Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Bitter:

Kwan at SLC

Plushenko's fall at SLC, in SP

Bereznaya/Sikh.'s scandal at SLC

Heartbreak:

Daisuke learned he couldn't go to Sochi OG...:cry: (But the Japanese Fed. sent him)

Plushenko's withdrawal at Sochi

Joannie Rochette finished her LP at Vancouver

Mao's LP in Sochi

Plushenko's SP in team event at Sochi OG. I was on my knee and shouted: YESSSSS!

Sweet :

Plushenko's LP at WCH 1998. He really wanted to do a quad he was only 15 but he could change the choreography :laugh:

Baiul's victory and exhibition at Lillehammer OG

Kulik's victory at Nagano OG

Candeloro's LP and bronze at Nagano OG

Plushenko's victory at Torino OG

Last edited:

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sweet: Ashley's World Silver Medal, Michelle's 5th World title, Michelle's entire 2002-03 undefeated season (redemption after the heartbreak in SLC)
Bittersweet: Michelle's FOG exhibition at SLC, Mao's Sochi LP

blackey

On the Ice
Sochi was a huge bitter memory for me. Yuna's silver of course, but V/M's silver almost made me wanna quit figure skating forever. The way they were robbed in SD, and how rarely happy they were after their performance with the contrary to their face after score was up, I'm still unbelievably bitter about this even after three years.

desertskates

Medalist
Sasha at the 2006 Olympics. After flubbing the first two jumps, the rest of that Romeo and Juliet program was sublime. The look on her face when she finished was absolutely heartbreaking. She did get the silver medal, but nobody wants to win it that way.

Last edited:

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
Others have mentioned it... Joannie in Vancouver....

The SP : i cried so much... I expected a different skate from her... it was perfect. A true champion

In the FP : WOW... there was one jump that was doubled but she managed to hang on and fought. I felt there was even more of courage shown there.

And then the waterworks : she was chosen to carry the flag. Normally, considering Canada had won 14 gold medals, and was on top of the medal board, any gold medal winner could have been chosen... but when she was announced as the flag bearer I was so happy... when I saw her on TV... I exploded in tears....

I could talk about the Canadian curse at the Olympics... how all these World Championship titles aren't welcome when they translate in not getting the gold at the games the following year.... ugh...

desertskates

Medalist
Add me to the Joannie 2010 group. I'm not much of a crier (I don't know if I have defective tear ducts, or what?) but I bawled like a baby for her. Most people would only be able to manage getting up and taking a shower in that situation. One of the strongest examples of mental toughness I've ever seen.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
The most bitter would be Daisuke getting robbed at 2012 Worlds...there have been a lot of other "wuzrobbed" competitions, but that one put me off of watching skating until Sochi. As for the sweetest, I can't think of anything major. There have been a lot of small victories for my favorites, but I hope that the best is still yet to come.

TT_Fin

The second worst besserwisser in the world
Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Midori Ido was often underscored. Her 1988 Olympics FS is one the best I've ever seen. Especially because she was technically so much ahead the others during those days.

anyanka

Record Breaker
Sweetest moments:

- Lu Chen's 1998 Oly FS, when she fought back and had to skate in a "B" competition the previous fall just to qualify for Nagano, and earning that bronze in the end

- Sarah Meier @ 2011E, skating one last time after a career of ups and downs because she just wanted to perform for her home crowd, and she caps off her career with a well-deserved European title

- Bourne / Kraatz, denied SO many times (UNFAIRLY), finally taking the 2003 world title after all the rubbish politics that kept them off the podium at so many events

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I too have a bitter, bitter memory of Sochi, but it has nothing to do with the sweetness that was the ladies' result...

Rather, poor Brendan, crying before he even finished his SP, because he knew already that he would not make the free skate, and then he would finish last. Four years have turned him into a skater for whom I need not worry about making cuts anymore, but that was the bitterest of memories. I hope he can replace it with a sweet one next year.

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Also sweet moment:

Ashley Wagner - Silver Medal last year in the World Championships!

Siudek / Siudek getting Bronze in their last European Championships in front of home crowd back in 2007.

