2017 U.S. Nationals Championship Free Dance | Page 18 | Golden Skate

2017 U.S. Nationals Championship Free Dance

Astrid56

Final Flight
Yeah, when I think downtrodden by panel teams, I think of C/B. See their scores from 2013-Fall 2016 even with major mistakes and falls.

Yeah, they did have major mistakes but they were also given low scores though not in the way you probably wanted. The fact is C/B were robbed in SD, you would think they would be closer in score to the Shibs, but the judges instead placed them a little ahead of H/D (really? H/D's SD had improved but that much???). It's also odd that their FD's step-sequence was downgraded at the last minute. Odd!

Last edited:

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
I will say it is nice to have the top three teams come from different coaching schools. And Madison Hubbell and Evan Bates were developed by Yaroslava Nechaeva and Yuri Chesnichenko when they were juniors and seniors with Hubbell/Donohue spending a considerable amount of time with Camerlengo/Krylova. With the top two Wheaton juniors moving up to seniors next year, it looks like we should be getting a lot of variety in American ice dance. I think that bodes well for Nationals in the future and for the further development of American ice dance as they are not relying on one training base to deliver world-quality teams, and the different coaching bases are showing they can produce top quality teams.

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I will say it is nice to have the top three teams come from different coaching schools. And Madison Hubbell and Evan Bates were developed by Yaroslava Nechaeva and Yuri Chesnichenko when they were juniors and seniors with Hubbell/Donohue spending a considerable amount of time with Camerlengo/Krylova. With the top two Wheaton juniors moving up to seniors next year, it looks like we should be getting a lot of variety in American ice dance. I think that bodes well for Nationals in the future and for the further development of American ice dance as they are not relying on one training base to deliver world-quality teams.

Also worth noting that Ellie P. started out in San Jose with Klimova, then trained at Wheaton with her previous partner before moving to Igor.

Last edited:

katha

On the Ice
Wow, I thought Chock/Bates were magical. You really see how hard they worked on that FD, it's much better now than it's been. Like the new costumes better as well, before it was too much black all the time combined with their SD costumes IMO. Thrilled for them that they got the scores to go with it and the audience reaction, too. I'm sure they'll feel much better about themselves now than after that disappointing GPF performance. :hap10:

jaylee

Medalist
I re-watched C/B's Skate Canada FD again, and I really prefer the original ending. The last lift and Madison's head rolls went perfectly with the beats of "under pressure". They moved up that lift to move the choreographed transition here and the head rolls just don't fit as well with the music. Eh, I just don't get it.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
Some performers reach out to us, some draw us in. It's all good. :yes:

on point, beautifully said!

it literally pains me, especially this particular season, that there is so much talk about teams being too robotic, shaming teams due to the way they are expressing or the worst one - that they stole from other teams and made a poor copy of someone else's program. I mean - I do get that we all have different tastes and different things speak to us, but I'd love to see more consideration in opinions and a better attempts/more time spent on 'getting teh bigger picture' of each team, instead of current and so frequent making judgements sorely on one performance of one program. If I had this way of assessment, I'd be detesting most of current top ice dance teams, but fortunately I actually try to reach beyond my not liking the program/not liking the expression/choreography/music etc.

As you pointed above - some teams reach out to us and yesterday Madison and Evan did that for me. Most of you probably know that I am not a big fan of this duo in general and as I appreciate them taking some major risks, it is a bit of hit/miss situation and lately they seem to have a sinusoide in outings, one good, then one worse. But yesterday - despite of my opinion that this FD is too busy, risky in expression in general and there are too much gimmick factor in it (but it's my general taste for programs) - I can't deny a technical maestry, flow and poise of that performance. Yes, they were a bit slower than usual (so were other teams as well), but the sharpness, crispness and almost aggressive attack in execution were all there and I think that this is what this FD needs to shine on its fullest. This was a first time it all clicked together for them - exceptional timing, execution of tech elements, fierceness in expression, seamless transitioning, even those new costumes elevated the performance I feel (on a side note, this type of dress looks amazingly on Madison and I wish she'd have one in similar cut in deep red/burgundy with more sparkle for next year's SD). I'm really glad they bounced back strongly from that GPF disappointment and hope they'll build on that, because they are an integral part of that diverse ice dance reality we have now and I do want to see all those teams at their best, regardless of my personal tastes and opinions.

And some teams are drawing us in, which Maia and Alex did for me. Yes, their performance yesterday was not their best I feel - to cautious, careful and there was no such tension building which I felt at GPF. Yes - it could be seen as lacking a bit of their usual sharpness and clinical quality in places. But that being said, it was still a drawing performance, a performance of program with so much thought put in it, so much personal input, effort expressed. I pointed this in many previous threads, but will repeat it now - I do get that it is easy to take this program of them, compare them to others and then judge it as robotic, boring, bland or expressionless, but it is a major injustice for me, looking from where Maia and Alex are coming with this program, what dancers and performers they are. For me, it is a motioned statement of their strenghts, experience and relationship/dynamics between them - there is that combination of subdued music, giving that tension-building effect to the tempo change and their clinical, minimal, thoughtful skating, an understated movement, quiet, but sharp and precise. Their softness, minimalistic approach is building for that final part. For me, their unity, almost 'mirroring' themselves, being one's another continuation is really exquisitely matched with that music. Being subdued and reserved in expression does not mean not having any expression at all, it is all about perception and a desire to dig deeper, at least it is what I'm doing.

