2017 Russian Junior Nationals Ladies FS | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2017 Russian Junior Nationals Ladies FS

Elaine666

Final Flight
Sadly to see Alisa missed another chance:shame: Everytime I see her jumps I am like with this kind of techniques this girl wont go too far but I just adore her skating, such a sweetie:luv17:

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Konstantinova is, Fedichkina's problem is not consistency: she never makes more than one or two mistakes, her low scores are due to a low overall quality of the other elements, while for example skaters like Gubanova and Konstantinova can make up for falls/step-outs with huge GOEs/PCS

Low overall quality of the other elements / skating from Fedichkina? I beg to disagree with you. Well I agree that her jumps are not great or big I think the rest is more than good. I really
like her skating skills and she interpretes music well. Her speed and spins also improved in last year or so. I remember watching her first when she was just 13 and thinking that she's a joy to watch and so smooth while most skaters in her age leave me cold as well are ungainly. She's so sweet too! I can't fathom why some are so harsh for her, jeez.

I wish my country (Poland) could have even one skater on Fedichkina level anyway. Our junior ladies at best can land triple salchows and they can only dream about having her "low" abilities. The fact is that they don't have training level and coaching like in Russia though, deficient number of full year working rinks, FS clubs and there's barely
anyone learning or teaching that sport here left so no talents pool either.

Last edited:

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Low overall quality of the other elements / skating from Fedichkina? I beg to disagree with you. Well I agree that her jumps are not great or big I think the rest is more than good. I really
like her skating skills and she interpretes music well. Her speed and spins also improved in last year or so. I remember watching her first when she was just 13 and thinking that she's a joy to watch and so smooth while most skaters in her age leave me cold as well are ungainly. She's so sweet too! I can't fathom why some are so harsh for her, jeez.

I wish my country (Poland) could have even one skater on Fedichkina level anyway. Our junior ladies at best can land triple salchows and they can only dream about having her "low" abilities. The fact is that they don't have training level and coaching like in Russia though, deficient number of full year working rinks, FS clubs and there's barely
Figure skating in Europe just seems to be struggling :(

emzdeluxe

On the Ice

Your comments are on point..there are too many great junior skaters but Alisa is one of a kind..her musicality is comparable to Yulia and Gubanova..she's really something when she's on ice..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sweet Dream

Final Flight
Polina is a sheer beauty. Something about her gorgeous figure itself is a joy to watch. Maria, who is even taller, and very pretty too, does not have that magic appeal for some reason. Just figures crossed that she won't get injured again.

I think Polina is taller than Maria.

Glad to see that Konstantinova finally broke through the monopoly of one single coaching group at this Junior Nationals! :thumbsup:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I would love to see someone show me via video where Zagitova holds out any one position for over a second? :shocked:

There is a combo that sort of looks like a 3f-3lo where she almost holds out the 3lo landing with the music but it just so extremely fast into the next thing I'm not sure if it really counts as holding out the position or if I even saw what actually happened :laugh:

http://www.journaldugamer.com/files/2014/02/Mario-jumps-coin1.gif

Last edited:

Pracygr

On the Ice
True in fact i'm a fan of Sofia because she's such a fierce competitor but at the same time she is charming, and she deserves bigger scores in my opinion; also she's coming from Krasnojarsk which is in Siberia, and it's nice to see something not born in SPB or Moscow for once, how awesome it would be to see a skater coming from Vladivostok?
Actually there were lots of skaters originally not from SPB or Moscow at this competition. Zagitova is from Izhevsk. Tsurskaya is from Omsk. Trusova is from Ryazan. Fedichkina is from Rostov. Gubanova is from Tolyatti. Gulyakova is from Ekaterinburg. To think about it, most of the top is occupied by skaters coming from distant regions.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
I would love to see someone show me via video where Zagitova holds out any one position for over a second? :shocked:

Not possible I'm afraid... to be blunt, I don' think she even finishes any movement at all, so forget about holding it. She's a super talented girl, but that really bugs me. Like, usually, I don't care if someone doesn't have the best lines or doesn't finish their movements all that well (especially in Juniors), but Zagi really does it to a point where it irritates me. Add to that how unbalanced her programs are, and I'm really sad at how high her PCS are (even if they cram in a lot of difficult TR). In comparison, some of the other girls just don't get rewarded for what they do well.

