so I'm golden any way you go. :yes:

Barb

Record Breaker
I don´t know what to think about H/B, he is much better than her, but he will not to find a lighter partner than her.

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
Well said! Well said!

mylifeback

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Just noticed C/B's first step sequence got downgraded after the TES box disappeared. So they were in position for gold until the panel decided to downgrade. Interesting lol. But hey, this result will just fire up C/B and I think they'll work even harder for Worlds.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
[C/B's] FD is a revelation. It sucks that it hasn't been well-received, which means they'll probably go back to more generic stuff next season.

I'm starting to sound like a broken record lol, but I'm in the camp that believes their FD would have been really well-received if it was skated to a different piece of music. The choreo is fabulous. I love her Sasha Fierce face.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just noticed C/B's first step sequence got downgraded after the TES box disappeared. So they were in position for gold until the panel decided to downgrade. Interesting lol. But hey, this result will just fire up C/B and I think they'll work even harder for Worlds.

One thing about Igor's teams is that they don't fade at the end of the season. C/B struggled last season too and were counted out after losing their National title but they beat W/P and won silver at 4CC then bronze at Worlds.

bramweld

Record Breaker
One thing about Igor's teams is that they don't fade at the end of the season. C/B struggled last season too and were counted out after losing their National title but they beat W/P and won silver at 4CC then bronze at Worlds.

TBH I'm a bit disappointed with tonight's competition. All the programs seemed rather cautious, maybe due to the poor ice. I may be in the minority but I preferred the original FD from CB, their dance just seems too cluttered, too much is going on. The Shibs were sorta, very sorta monotonous, H/B were too, too sweet. My heart goes out to H/B, they seemed to be in utter shock at the end of it. The pewter medalists were a breath of fresh air . I hope they're able to all give better performances at 4CC :) Those that are selected that is :thumbsup:

Last edited:

meem

On the Ice
I found myself thinking, while watching Nationals: why do they pick such irritating music? I'd hate to listen to it day after day, for a year, while practicing. C/B's FD music this afternoon was so irritating that I finally hit the mute button so I could concentrate on their skating and not be distracted by that noise. I don't want to fall asleep while watching skaters perform to OTT subtle tunes (Shib sibs--that almost happened even though I love your skating). C/B weren't the only ones. There were others (I should've written the names down)...Amber Glenn's SP music had to be muted. Not a fan of this year's SP music for Ashley (but last year's Chin Chin was fantastic). I'm keeping the remote very close by for the rest of Nationals this weekend.

andromache

Record Breaker

IMO I think C/B are going to keep being held down internationally because there's too many US dance teams hovering near the podium. B/S have been getting an enormous push, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them nipping at the Shibs' heels by the Olympics. C/B will likely wind up behind them at Worlds this season, and maybe even behind W/P and/or C/L.

dcnative

On the Ice
waiting to see the dance on youtube with charlie talking. i think he is one of the best ice dance commentators with nathalie péchalat.

PLEASE tell me how I can listen to Nathalie. Even though my french isn't good, I will take my time and figure it out.