Overall - my biggest emotion is about Kaitlyn and Jean-Luc, I am devastated for them, I honestly can't wrap my head around their catastrophe in FD...I just wish they won't be too much beating themselves, because it will not help anyone. They have to focus on next season, try their best as they have so much to offer

yuna13

On the Ice
PLEASE tell me how I can listen to Nathalie. Even though my french isn't good, I will take my time and figure it out.
She commments for French Eurosport. Unfortunately You can't find it on YouTube. Here what I can tell you this year she loves both programs of chock and bates. Last year she couldn't stop saying good thing about madison she didn't like their fd but still she said that people underestimated her. Clearly their fd is her fav this year. She also like the other usa team but she is less convinced by their programs. She is so good as a commentator cause she isn't afraid to say what she thinks even when she doesn't like something.

Last edited:

matcha

Medalist
World and 4CC Selections

ICE DANCE
2017 World Championships
Madison Chock and Evan Bates
Madison Hubbell and Zachary Donohue
Maia Shibutani and Alex Shibutani

Alternate 1 - Kaitlin Hawayek and Jean-Luc Baker
Alternate 2 - Elliana Pogrebinsky and Alex Benoit
Alternate 3 - Julia Biechler and Damian Dodge

2017 Four Continents Championships
Madison Chock and Evan Bates
Madison Hubbell and Zachary Donohue
Maia Shibutani and Alex Shibutani

Alternate 1 - Kaitlin Hawayek and Jean-Luc Baker
Alternate 2 - Elliana Pogrebinsky and Alex Benoit
Alternate 3 - Anastasia Cannuscio and Colin McManus

Nice to see H/B as first alternates.

mintx

On the Ice
I think it's funny that the 3rd alternate is different for 4cc and worlds. It's not like the 3rd alternate will go. Does anyone know the reasoning? Is it just an ego thing for the teams?

chameleon

On the Ice
I think it's funny that the 3rd alternate is different for 4cc and worlds. It's not like the 3rd alternate will go. Does anyone know the reasoning? Is it just an ego thing for the teams?
I need to check the current list of requirements, but getting named as alternates gives you better funding, so they usually give the 3rd alternate spot to different people.

rollerblade

Record Breaker
I re-watched C/B's Skate Canada FD again, and I really prefer the original ending. The last lift and Madison's head rolls went perfectly with the beats of "under pressure". They moved up that lift to move the choreographed transition here and the head rolls just don't fit as well with the music. Eh, I just don't get it.

The head roll move is the one where she's on Evan's back, swaying her head side to side, right? Will have to watch again when someone sabin posts his HD videos. I was watching Mr Zhangyu's stream and couldn't quite hear the music.

icekiwi

On the Ice
Chock & Bates were robbed of their Gold yesterday. The judges gave the Shibs undeservedly 3 points cushioning in the SD to ensure their win.

In other disciplines, the team/skater that produced two technically flawless, artistically enhanced and superbly performed programs, especially in the LP as it carries more marks due to more elements, are usually the overall winners. Unfortunately it was not so yesterday, it was obvious the judges want the Shibs to get the win.

icekiwi

On the Ice
Chock & Bates FD just blew me away - it was the FD of the evening!!!

Three words - just wow, wow, wow!!!

No choreographer dare to choreograph to 'Under Pressure' because the music itself is choppy, in bits and at times, loud lyrics in the background. It has to take someone like Christopher Dean to do it and he has produced a masterful choreography and Chock & Bates performed it with technical precision, passionate expression and overall superb execution of every movement and shape on the ice!

This FD is fresh, different, unique and FUN unlike the top three from the GPF who all had sublime melancholy monotonous music.

Everything is well thought out right down to the matching 'costumes' - love love love Maddie's biased cut dress and the colours. For some reason, the colours really matches the mood of the music - edgy and fun.

I also like the soft romantic changes in the middle of the program after the unison spins. This is one difficult program to skate to and to project the right expressions to but Maddie & Evan did a fantastic job! This program should be in the Top 3 come Worlds.

Last edited:

chloepoco

Medalist
Chock & Bates were robbed of their Gold yesterday. The judges gave the Shibs undeservedly 3 points cushioning in the SD to ensure their win.

In other disciplines, the team/skater that produced two technically flawless, artistically enhanced and superbly performed programs, especially in the LP as it carries more marks due to more elements, are usually the overall winners. Unfortunately it was not so yesterday, it was obvious the judges want the Shibs to get the win.

Chock and Bates were not robbed of anything. The Shibutani's earned their win.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So is this thread going to devolve into. "Chock and Bates were robbed" "No they werent!"

:laugh:

Anyway, I think the Shibs aren't taking their win for granted or see this as some sort of mandate of their status as U.S. No. 1. I think they did what they could and they will work on it for 4CC and Worlds.

VIETgrlTerifa

Record Breaker
So is this thread going to devolve into. "Chock and Bates were robbed" "No they werent!"

:laugh:

It means American ice dance is competitive and healthy. I remember back in the Lang/Tchernyeshev days and you had to pull teeth to get people to talk about American ice dancing.