Last edited:

lavoix

Match Penalty
Anna Tarusina 3Lo, 3Lz, 2A-1Lo-3F, 3F-3T, 3Lo-2T, 3S, 2A

Beautiful! Such nice arms, such precise movements, including razor sharp landings. But, boy, she is skinny.

117.60 underscored

Total 180 - 1st place so far but underscored.

Thank you for pointing this out. Tarusina I thought performed much better than many skaters ahead of her.

lavoix

Match Penalty
Given Russia's depth, it's disappointing to see Konstantinova on the team, there are definitely much better skaters than her. They just didn't deliver on the day, and Konstantinova earned her ticket to worlds based on the mistakes of others.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Having missed this live but watched most of the performances now, I have to say that I'm super impressed with Trusova. Not only do I think that her interpretation of the music is at a very high level for her age, her jumping technique and height were really impressive to me. I see that her Flip isn't quite as strong but it still isn't all that bad. Her Lutz is incredibly beautiful and I even hear she's been training 3A? And of course, she's still only 12 years old.

This is one skater whose junior GP debut I'm very excited for next season.

This was the first time I've ever seen her, maybe I should check her past performances out because apparently she's had some very decent skates and appears to be pretty consistent.

Also happy to see Tarusina in action.

Last edited:

RadioFan

Match Penalty
Given Russia's depth, it's disappointing to see Konstantinova on the team, there are definitely much better skaters than her. They just didn't deliver on the day, and Konstantinova earned her ticket to worlds based on the mistakes of others.

Seriously, I cant read this Stasya-bashing anymore!

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Quick wrap-up of what I saw yesterday.

Biggest surprises: Anna Tarusina and Alexandra Trusova. They are very different so that now I will know for sure who is who - their names sound similar. Not knowing them I used to be confused. Anna Tarusina is razor sharp. There were complaints about Zagitova's rushing (will come back later to it). Anna holds beautiful positions - her landings were pristine. It's such a pity about her injury - she could be the next big junior name this season already if she started from the clean slate with Zagitova back at the beginning of JGP series. My biggest concern is that she seems to weigh below 40 kilos - not sure if she can steer through puberty. For Trusova it's just too early to even think of puberty: she is just 12. Now she shows tremendous promise: speed, jumps, presence create the impression of a mature skater despite how tiny she is. We need to watch her. Next season she can easily replicate Zagitova's content with backloading of everything. And I would not be surprised if she goes beyond that.

Disappointments: Sofia Samodurova sort of lost it. I saw her 2 times before. She was anything but boring. This time I was bored. She did not seem to be ready to give it all. May be there is a reason. Alisa Fedichkina: can she be saved? She was so much fun to follow her last season. And she still has a distinctive personality. And she skates more or less clean. But her results cannot be motivating for her: just 11th place at junior nationals free skating program looks like a sentence. Nastya Gubanova: she is still magical but she lost her spark which she had during JGP even though she fell then. With healthy Tsurskaya it was about Gubanova versus Konstantinova who will get the third spot in the team. Unlike Stasya Nastya did not look as if she wanted to give it all.

Did not get it: Panenkova. A jumping machine. Everything else is very rough so far. I wish Gubanova could jump like that. Or vice versa Darya could skate the way Nastya skates. Well, she can work on it. Boyang was just a joke to watch: he still sort of is. But one cannot deny that he has been slowly turning into a complete skater rather than a jumping bean. Gulyakova - never saw her before and cannot say that she impressed me now.

Konstantinova: I said already after the senior nationals and will repeat now: she is different from the rest. You feel she is on the ice when she enters. Her speed especially during the first half can rival that of men's. One funny thing - I could not get it whose skating she reminds me of. My wife who watches may be one third of figure skating compared with me helped me: "she skates like Kolyada" she told me. I looked better: Yes! You got it! Chebotareva's school - that's what it is about. I wish she keeps skating like this: it's truly different. But Stasya, you should finally show a clean FS. She was almost there - she seemed very poised to hold to her 70 points after SP. And then the final triple and a flop, well, may be next time at the junior worlds. Those who say she is not competitive with Yuna Shiraiwa imo do not get it. Yuna S is a good skater but, sorry, her skating is generic. Yes, Stasya lost 9 points to her in FS in Dresden. But Yuna was clean and Stasya had 2 falls and time violation. Despite that her pcs were still higher than Yuna's. Clean Stasya will be a sure podium contender at junior worlds.