And another slightly bitter one:

Daisuke Takahashi being denied Gold Medal in 2012 Worlds after astounding "Blues for Klook" program.

In that time Patrick Chan skating was leaving me cold but he was winning - often amidst controversies so I was mad. Meanwhile Daisuke was my favourite skater.

Last edited:

Anastasi14

On the Ice
I could talk about the Canadian curse at the Olympics... how all these World Championship titles aren't welcome when they translate in not getting the gold at the games the following year.... ugh...

Oh no, why did you remind me about that......:sad21::cry:

But I think Patrick's victory at Cup of China and Tessa and Scott's victory at NHK were the happiest moments of this season for me.

KatGrace1925

Medalist
I have a few, some are recent.

Gracie Gold, 2016 worlds. It wasn't that long ago but thinking about it is painful. Her short program was the best shr had ever done and I thought that she really could win this. The free program was painful and the aftermath has been chaotic.

Yuna Kim not winning a second gold was hard for me too, as was pretty much everytime I actually believed Sasha might skate a clean long this time!

Yulia Lipitniskaya at this seasons Rosteleton cup. I have been hoping for her comeback for so long that it was very hard for me to watch her at this competition.

Jeremy Abott's short program at the Sochi olympics, that fall looked so painful and I was worried for him.

Max Aaron 2016 nationals. The gold medal postion should have neen his,

Lota

Record Breaker
As some have mentioned, Daisuke Takahashi 2012 Worlds edition. How he got only silver is beyond me, I think I was literally screaming at my TV at that point :laugh: :cry:

As for a sweet memory, Denis Ten at Worlds 2013. I wasn't really a big fan or anything, but I think I almost cried when his LP ended, I was so happy for him. The stories when athletes struggle and finally manage to muster the strength, get back on their feet and show their potential really get to me :') (Florent Amodio at Europeans 2016, in the same vein).

Globetrotter

Medalist
Bitter: Plushy's silver reaction at Vancouver 2010; Daisuke's silver in WC 2012; Kwan's hands down on the 3F during her LP in SLC 2002.

Sweet: Maria B and Irina Slutskaya's wins at WC 1999 and 2005; Javier's repeat WC in 2016; CaroK's 2014 SP in Sochi having upgraded her tech.

Bittersweet: Joannie Rochette in Vancouver 2010; Midori Ito in Albertville 1992 going for a 3A late in her free skate purely for pride; Plushy's team skate in Sochi which will turn out to be his swan song.

Most bittersweet: Mao Asada's free skate Sochi 2014, skated only for herself, for her audience and for personal pride in the first 8 triple programme which was unfairly called for the 3F3R< which looked clean, and underscored in PCS when she skated her heart out especially the ending StSq.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Bitter : Yuna Sochi
Mao Sochi
Daisuke worlds 2012 (I was not happy that day)
Pechalat/Bourzat worlds 2014 (Heartbreaking)
Plushenko 2010 Olympics

Sweet : Yuna 2010 (as a young woman full of dreams, this was the epitome of girl power for me at the time)
Mao 2008 world title
Yuzuru world 2012 : I was blown away, i've never heard of him before and I said that day : he is going to be OGM
Virtue/Moir worlds 2008 : never heard of them before and their free dance sent me out to places emotionally, this was magical
Papadakis/Cizeron Cup of China 2014 : blown away with their FD and their surprise win, they were unknown before that competition
Shibutani's Fix you at Nationals : my favourite programm of them
Parsons/Parsons 2017 Jr Worlds : so happy to have seen such a great FD for Juniors , I became a fan last weekend ! :hap10:

Last edited:

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland
Bittersweet:

Florent Amodio LP at Europeans in 2016 - his goodbye to competitive skating. Memorable moment.

Last edited:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Just realised that I have another deeply bitter Sochi memory:

Watching Jeremy Abbott be a complete waste of an Olympic spot, while sitting at home was someone who would never have disrespected his teammates in such a way and would never have given up.

And that memory will only get more bitter if the next year goes as I fear it will.