2017 U.S. Nationals Championship Ladies FS | Page 54 | Golden Skate

2017 U.S. Nationals Championship Ladies FS

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
A big part of her crazy PCS marks this season was because she was the reigning world silver medalist. But she goes into this worlds as the national silver medalist losing to a skater who as you said hasn't slayed it internationally (not even once). USFSA may have shot themselves in the foot by sabotaging their biggest hope :palmf:

I don't think so. Ashley has her own reputation by now, you don't just lose it. She's silver here, by a small margin, not like she is 10th and they're sending her anyway. And once you get those PCS they hover around that number, more or less.
Karen on the other hand, well she's not going to have a pretty time if she goes in expecting to get the same treatment by the judges outside of the US and I don't see the point of propping her up this way but I do think it wasn't intentional, they miscalculated. Ultimately, I don't think it'll matter for Ashley. We'll see what happens to Karen. Mariah may turn out to be more reliable outside of the US.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
No Miraicle tonight. But she keeps fighting, and I keep faith. :eek:hwell:

Congrats Karen! :) Now since Gracie is going to the dogs on full throttle USFSA has apparently decided they need a new darling, and you are the chosen one. I wish you all the strength in the world, you will need it. P.S. I think you are awesome!

It takes incredible skills to always ends up in 4th or just missed the podium! That is my positive spin and I am sticking with it :eek:hwell:

andromache

Record Breaker
Really? All that talk in the media about how she deserved to go to Worlds and invoking the name of goddess Michelle Kwan in her interview and she's not even training right? Smh.
I kind of wonder if Frank might drop her then. Didn't he do that to one of his skaters before? I can't remember who.

Tim Goebel.

I hope Frank doesn't. I think it needs to be her decision to leave him. If he dumps her, it'll just feel like another thing Gracie has failed at rather than her taking control of her skating.

SkaterX

On the Ice
I'm so done with Gracie at this point. She shouldn't be at worlds. She either needs to prove herself or retire IMO.

carriecmu0503

On the Ice
What on earth does nationals have to do with Grand Prix slots?

Top 12 (in singles) at Worlds are guaranteed two GP slots. Mirai's 10th place finish at World's last year got her her 2 GP spots for this year. Mirai did not do that well on the GP this year, and will have no guarantee of two spots next year. She may only get one.

labgoat

Working on Costumes contest & REWATCHES
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am sorry - I only meant to point out the chance for all disciplines to have an Asian American champion. A first and something to be proud of. I guess my attempt at a pun did not come off as intended. I am pleased and impressed by all of them.

frida80

Record Breaker
What on earth does nationals have to do with Grand Prix slots?

is she? 4th is pretty good.

In order to be guarenteed two slots you need to have a two 12 finish at worlds. It's most like if your in the top 25 skaters in the world. If she doesn't go to at least 4CC, then she won't get the needed points to be in the top 25. After that it's a crap shoot. She did medal in the challenge series, which helps. But without a grap prix medal, she doesn't really have the points she needs to stay in the stop 25. She needed at LEAST 4CC to make certain she had her two spots. Now I have to start praying that they new comers don't push her too far done in the rankings. The US could always give her the SA slot, though. But that slot is highly coveted.

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
- Karen is my QUEEN. THOSE JUMPS. :eeking: THOSE EMOTIONS. (Girl needs to get those UR fixed asap if she wants to be a podium contender on the international stage though.)

- Gracie was deadpan the entire time, and I couldn't enjoy her at all but I felt so bad for her after those pops. I thought she would really get it together after her she nailed her combo...

- Caroline was beautiful and I stood up before her music even finished. She does need to work on her speed though. Very slow during her footstep seq.

- Mirai's program made me cry...seriously I had tears. The music is intense live, and knowing her past (and current) struggles...it just hit me kinda hard. Was so unexpected :cry:

- I'm so glad they score Ashley correctly, with her FS below Karen's. Her program leaves a lot to be desire....

- Tessa was hard to watch....the crowd was so supportive. She's so graceful but she needs to work on her expressions as well. It's not Gracie bad but still. And her speed could improve....but she's only 14. She has a lot of time.

- Everyone in the final group was overscored. And Bell a bit as well.

- Judging by the scores, most URs were ignored.:palmf:

Question now is...what will they do with the teams ? :scratch2:

Last edited:

brightphoton

Medalist
Your post is offensive and inaccurate.

