2017 U.S. Nationals Championship Men FS | Page 39 | Golden Skate

2017 U.S. Nationals Championship Men FS

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
My boyfriend about Jason, while watching the press conference: "I like him. There's something endearing about him." Awww.

Jason was really gracious. I really liked that in his statement he took time to praise Nathan and Vincent for their performances.

The press conference was really great-- Jackie Wong's question about recovery and using the struggles to move forward was a really good one.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Max skated with no feeling tonight. None at all. He looked stressed and nervous. His mistakes were disruptive to the performance as well.

Nathan's PCS was inflated due to politicking and general excitement - but he also sold the program, has great skating skills, and there were moments of great choreography. The PCS disparity between Max and Nathan isn't that inappropriate, IMO. His ballet training really shows through.

It's not about the disparity. It's about the fact that some skaters get inflated to the gills and then Max is left to flop on the shore. He got no help, none whatsoever, but of course Nathan got super inflation and just SCREW YOU, USFS.

If they're going to inflate, they should inflate EVERYONE. If they're not going to inflate, then inflate NO-ONE. NOT THIS **&***^%&#%$^*#^%* HALF-ASSED WE'LL INFLATE THE PEOPLE WE LIKE AND MAX CAN GO FRACKING JUMP horse manure.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Pretty sure Jason's smile could make even the worst splatfest bearable.

I agree.
I thought Ross presented a good show in spite of the mistakes...

Actually honestly, there was a lot of satisfying things in the free skate -- I thought outside the top 4, Alexander and Jordan had great performances. Andrew was entertaining and Max put a good fight. And Emmanuel's 4S was really lovely.

Last edited:

Janice4th

On the Ice
Tornado warnings (I'm in Central Florida) kept interrupting the men's event. Our local station kept having the weatherman give detailed radar updates but thank goodness they didn't break in on Jason, Vincent and especially NATHAN who looked positively OLYMPIAN out there! Just WOW what a skate! Five quads - Nathan is the new Quad King!! Congrats Nathan, Vincent, and Jason! Excellent skates overall!

OT but you know your obsessed with figure skating when your incredibly annoyed rather than incredibly concerned with all of those tornado warnings LOL! :biggrin:

I REALLY missed Adam! He and Nathan are my favorites although I heart Jason too! :love: No more injuries this year please skate gods!

I called them. And sent WESH an email. I checked on the channel airing the NFL game - apparently the storms weren't serious enough for them to break into the game. The break-ins were pointless. They already had the scroll.

On topic - I just witnessed a skate that was just amazing. That was a Holy Cow moment, for sure.

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker
I agree.
I thought Ross presented a good show in spite of the mistakes...

Alex Johnson wins my "skate of the night" prize in terms of all around performance. Nathan was impressive with the quads, but Alex was still my favorite.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Alex Johnson wins my "skate of the night" prize in terms of all around performance. Nathan was impressive with the quads, but Alex was still my favorite.

I agree, Alex was definitely one of my top three for sure. I have to put Nathan there for sheer amazement and Jason for skating with grit. Ross (even with the mistakes -- I can just watch him skate, honestly), Grant (great week in the Hochstein/Zhang family) and Jordan would round out my top 6.

Speaking of which, just realized Jordan got top 10.

And Sean! How could I forget him. And Max put up a good fight!

Seriously, I'm just delighted.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
congrats foremost to Vincent and Jason - first held up the pressure like a seasoned champ and produced really good, engaging performance and Jason - considering all happened, his condition, I just want to salute him for his courage, mind strenght and determination to go out and give it all. Both were for me joys to watch, regadless of having or not having quads.

Moving to the man du jour...To be honest I'm a torn person considered what we saw today. From one side - crazy, out-of-this-world layout, so much attack, guts and control over it, it's really unbelievable seeing this kind of push happening. With this comes so much calm and coolness about the whole situation, no doubt for me that he's got a fighter and champion's mentality, so stable composure and that spark, that glint in his eyes, daring all FS world. There is still a kind of fresh vibe around him, because he is something else to be honest, and the way he develops is astonishing. But then, I'm scared at the same time, watching him, afraid of his health. Last year's experience was a warning, a picture of potential effect of his willingness to push things forward and I just wish this won't repeat in any form. I feel like his health - both physically and mentaly - should be a priority, if we want to see him competing for a long time.

Looking from pure FS fan perspective (not a 'panicked chicken' kind of viewer, wincing over e.g. Michael Marinaro's partnering skills and worrying over every quad attempt), Nathan SLAYED his stuff big time and everyone has to get down with it as he really mastered that technical side of performance, no one, no single shaming opinion can steal it from him. These voices about 'empty program' are kind of annoying (?) for me - this men is still young, still developing in his performance abilities, he's already taken STRIDES with this FS looking where it has been at the beginning of the season. How the proram can be named empty with so much packaging, I have no idea...

He is a real deal now and I have to get out my popcorn from tomorrow to see comments about Nathan's victory, particularly from Yuzuru die-hard fans...

Eislauf

On the Ice
While I appreciate Jason Brown's impeccable, lovely SS, it was much more exciting to watch Nathan attempt 5 quads - will he land them or won't he?! And after he lands one, the excitement ratchets up more for the next quad, and then the next jumping pass... Same for Vincent. whew!

Last edited:

msteach3

Medalist
Country
United-States
Nathan is so likeable. He seems like a kind and funny dude. It's going to be really fun to see over the next few years. I really really really hope he stays healthy. He could easily become a star in the US.

He's exactly what figure skating in the US needed. A cool kid who does super athletic things on the ice. A much needed shot in the arm for our sport.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
He's exactly what figure skating in the US needed. A cool kid who does super athletic things on the ice. A much needed shot in the arm for our sport.

They had a cool, marketable, friendly young man doing super athletic things on the ice that no other US man could do. they chose to trash him and chase the arteestes. Now that it's Chen, somehow it's all okay agian.

Plisskin

Medalist
The real winner of this entire Nationals was Rafael Arutunian. 1 Gold, 1 silver, and 1 bronze. He got a medal of each color. Lol. :laugh:

Eislauf

On the Ice
Nathan! When he's on the ice, you can see and 'feel' his strength, electrifying dynamism and steely confidence - physically and mentally.

As jammers has pointed out, this guy has the mental toughness, and no-nonsense attitude of a Champion. Ice in his veins.