Tsurskaya: I am glad she is back with beautiful skating of beautiful programs. I am glad her pcs are higher than Zagitova's. In fact, they should be the highest in the junior world now as she is for me the best junior skater in the world pcs wise with Gubanova and Marin Honda competing for the second place. But I am worried about her jumps. If she brings them back in full glory she can compete with clean Alina through the quality of her jumps. If not her coming to senior world may be challenging. The only way to be in the Russian senior team now is to be an outstanding skater (which she is) and consistently be clean occasionally fighting for landings but not falling and not popping. But the third spot looks to be open with Radio and Sotskova struggling so far. Will be very entertaining to see a cat fight for it next year (I am sure "entertaining" is the last word the skaters themselves would think of).

Zagitova: She peaked at the senior Nationals. This time she rushed through the program. And I think it's not just about the different panel and Judges (I heard the same Lakernik and the same Shekhovtseva) - she got 69 pcs in Chelyabinsk and 67 here: she skated better in Chelyabinsk that's the first and the only reason. And then I started to worry. We all get used to Medvedeva being perfect, that she gets better and better as the season progresses. And as Alina has been appointed as "Medvedeva's heir" we assume she will show the same consistency and the same continuous improvement. May be it is a grave mistake. Zagitova had a terrible meltdown this season - Medvedeva never had meltdowns competing internationally. Then I am a bit worried if Alina can skate during the junior worlds the way she skated at the senior Nationals. Hope, my worries are futile.

Sorry, such a long post: going to Moscow on a train - 4 hours of free time. One last thing. I know it's whining, the whole thing is about diversity, about helping small feds to promote FS in unusual countries. But I saw this immense talent (even in the first group which was also about 7 triple programs with occasional clean 3Lz-3Ts) and that's even not it. For one thing, Lozko with out of this world spins had to stay at home. With all this talent there are just 3 spots in the junior national team. And next year even getting junior GP spots will turn into big fight with so many deserving candidates. It was not like that just a season ago. How not to waste all this talent?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks Samkrut for the perspective/updates. It's much appreciated. Hope the museum was a nice time :)

vorravorra

Record Breaker
Quick wrap-up of what I saw yesterday.
Konstantinova: I said already after the senior nationals and will repeat now: she is different from the rest. You feel she is on the ice when she enters. Her speed especially during the first half can rival that of men's. One funny thing - I could not get it whose skating she reminds me of. My wife who watches may be one third of figure skating compared with me helped me: "she skates like Kolyada" she told me. I looked better: Yes! You got it! Chebotareva's school - that's what it is about. I wish she keeps skating like this: it's truly different. But Stasya, you should finally show a clean FS. She was almost there - she seemed very poised to hold to her 70 points after SP. And then the final triple and a flop, well, may be next time at the junior worlds. Those who say she is not competitive with Yuna Shiraiwa imo do not get it. Yuna S is a good skater but, sorry, her skating is generic. Yes, Stasya lost 9 points to her in FS in Dresden. But Yuna was clean and Stasya had 2 falls and time violation. Despite that her pcs were still higher than Yuna's. Clean Stasya will be a sure podium contender at junior worlds.
It's interesting that Chebotareva's students have great toe jumps (even Pavel Vyugov who has only been with her for 1.5 seasons) - Trankov remarked on in during Senior Nationals, but tend to have trouble with the loop. And the lutz is their best jump, but Stasya is the only one who has the correct edge on the flip (she used to get "!" sometimes last season though).
As for a clean skate, Stasya has been improving from competition to competition. Let's hope this trend continues now that she is largely past "total body growth" as she put it in her interview.

RadioFan

Match Penalty
As for a clean skate, Stasya has been improving from competition to competition. Let's hope this trend continues now that she is largely past "total body growth" as she put it in her interview.

She has always some problems on one of her jumps. She missed it several times, but during her LP
at the Nationals (few weeks ago), she could build in that very jump at some later passage of the
program. On vk she told later, that she was "improvisating". But the notable is, that she didnt lose
total control of her program and went through with some changes and a got finally pretty good result.