No invasion whatsoever. Karen and Maia and Alex all were born in the U.S. They are as American as Ashley Wagner or Mariah Bell or Madi Chock or Evan Bates or Madi Hubbell or Zachary Donohue.

Come on, give lab some slack. Obvious he means "Asian-American."

Princessroja

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In order to be guarenteed two slots you need to have a two 12 finish at worlds. It's most like if your in the top 25 skaters in the world. If she doesn't go to at least 4CC, then she won't get the needed points to be in the top 25. After that it's a crap shoot. She did medal in the challenge series, which helps. But without a grap prix medal, she doesn't really have the points she needs to stay in the stop 25. She needed at LEAST 4CC to make certain she had her two spots. Now I have to start praying that they new comers don't push her too far done in the rankings. The US could always give her the SA slot, though. But that slot is highly coveted.

Top 12 (in singles) at Worlds are guaranteed two GP slots. Mirai's 10th place finish at World's last year got her her 2 GP spots for this year. Mirai did not do that well on the GP this year, and will have no guarantee of two spots next year. She may only get one.

Ah, right, I'd forgotten about the worlds placement rule. I was thinking of her international scores, which should still qualify her for spot(s). I was thinking, "But nationals has nothing to do with GP!" But nationals has to do with worlds, which has to do with GP.:drama:

chairmanmao

Final Flight
I fail to see why they shouldn't send Mariah over Mirai or Gracie. Honestly if she hits her programs especially her free in Helsinki she will score very well and over the national champ IMO.

bobbob

Medalist
A big part of her crazy PCS marks this season was because she was the reigning world silver medalist. But she goes into this worlds as the national silver medalist losing to a skater who as you said hasn't slayed it internationally (not even once). USFSA may have shot themselves in the foot by sabotaging their biggest hope :palmf:

? Ashley has always been getting pretty high PCS even before the Worlds in Boston... She received a PCS of 71.55 at the 2015 Grand Prix Final, and she usually gets high 60s-low 70s PCS even if she skates unclean programs. Karen's highest ever PCS was 60.79. Internationally Ashley's PCS would probably have been MORE than she got here while Karen's would be about 7 points lower, and Mirai and Mariah's about 2 points lower.

skatinggold

On the Ice
I think Gracie is going to get the World Spot. Her 4th place finish at last year's world and Frank's power in the USFS will allow this to happen. There is no way USFS is going to send two newbies to Worlds prior to the Olympics. Sorry Mariah, you are out!

NAOTMAA

Medalist
I am sorry - I only meant to point out the chance for all disciplines to have an Asian American champion. A first and something to be proud of. I guess my attempt at a pun did not come off as intended. I am pleased and impressed by all of them.

One thing I noticed was the number of Asian Americans competing on the men's and woman's side. It felt like for every two skaters one was Asian :laugh:

As an Asian American I feel like I missed a calling or something :rofl:

mrrice

Record Breaker
Well, Mariah in 3rd!!!!

I have to say, if they boot Mariah to put Gracie on the worlds team after the seasons they both have had, I am going to be so angry I can't see straight.

That will never happen. It has been quite clear from the way they've covered Gracie this season, that the USFSA is done holding Gracie up. I think her abbreviated pre-season training really upset them especially after her poor showing during the GP. I begged her to take the season off and train but, alas, I have no power. Gracie needs to keep her chin up and train the way she used to. It's not like she can't skate but, she has lost all confidence and I'd rather see her retire, than skate like this again. IMO, The last thing she needs is more time away from the rink. This time will either make or break her. We'll just have to wait and see.

Last edited:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
You're all overthinking it. Ashley was the bronze medalist last year at Nationals, and that turned out fine.

IMO, it's good that the judges will be forced to take Karen somewhat seriously despite her lack of international success. When she's on, she's on, and the quality of her elements and skating is on par with the best in the world (when her jumps are rotated).

Now Karen needs to get into the mindset of a National champion. In Alex's words, she must be **tch.

Who's Alex?

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
I think Gracie is going to get the World Spot. Her 4th place finish at last year's world and Frank's power in the USFS will allow this to happen. There is no way USFS is going to send two newbies to Worlds prior to the Olympics. Sorry Mariah, you are out!

Not happening this time. She's been a disaster all season long and Mariah actually had a good international showing.